*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/964134-Escape-to-Paradise
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #964134
A story of man finding love, and his desires
ESCAPE TO PARADISE


Gavin turned and flipped restlessly in his bed until he was awake. He rubbed his eyes and noticed he was breathing hard. After a deep breath he laid down and relaxed. He didn’t know why he awoke tossing and turning, or why he was breathing hard. His eyes blinked a few times and noticed his hands and chest felt very warm, as if someone had been pressed against him. His face felt cold and dry, as if wind had been blowing against it.
He sat up and looked around his tent. Nobody was there, and it looked as though nobody had been there. Confused, Gavin laid down, closed his eyes in a vain attempt to fall back asleep. But he was too confused. He tried to find the answer to his peculiar questions; why he was stirring, why he felt the touch of someone when he awoke. It didn’t make much sense, but then images began to fill his mind.
He became fully alert and sat up. A dream. He had been having a dream of some kind. His head began to hurt as he tried desperately to remember it. But he couldn’t. All he could see were blurred colors and muffled sounds he couldn’t identify. He closed his eyes and tried to make sense of them but eventually the blurred images faded from his mind.
He sighed and left his bed. He pulled on a red robe with his family crest stitched on the back, and tied his sword to his waist. After putting on his boots he walked into the cool morning breeze of the great canyon. He stared at the red horizon. The sun was beginning to climb into the sky. Soon the canyon would be illuminated and he would be able to see his people’s destination, the Crag Mountains.
His countrymen were still sleeping in their tents, all facing the Crag Mountains. They believed they were heading to the future, a place where they could prosper. They all believed once they reached the Crag Mountains they would create a new civilization that would surpass their old one. They wanted to make a bigger and better civilization to replace their fallen one.
But Gavin always told himself the truth. He, and his people, were running for their lives. Their great city was destroyed by barbarian invaders, and they had been forced to run to the Crag Mountains to seek sanctuary from their allies. Thousands had already been killed by these barbarians, and there were only a few hundred left. They weren’t moving to create a new civilization because they felt they could make a better one; their pride had been hurt, and they were retaliating.
Gavin had seen his people lie to themselves, and believe it. Arrogance. They believed they were smarter, bigger, faster than the entire world, even though Barbarians had nearly wiped them out. Unfortunately he had to be a part of it. He was their prince, and would soon be their king. His father was old, and would probably die soon after they reached the Crag Mountains.
The thought of ruling his people sickened Gavin. The thought of responsibilities, decision making, and public appearances were all despicable to Gavin. But there was nothing he could do about it. According to his father and mother it was his responsibility to rule, and there was nothing he could do to escape it.
He scanned the horizon again. The sun had almost fully risen, and he could see the Crag Mountains in the distance. He shook his head and turned back to his tent. But then he paused and looked at the forest to the east. It bordered the plains and stretched beyond his sight. He stared at it for a moment, not really sure why. He remembered the blurred colors of his dreams, and though he might have been in a forest.
He tried to think of more, but then he heard the sounds of people leaving their tents and stretching in the morning sunlight. He quickly and quietly entered his tent.

*
The rays of the sun felt like giant clubs beating down on Gavin as he led his people through the canyon. Nobody else paid attention to the heat, but they didn’t acknowledge they were running for their lives either.
His horse trotted softly next to his mother, Queen Isabella, and his sister, Keri. His mother waved a fan in her face and stood tall in the afternoon sun, her nose slightly pointed to the sky. Sweat was pouring down her face and soaking her elaborate and heavy dress, but she didn’t let it stop her from looking proud and noble. His sister sat quietly and still; she was deep in thought, as she always. He believed Keri would make an excellent king because she understood how the world looked.
And to the right of Gavin rode his ageing father, the king of their refuge people. He was hunched over, his gray hair falling in his wrinkled face, his beard reaching to his waist. Gavin both loved, and hated his father. He loved his father for the care and teachings he had received from him. But he hated his father for being a king and thus unable to show love. They had a good relationship, they kind any father and son should have. But it always seemed synthetic, transparent, and fake.
His father always told Gavin how proud he made him feel, but never showed him any affection. Being a king eliminated that possibility when you’re expected to be strong for your people. Gavin looked at his father with sorrow, wondering how their relationship would be if he wasn’t a king.
