*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/967329-Letters-to--Dragon
by Katia
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #967329
This is intended to be a children's story.
Long ago and far away there was a town that was terrorized by a dragon. This dragon set the houses aflame and scared the cattle. The town did all it could to stop the dragon. They sent knight after knight forward to face the dragon and rid the town of it's terror. However, each knight came back defeated and the dragon went on to cause more suffering. Then one day, Maggie May, a small girl with firery red hair, wrote a letter.

Dear Dragon,

Please stop setting fire to my village. Yesterday, some of your flames almost hit my bedroom. All of my books are in my bedroom and I would be very sad if any of them were lost! Please be a little more careful and I'm sure that we can all live happily ever after.

Sincerely,
Maggie May

Maggie May gave her letter to a knight traveling to the dragon's cave and waited patiently for a reply. Then one day she found a note under a rock outside of her door.

Maggie May,

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR VILLAGE! I WILL BLOW FIRE WHEREVER I WANT TO! I HOPE THAT ALL OF YOUR BOOKS CATCH ON FIRE!

LEAVE ME ALONE!
Dragon

P.S.
Your picture made me look like a duck! I am NOT a duck!

Maggie May was not easily put off. She was taught that she should always be kind to others if she wanted them to be kind to her, so she wrote another letter.

Dear Dragon,

Thank you for writing back to me! That was the first time that I ever got a letter from a dragon!
Dragon, you seem like you are mad. Why are you mad? I get mad a lot. Momma says it is my red hair that makes me get mad so easy, but that is not true. A lot of things make me mad, but not my red hair.
Here is a list of things that make me mad.
1. When my sister Lilly hits me.
2. When I tell my momma that I am full and she still says that I have to eat my peas.
3. When I have to take a nap even if I am not tired.
4. When I want to go play outside and someone says, "Sit still, Maggie May."
5. When I am playing a game outside and someone says that it is time to come in and that they are "counting to three."
Anyway, there are a lot of things that make me mad. Why are you mad, Dragon?
Please write back soon.
Sincerely,
Maggie May

Maggie may found the reply stuck to a tree.

Maggie May,

IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHY I AM MAD, AND I WILL STILL BLOW FIRE WHEREVER I WANT!

STOP WRITING TO ME!
Dragon
P.S.
I hope that someone tells you to "SIT STILL!"

Maggie May was stubborn. She wrote the dragon another letter.

Dear Dragon,

Now I know that you are mad, but I still wish that you wouldn't set fire to my village. I know you need to get your anger out, but you shouldn't use your fire for that. When I am mad I like to lie on my bed and kick and scream. My momma just lets me scream. She says that screaming doesn't hurt anyone and that it gets all of my anger out. My momma says that you should never hurt someone no matter how angry you are. Hurting people doesn't get your anger out it just makes you feel worse! It makes you feel sad and just more angry, but angry at yourself! Maybe you can lie in your cave and scream to get your anger out.
Please write back.
Sincerely,
Maggie May

Maggie May,

You are so nosey! If you must know, I am mad because everyone in your village is so mean to me! They are always yelling at me and they send knights with pointy sticks to hurt me! No one has ever asked Me to play a game outside!
Dragon
P.S.
Screaming in my cave does not help because it makes rocks fall down on my head!

Now Maggie May knew what to do!

Dear Dragon,

I am sorry that no one is nice to you. I would get mad too if someone tried to hurt me with pointy sticks, but you have to be nice for people to like you. The people in my village would stop sending the knights if you stopped burning our houses. Try being nice and not burning anything for a while.
Your Friend,
Maggie May

P.S.
You can come play hide and seek with me tomorrow.

After a while the village long ago and far away no longer had a problem with a fire breathing dragon. Now the villagers had a loyal protector and a great smore maker. Maggie May had a new friend who loved to write her letters.
© Copyright 2005 Katia (wakkokar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/967329-Letters-to--Dragon