*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/966335-Howd-They-Do-That-Broadbent-Family
Rated: E · Article · Community · #966335
The amazing Social Worker adoptive mother to 3 girls living with AIDS
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
How’d They Do That? The Broadbent Family
Recap By J.G. Bird
4-11-05

Ty opens the show “We planned, we built, bought and fought” Paul relates that the crew and equipment congregate on Day one, before sunrise, at a truck stop. There is a police escort for the bus through a downtown area to the quiet Las Vegas cul de sac where Pat Broadbent’s home awaits. The show documents a megaphone malfunction. After a few tries, checking the batteries in the device, etc., Ty calls out the women of the Broadbent family.

We are introduced to her three girls, Haida, Trish and Shanna. There’s more in-depth discussion: All the intricacies of living in a home where everyone has medication to take – troubles trying to go off medication – Bucking the odds and living past your diagnosed life expectancy. Patricia Broadbent took in each of these girls, none with hopeful prognosis, yet the love she gives seems to do the most good. So, of course, with her current battle against cancer, Mrs. Broadbent is concerned for her adopted daughters’ future. Each designer gives their personal perspective on the powerful lessons to be learned from this family and having friends lost to AIDS.

Demolition & Construction starts at 6am the next day, but by 1pm Michael points out there’s still a house standing. The building inspector, permits, something is missing, so they have time to play with a mock boxing theme. Michael Buffer of Las Vegas’ “Let’s get ready to Rumble” fame is getting makeup applied. Getting shots of the designers doing the boxing commentary “skit” that goes along with this, I say Paul looks particularly nice without his glasses on! No one seems worried, although the actual construction crew is the one whose time is getting eaten away. The Motto, “One home at a time” KB Home CEO, Bruce Karatz, points out gives them grammatical license to be called “KB Home” rather than “KB Homes.”

With Demo complete and the house finally down, the design team members have time to show us in the TV audience, the circus that builds up around the build site. Tents and tables for food consumption are plentiful; Containers for storing; more Tents, VIP areas; scores of Port-a-pottys. The neighborhood has to put up with quite a lot, so the crew always does something in return. Here it will be fresh landscaping in the entire neighborhood.

In preparation for the Violin room for Trish we see Paul fumbling around in his attempts to disassemble numerous violins. Partly out of frustration, Paul introduces the idea for the three violin end table. Paul also demonstrates creating the needed proportions in the design for a music stand-inspired headboard.

In the almost completed room, Paul also shows the installation of the curved “Amphitheatre” practice alcove. Preston then is showing off the German-made $12,000 violin that is being given to Trish.

Ty’s room is Patricia’s retreat. I recall this room came out quite nice. So, it’s surprising to see that Ty has a near meltdown; wallpaper that was to be used in the room apparently has been scooped up by the cleaning crew and gets trashed. He is also behind on the furniture construction.

The original show was quite thorough in the reveal for this family’s large home, so for this rehash, the reveal segment is mostly snapshots. A happy look of astonishment over Shanna’s tie dye room and the magnetic poetry wall. Patricia’s approval of Ty’s taste shows in her face. She seems most impressed with a fireplace facing her bath.

The designers gather around the piano that was gifted to the family by Elton John. Trish plays. Preston notes that it is in these quieter, final moments that the designers get to spend around the recipient family that are most memorable for all.
© Copyright 2005 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/966335-Howd-They-Do-That-Broadbent-Family