As if the king had read his mind, he lifted his head and looked at the Crag Mountains.
“I sure hope I will be blessed enough to see our people begin their new lives,” he said. He made the comment hoping to gain sympathy. The king felt he had a great burden to bear. He had seen the city of his fathers destroyed, and his people nearly wiped out. Adding to his burden was the lifetime he had seen watching his people advance farther then they ever had before.
While he ruled his people had created new technologies for farming, weapons, wall fortification, trade, fishing, and shipping. It seemed there would never be any poverty or sickness. Life became more comfortable and luxurious. Even the smallest homes seemed like grand castles once inside. Everyone was rich, and could afford anything they wanted, and they did. Everyone indulged themselves in their desires, and they were happy.
But then the barbarians came, and destroyed them quickly. The weapons they had created couldn’t protect them because nobody was trained to operate them. The fortified walls were useless because the barbarians used ladders. The farms were destroyed, their money was robbed, and their library’s buried. And nobody was living pleasantly now.
“I’m sure you will live long enough for us to reach our salvation,” the queen said monotonously never changing her posture. His sister rode over to her father and held his hand comfortingly.
“If not,” he said, “Then our salvation will be in your hands Gavin.”
“Yes father,” Gavin said looking into the plain that stretched for miles ahead of him.
“You have a duty to your people, and I am sure you will fulfill it wisely,” the king said. “For a king must. You must rule with sacrifice, giving your life to the good of the people.”
“Yes father,” Gavin repeated. The plain seemed to go on forever into the distance, and he wondered if they would ever reach their destination. His father went on telling Gavin how to rule a kingdom. Ruling a kingdom meant living for the people, telling citizens to live for the people, setting the sacrificial example for them, while enjoying the center of love and attention at the same time because you were special, and ruled with an inherited right. The speech was all too familiar because he had heard it several times before. He mostly heard this speech in class rooms, and through closed doors, as his father had told his two older brothers, the same things.
But now that his two brothers were both dead and lying peacefully in an old sanctuary, if it hadn’t been destroyed, the speeches were directed at him. Gavin listened, but stared forward as he did. His mother nodded properly at everything his father said, and his sister held the kings hand caringly, never looking up.
Just when Gavin felt he couldn’t take anymore, a soldier trotted forward. It was the captain of what was left of the royal guard. The only trained soldiers left. He slowed his horse and matched pace with his family’s horses and saluted the king.
“My lord you should come look at this,” he said.
“I will,” Gavin said. The king muttered an agreement, saying it was the responsible thing to do. Gavin broke away and rode with the captain; he was relived to get away from his fathers lectures that had probably been in his family for hundreds of years. They rode for a few moments in silence, towards the end of the company, when he heard a gallop behind him. His sister was coming towards them, so Gavin waited.
“I feel you need company, and that you are not the only one who needs to escape father,” she said with a smile. Gavin smiled back. His sister only smiled in his presence, it was a part of their special relationship. They understood each other, and gave each other comfort in times of depression and angst.
They rode on until they reached the end of the marching people. The captain stopped his horse and pointed to the south. Gavin looked but all he could see was more endless plains.
“They’re coming,” the captain said. “One of my scouts has seen them.”
“The barbarians?” Keri asked.
“Yes,” The captain said.
“Are you sure,” Gavin asked. The captain looked at him sternly and nodded. “How much time do you believe we have?”
“Roughly ten hours and they’ll be upon us,” the captain said.
“Prepare your men,” Gavin said in his stern voice, careful to show no fear, another lesson his father had taught him. “We will go and tell the king.” The captain nodded and rode away to follow his orders. Gavin and his sister turned back and began to ride back to the front of the company.
They rode in silence for a few moments. Fear invaded Gavin’s mind as he remembered the last battle they had with the barbarians. They never stood a chance against them, and now they were weaker, and more vulnerable. Nobody seemed to agree with him though, but Gavin had become used to their arrogance by now.
His sister seemed to notice his apprehension. She lifted her eyebrow as she always did when she was studying people. Finally she spoke.
“Does this battle worry you?” she asked.
“Yes, it worries me a lot,” he said. “I don’t believe we will survive another battle. We must either reach our allies before they attack, or find some way to disperse.”
