*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/965350-Stille-Nacht
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #965350
How is she supposed to have Christmas without him?
She stood at the window, watching the snow fall and blow, not seeing a thing. Somewhere out there, distant sleigh bells told of laughing children or snuggling lovers riding through the park. Her mind was elsewhere. She was reciting that hateful letter over and over in her head.

“…missing in action…”

“…no further investigation at this time…”

“What does that mean? Is he dead? No further investigation?!?” she thought bitterly.

She turned to survey the apartment she had worked so hard to make ready for him. The Christmas tree in the corner glowed with its festive lights and ornaments, giving the room a cheery look that was not felt. The fireplace crackled as it tried to thaw the chill she had felt since the post came three days ago. The homey little room would have been perfect for his homecoming today. The letter that sat on the table by the window had ruined everything.

Sadly, she turned back to the snow, paying no attention to the hustle and bustle of the street below. She pulled the broken latch on the window, trying to lock out the shouts of “Merry Christmas!” and “Happy Holidays!” as excited shoppers passed each other on the sidewalk. She wanted only one thing for Christmas this year, and she wasn’t going to get it. She sighed as she remembered that she could have gone to her parents’ house in the country. She stayed in town so she could see him in private before they were bombarded with family anxious to see him, too. She had not told them he wasn’t coming. She couldn’t face them yet.

Suddenly she heard a sound, as soft and quiet as the drifting snow outside. The door! She turned, knowing she was mistaken. How many times had she thought she heard that door?

There in the doorway stood a figure. At first all she could see was a bouquet of roses and a uniform. Had she gone mad? What cruel hallucination was this? He saw her standing there and that unmistakable smile lit up his face. With a cry, she ran to him. He tossed the roses on top of the hateful letter and whisked her into his arms. A cold gust of wind picked up a few of the forgotten petals and drew them into the snow. The jingle of distant sleigh bells carried the petals as they drifted softly away.
© Copyright 2005 crewchief (crewchief at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/965350-Stille-Nacht