*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/968543-The-Hallway
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Emotional · #968543
This is a descriptive essay I wrote for my 10th grade English class.
The Hallway


The hallway is the chaotic wonder of my school. People mix and mingle, talk, yell, whisper, dance, fight, eat . . . nothing is off-limits in the hallway. I am never alone, I am never afraid. There is confusion with all the commotion, but there is also comfort being in familiar, friendly surroundings. It is a place where I can talk to my friends, enjoy myself and forget about class for a few minutes.
A fight breaks out, a crowd gathers and there is more excitement in the hallway. People cheer and boo, some try to break it up, but most just watch and enjoy the display of human savagery. The pungent smell of the sweat fills my nose, engulfs me and urges my stomach to heave everything out. Just keep moving and forget about the fight, no one likes to dwell on pain and anger.
I still have plenty of time to go to my locker. My friend is waiting, a tall and lanky boy, yet very charming as he greets me. We walk on, bumping and jostling other schoolmates. As we reach my locker, my friend offers me a twinkie. I take a small bite and then spit the vile food out of my mouth. It tastes like a stale, bitter cake, stuffed with shortening. I spit the stuff out, open my locker, and reach in quickly and grab my water. Taking a swallow of the cool, refreshing liquid, I shut the locker and stalk angrily down the hallway, leaving my dumbfounded friend behind.
The hallway is emptying now as people flock to their separate classes, leaving me behind. Music is playing in the speakers above. I don’t recognize the song, but it is soothing, relaxing, soft and wonderful. The din of the hallway has died. There is peace. I can think, I can breathe, I can feel.
I have a test, but my materials are back at my locker. I’m going to be late, but it is better to be late than unprepared. Books and notes in hand, I try to run back to class but I sprained my ankle in P.E. today. The pain is too much but I must keep walking.
Sweat trickles down my face and back. Clinging to the sides of the hallway I try to hold myself up. I haven’t eaten anything all day except that horrid twinkie. The pain in my ankle is excruciating, and my backpack is weighing me down. I can’t hold myself up any longer, everything becomes a blur, my eyes darken, my head is spinning, I lose my footing and slip away from the wall. My body hits the floor with a thud.
A bright light. I am no longer in the hallway. I am alone on a white bed. My leg is suspended on a trapeze. Where am I? Why am I here? A doctor enters and suddenly everything becomes clear. I miss the hallway, my friends, my teachers.
The aching pain in my ankle is gone and the doctors are taking good care of me. I feel restless, I want to move, to be free, to run and jump and play. I remember the test, I can retake it. Now I have an extra day to study. Where can I go? What can I do in this place? I remove my foot shakily from the strap and, on two wobbly legs, I stand up, move, limp. I exit the room, a nurse is walking quickly by and takes no notice of me. The strange smell of sickness, pain, sorrow and blood. I look around and oddly enough, I feel comfort, joy, relief. In my mind, I am back, I can see the students yelling to each other, I can smell the sweat from the fighting boys, I see the blood. My friends are walking with me, talking, laughing. I am in the hallway, the surroundings all seem so familiar, the sweet sound of music, the wave of bodies flowing to and fro to their separate rooms. I am home, and a wonderful sense of peace consumes me in this, the chaotic wonder of my life. The hallway.
© Copyright 2005 Bradley Corry (bradleycorry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/968543-The-Hallway