“You believe breaking our people would be a good idea?” She asked, somewhat surprised. He nodded and stared forward at the mountains. “Why?”
“Because we can’t defend ourselves,” he said sternly. “We barely survived the last one, despite what people believe.”
“What do you believe happened?” She asked.
“Honestly?” he asked.
“Honestly,” she answered. He nodded and answered, a grim look was on his face.
“We weren’t prepared.” His sister held back a laugh. Gavin’s lips squeezed together and calmed a little burst of anger within him.
“How can you say we weren’t prepared?” She asked. “We had the technological advantage…”
“There was no advantage,” Gavin interrupted. “I was there on the front lines, and I saw it with my own eyes! Our soldiers didn’t know how to use their crossbows, or the catapults we created. And when the enemy invaded our city and came upon us, they had forgotten how to use their bows, and most couldn’t even raise their swords. Our advantages became the cause our downfalls.”
“The soldiers didn’t know how to use the crossbows?” she asked. “I find that hard to believe.”
“Believe it, because I saw it with my own eyes. Nobody had bothered to train the soldiers properly, because we never believed anyone would dare try to invade our city. We may as well have been fighting with brooms.”
“And why do you think our father would believe no one would dare to attack us?” she asked. Defensiveness was thick in her voice. She loved her father and family, but her defensiveness surprised Gavin. He had always thought she was the only voice of reason in their family.
“If you really want to know the truth, it’s because he believed he had conquered nature, and he relied on intimidation to keep our enemies away,” Gavin said calmly trying not to offend his sister more.
“I don’t understand what you mean,” she said.
“He believed his technological advances would keep us safe from everyone. But these new technologies only created a dependency, and we lost what we had depended on for generations before.”
“What did we used to depend on before?” She asked.
“On the natural ways of the world, and the goodness and fellowship of people,” Gavin said. A sense of longing was in his voice, and he seemed to grow distant from his sister. His gaze also wandered to the forest, and he stared hard into it. “This world was created without technology, just nature. We defile it by trying to improve upon it, and that’s why the barbarians defeated us.”
“Interesting,” his sister replied. Gavin nodded and tore his gaze away from the woods. They walked the rest of the way in silence, each lost in their own thoughts.
Gavin reported the news to his father. The king agreed with Gavin’s decision, but acted as if it was his own. He ordered the people to continue on ahead, and for the army to stay behind and fight. Then ordered Gavin to stay and fight while the rest of his family continued with the rest of the people.
He was saddened by this decision but expected it. His father had always asked him to perform tasks he would later take credit for. Gavin if he was just a tool to bring him glory. But he didn’t have time to wrestle with these demons now; he had to prepare to defend his people.


*
A face with beams of golden light illuminated his eyes. He blinked several times, but the light was shinning too brightly. He stepped backwards and tried to see where the glorious light was coming from. His eyes were too tainted by darkness to see clearly, but he thought he saw the figure of a woman. She was wrapped in her long golden glistening hair, which was the source of the beautiful light.
He had never seen such light like this before. He tried to move closer, despite the brightness. With each step he could see more and more of face, but the brightness put strain on his eyes. However he kept moving forward because of her face was becoming clearer and he had never seen such a face before.
He became entranced by her beauty, and a strong desire to touch her overcame him. But as he reached out his hand a sudden surge of light exploded from her hair, and it became too much for his eyes. He covered them with his hands, and turned away.
When Gavin uncovered his eyes and found himself back in his tent. He quickly believed he must have been dreaming, and quickly stood up. He was still dressed, and remembered he was awaiting a battle. He went outside his tent and noticed it was cloudy and rather dark.
The army was assembled and awaiting the barbarians. Gavin looked at them all with sorrow. Many would die today because they couldn’t even wield a sword. Most were ghostly pale with fear as they should be.
Sitting himself comfortably on his horse, Gavin rode to meet with the captain. The captain was waiting for him at the front of the lines. He was staring into the distance.
“What’s our position?” Gavin asked.
“They should be here within moments,” the captain replied quietly.
“Then let them come,” Gavin said trying to sound brave. The captain nodded.
The army watched the horizon quietly. Nobody moved. Fear had overtaken them, because they all remembered what had happened last time.
As the barbarian army approached them Gavin began to chant his responsibilities over and over in his mind. He was hoping it would help with his fear, but it didn’t. Finally he admitted he had lost all hope. He watched the barbarian army charge at them, and he stood still on his horse. He drew his sword and held it steadily in front of him, even though his heart was beating through his armor.
The two armies charged into each other. The barbarians fought with glamorous swords and armor they created in honor of their god. They fought with aggression and without fear. The banners of their people were held high, and the glorious music of their battle horns could be heard for miles.
Gavin’s people fled with fright. Many tried to reach the forest, but the barbarians overcame them, and they were slaughtered mercilessly. Meanwhile Gavin fought with all the strength he had. He believed he would die today in this battle, but he was determined to die honorably, if that meant anything in death.
However they became quickly overpowered and Gavin’s men were fleeing in every direction. He panicked because he knew they had to make a stand, if only to give more time for his people to reach the Crag Mountains. But none would stay and fight, even with his encouraging calls.
“We have them now, keep fighting!” he shouted as loud as he could. “They will fall to us.” But the men didn’t believe his lies. Gavin even thought it was ironic that now, near the end of their lives, they finally saw the truth, or at least a small portion of the truth.
Gavin rode his horse and waved his sword ferociously. He killed as many of the barbarians as his sword could touch. But soon he was hopelessly outnumbered, and the barbarians began to surround him.
Without a single thought crossing his mind Gavin looked at the forest, and began to ride towards it. He didn’t know why he chose the forest, but it seemed to be inviting him. He almost thought the woods were offering him sanctuary, and would protect him.
The barbarians formed a line and followed after him, swords drawn, and horns bellowing. A few arrows from the long bows of the cavalry archer’s whished by Gavin’s head making his heart beat hard and fast. He kicked his horse hoping it would gallop faster. His mind was focused on one thing, reaching the forest; he lost sight of everything else around him.
Time seemed to slow down as he tried to reach the forest. He thought he saw each blade of grass as he rode by it. And then his mouth opened, and his eyes squinted curiously at what he thought he saw. A woman, a strangely familiar woman, was standing at the edge of the forest, bright light surrounding her. Gavin blinked his eyes, and when he opened them again she was gone.
Just then an arrow struck his horse in the neck, and it collapsed sending Gavin flying forward. He hit the ground hard, face first. His body skipped on the ground as a pebble skips on water. When his body stopped rolling he looked forward and saw that forest just ahead. But he heard the sound of galloping hoofs behind him, and he realized they were approaching.
The light faded, and soon he saw nor heard anything.

*
Small light sensations fill his consciousness. For a moment he thinks he feels soft earth under his feet. In another moment he thinks cool water being splashed against his face. Water, wind, the sweet smells of morning dew, the soothing sounds of chirping birds, the colors of autumn trees. Every moment is a new sensation, and every moment leaves as quickly as it came.
He tried to make sense of it, but apart of him doesn’t want too. Each sensation feels good, and trying to understand them may make them vanish. But he noticed there was as much darkness as light, as much singing as empty sounds, and as many sweet fragrances as dull tasteless air.
He also thought he saw the girl, the heavenly beauty from his dreams. At one moment he felt they were running through the forest together. His armor was gone, and she covered herself only with her glistening golden hair. But then there was darkness, and nothing else.
Next he felt himself lying on a cool surface, and the sound of falling water filled his ears. He was lying on his back, and she was leaning over him. He felt his wounds being healed as if by magic, but then there was darkness again.
Then he felt himself sitting in a cave behind a waterfall. He looked out into the falling water and admired its beauty. She was next to him, staring into his eyes. He stared back in wonder. Her eyes were blue, and as deep as the loneliest caverns in the ocean.
But then he tore his eyes away realizing he had left his people. He stood up disregarding the woman who had brought him here. He looked around wondering what had happened to them. He wondered if the barbarians had caught up to his people, his father, mother and sister. He wondered how worried they may be about him.
“I have to go back,” he said. And then darkness overcame him again.

*
His eyes snapped open and immediately snapped shut. He was inside a tent, one of his own people’s and the light hurt his eyes, even though it was dull and only coming from a small candle.
“You’re awake,” said a familiar voice. “I’m relieved. It’s been almost a day.” The voice belonged to his sister and Gavin faintly recognized it.
“Keri?” he squeaked out quietly. His throat was scratchy and sore. “How did I get here?”
“It’s a strange story,” she said in a monotone voice. Gavin knew that meant it was not only strange but disturbing. “During the battle some of our men fled to the mountains. When they arrived they said they had seen you fall in battle. They told us you were surrounded and killed by the barbarians.”
“Yes, that is how I recall it,” Gavin said. Keri nodded and continued.
“However we found your body by the side of the forest yesterday in the early afternoon. You were unconscious, but breathing. So we brought you here and we’ve been caring for you ever since.” Gavin slowly opened his eyes and nodded.
“That is strange,” he said. He sat up and winced in pain. He felt as though every muscle in his body was stiff and sore. But he looked down to where his wounds had been, the wounds he had in his visions, and they were already healed.
“Who healed these?” he asked. He showed them to Keri who looked at them strangely.
“We thought they were old wounds,” she said. Gavin shook his head.
“These were dealt to me in the last battle. But they look as though they’ve been mended for almost a week,” he said. He looked at her curiously. “How long ago was the battle?”
“Nearly four days ago,” she said cautiously. Gavin shook his head in disbelief. Springing from his bed he quickly grabbed a robe and rushed outside the tent, Keri followed close behind. When he emerged into the sunlight he noticed he was not on the plains anymore, but on a mountainside. His people had reached the Crag Mountains.
He looked down the mountainside and noticed a small army gathered below. He looked up the mountainside and saw a marvelous city built into its side. Then he looked around him and noticed his people were all staying on a small clearing between the plains and the mountain city. His father’s tent was not far away, and he walked toward it. Keri tried to keep up with him.
“What’s wrong, why are you so alarmed?” she asked desperately.
“I don’t know,” Gavin said. “But I need father’s council.”
“Take mine first,” she said and grabbed him by his belt. Gavin stopped immediately. He knew Keri wouldn’t grab on to his belt if it was important. “Why are you so alarmed?” she asked again staring intensely at him. He relaxed, looked to the ground, sighed and told her everything about the battle and the visions he had.
After he finished Keri looked at him solemnly and sympathetically. “So you’re not sure if this is real or not. Is that why you seek his council?” Gavin nodded. Keri smiled and placed her hands on his face tenderly. “These were only the reflections of your heart, your true desires. Do not be troubled by them.” Gavin nodded again.
“But it would still be good to inform him I’m alive and well,” he said. Keri’s smile faded, but she let go of his belt and let him continue to his father’s tent.
He entered the tent and saw there was a young man standing in front of his old father. His physic was slim and lean, but he carried a broad sword on his belt. His cape was made of a rich fabric, and he wore a golden crown on his head. His father saw Gavin and a look of surprise came over his face.
“Ahh my son, you’re alive,” he said. Gavin only felt a small amount of anger when his father didn’t get up to greet him; his father didn’t move a muscle.
“Yes I am,” Gavin said blankly. “Who is he?” Gavin asked referring to the stranger.
“This is Prince William, of the Crag people,” His father said.
“Oh,” said Gavin slightly ashamed. He quickly introduced himself to the prince, who said nothing and looked at him rather arrogantly. “So what brings him here?” Gavin asked.
“I was in the middle of making him the heir to this kingdom,” his father said plainly. Gavin blinked his eyes in shock.
“Why would you do that?” he asked trying to hide his surprise. The arrogant prince stepped back into a corner of the tent, hiding his face in the shadows.
“I heard your condition was bleak so I decided to prepare,” his father said. The King seemed surprised that as to why Gavin looked upset. He clenched his fists.
“I’m not dead, nor was I ever,” he said. “Did you even come and see me?”
“I was too busy picking another heir,” his father said. “I didn’t have time.”
“Not even for your own son?” Gavin asked and stormed out of the tent.
Outside his fathers tent was his mother was nearby. She saw him and immediately called him over. She had a grim look on her face.
“Gavin,” she said sternly. “We need to talk.”
“Not now mother I need to be alone,” Gavin said trying to break away from her.
“No you and I must talk now,” she said very sternly. Gavin stopped reluctantly and sighed. Keri walked behind his mother and looked at him with sorrow. She knew how hurt he was.
“What do you want,” he said quietly with his back turned to her.
“I want to know where you went during the battle, where you tried to run away too.” He turned around and looked at her, he felt as though he had been shot with an arrow.
“You think I tried to run away?” he asked.
“Don’t pretend to be innocent with me,” she snapped. His eyes widened but before he could say anything she continued. “I know as well as you do that you ran. But that doesn’t matter now, just don’t do it again. We have to defend ourselves again, with the help of the Crag people. But we need you to lead it.”
“Why, father already found a replacement for me, just as I was a replacement for my two brothers,” he spat.
“But you are here again, and you have the responsibility of leading our people. We need to rebuild ourselves to our former status. Recreate our advance technology, rebuild our great towers, rewrite our philosophies and music, and re-establish our government.” Gavin could only shake his head. He thought of saying something to refute her, but let out his breathe and turned away.
“I’ll go prepare,” he said as he entered his tent.

*

Gavin laid in his bed for hours staring at the roof of his tent. His mind was racing with all that had happened today. He remembered feeling so worried about the feelings of his family and his responsibilities, but now he wondered if his life really mattered to his people. He tried to think of ways he was of worth, but it only filled him with sorrow. Finally he gave up and started to drift asleep.
He opened his eyes and gasped at his surroundings. He was back in the plains, and facing the thick forest. He looked for other people, but there was none. But his eyes were drawn back to the forest, and on its threshold was the woman.
Once again she was covered only be her glistening golden hair. Gavin squinted his eyes in the light she emanated, and he thought she was waving her arm for him to come to her. He wanted to run towards her, but hesitated, and darkness flooded his consciousness.
Gavin opened his eyes slowly and saw it was still dark outside. He was groggy and still sleepy, but the woman was all he could think about. Who was she? What did she want? Why did she take care of him? Why would she be this kind to a total stranger? Gavin tossed and turned in his bed and fell asleep again.
He felt the soft touch of warm lips against his own. After slowly opening his eyes he saw her standing over him. Her soft hands were gently holding his face, and her eyes were staring deeply into his. He stared back at her, a gentle caring stare, for he was no longer worried about responsibilities, or who she was.
His hand touched hers and all the aches and pain in his body melted away. She stood up, her golden hair falling around her body, and took his hand in her own. She smiled at him and he smiled back. He looked around. They were back at the caves behind the waterfall, and he felt safe, and happy.
She led him out of the caves, by the hand, and into the woods. There she smiled, dropped his hand, and sped off into the woods laughing. Her laugh sounded like new birds chirping in spring, or like a soft wind blowing through leaves. He smiled and followed his desire. He ran after her as fast as he could, but she was fast.
He followed her for several minutes, barely keeping her in sight. But then he stopped when he found himself in familiar place. She had led him in a circle back to the waterfall and cave. His eyes were drawn to the top of the waterfall where she was standing, her golden light illuminating their secret place.
The falling water slowed, the shadows disappeared, and the air was filled with sweet heavenly singing. She jumped from the cliff and fell towards the water, but just before she reached the bottom a wave rose and carried her over to him. She stepped off the wave as you would step off a stair and stood face to face with him.
She wrapped her arms around him, and kissed him softly. He was nervous and unsure what to do. But these feelings melted away as he felt her warm embrace. Slowly he placed his arms around her, and kissed her back….

*

As Gavin’s eyes opened and saw he was sitting on his horse at the bottom of the mountain. He gasped and frantically looked around. There were hundreds of other horses and soldiers, all preparing for battle.
“No,” he whispered to himself. “No, it can’t be.” He kicked his horse and galloped around the massing troops. His eyes swelled with tears when he saw the forest to the east. He wanted to go back to her, to whoever she was. But it was obvious she wasn’t real, and his heart ached at the realization.
“Gavin!” he heard someone shout. He turned and saw his mother and sister galloping towards him very quickly. His mother had an angry look on his face, and his sister was full of sorrow. His head dropped and he looked down.
“Don’t you dare think of running again!” She snapped when they reached him.
“I wasn’t,” he said quietly. “I just thought I saw something.”
“Good,” she spat and turned to ride away. Keri remained and stared at her brother.
“What did you see?” she asked sympathetically. “What did you really see?”
“I saw what humanity was meant to be,” he said not knowing what inspired these words. “I saw how we were supposed to live, how we were supposed to act, and how we were supposed to look.”
“It’s just your heart,” she said. “You need to appease it.”
“I can’t,” he said and rode back to the massing troops. She followed him.
“Why can’t you?” she asked.
“Because there’s too much to do here, even though it’s all in vain,” he said.
“Why do you think it’s in vain?” She asked. “Our people, our culture, are a great people. One everyone should be proud of. We have overcome many feats, recorded an outstanding history, discovered the uses of this world, and achieved many feats in philosophy and music. None of it was in vain, we are a good people.” Gavin stopped and faced her, a dark look on his face.
“What was the point of all those advances?” he asked. “What good comes from pride and power? We were proud and powerful, and yet we fell. People died, our history destroyed, our city destroyed. Did our philosophies help us? No. Did technology help us? No. Did our faith and reliance in our achievements aid us when we lost? All we did was feed our arrogance, and arrogance does not hold back swords.” He said grimly.
“We lost our faith in people, and our creator. That is why we have fallen, and we will always fall if we continue to be prideful. These enemies are not barbarians; they are defenders of the holy life.” He turned and rode away.

*
Gavin stood on the front lines staring at the barbarian army advancing. The prince his father had chosen to be the heir to his thrown was standing before them giving orders. This time they outnumbered the barbarians, but Gavin no longer cared if he lived or died.
Prince William gave the word and the soldiers charged into the barbarian ranks. Gavin raised his sword, but gave no cry, for he had no determination. He rode with the soldiers and fought the barbarians, but without purpose.
He saw many more of his people fall dead to the earth. And he cried inside for each of their souls. But then he was struck by a sword and fell as well. He crashed hard onto the cold earth and gasped in pain. An arrow had pierced his armor and was embedded close to his shoulder.
He crawled over to a large boulder to try and stay away from the fighting, which was continuing all around him. Gavin looked to the east and into the forest. His eyes swelled with tears as he felt his body grow weaker. He struggled to breath, and soon it was a struggle to hold his body up as well. But he kept his eyes on the forest despite the strain and pain.
But soon his eyes struggled to remain open, and he could barely hold himself up any longer. He could barely breathe, and with every breath he thought it may be his last. But still he gazed at the forest, hoping to see her.
Darkness began to fill his consciousness, just like his dreams, and his arms couldn’t hold himself up anymore. He collapsed, still facing the forest.
But then a bright light emerged from the forest, and time slowed all around him. Gavin felt his strength return, and his pain decease. He looked back to the battle and was amazed at what he saw. Time was frozen in place, nobody was moving, and nobody seemed to notice.
He turned back to the forest trying to see if the light was from the woman in his dreams. She was there, standing at the edge of the forest, with the smile of new born fairies on her face. Such joy and grace he had never seen in any creature.
He felt his body being lifted, and he stood by the rock gazing at her. She waved her arms for him to join her. And he wanted to so badly, but he didn’t know if he was dying, or dreaming, and both scared him.
“Just go,” he heard someone whisper behind him. He turned and saw Keri standing behind him.
“How…” he began but she shook her head.
“That is where your heart lies. Go,” she said.
“But what of….?”
“Our people will continuously be at war with others,” she began. “We will survive this conflict, but there will be endless more. The world has changed and become divided by pride and arrogance, as you said it had. You are lucky to be spared of it, as many will want to themselves. Now go.” She waved her arm at him to go. Gavin nodded and turned back to the forest.
She was still there, beckoning for him to come to her. He ran to her as fast as his legs could carry him. When he reached her his fears and worries dissolved. She took his hand in hers and led him into the forest. She began to run, and he ran beside her, neither ahead of the other.
As he ran his armor fell off his body freely, and he felt as though a burden was lifted from his shoulders. Then his other clothing fell off to, and lay on the earth never to be worn again. They continued to run side by side through thick forest until they came to a clearing with their waterfall and cave.
Gavin gazed at the scenery and it took his breath away. Everything was real now, no dreams or visions. She took his hand again, and together they jumped into the cool water. As Gavin fell into the water he felt clean, refreshed, and loved for the first time in this life.
© Copyright 2005 Phil Liaboe (phillydog413 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/964134-Escape-to-Paradise