*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/972680-Funeral-for-a-Friend-Screenplay
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · LGBTQ+ · #972680
Tom fakes his death to escape his controlling family.
FADE IN:

INT. CHURCH--DAY

A picture of a family: a father, a mother, and TOM as a little boy.

TOM (V.O.)

In my family, it was a sin to keep a secret. The only thing worse was to have a secret worth keeping. I guess I beat the system. I took my secret to the grave.


During Tom’s speech, other pictures are revealed, standing beside the first one. They chronicle the boy’s growth into a young man. It’s like looking at the mantle above someone’s fireplace. Except the pictures are displayed on top of a closed casket.

TOM (V.O.)

Don’t feel bad for me. I’m in a better place now.


CUT TO

The faces of the mourners, looks of devastation and disbelief. They dab their eyes with handkerchiefs. The upper balcony is empty, except for two young men--TOM and DYLAN. TOM stares at the funeral below in awe and terror.

FADE OUT.


TOM (V.O.)

This is the life I left behind.


SUPER: “ONE YEAR AGO”

INT. TOM’S APARTMENT--BEDROOM--DAY

TOM is in bed asleep.

TOM (V.O.)

I used to wake up every morning in a cold sweat, gasping for air, my nightmares giving way to an equally horrifying reality.


Tom opens his eyes, bolts upright, looks around, sits on the edge of the bed, cups his head in his hands, and takes a deep breath.

TOM (V.O.)

I lived the zombie life. Routine can comfort, but it can also kill.


INT. TOM’S FAMILY BUSINESS--DAY

TOM stocks shelves, takes inventory, etc.

TOM (V.O.)

I had to be at the family store by six-thirty to help open.


EXT. CAMPUS PARKING LOT--DAY

Tom parks his car and walks to class. He passes hundreds of students on the way.

TOM (V.O.)

I’d arrive at campus at about seven-forty-five. Just enough time to park and trek to class. Look at all these cool people. I wanted to talk to them so badly. But I didn’t know how.


INT. CLASS ROOM--DAY

TOM sits at a desk, gets out a notebook, and begins doodling. The students around him talk, laugh, and interact, but he keeps his head down.

TOM (V.O.)

I knew if I didn’t speak, I’d never make friends again or find someone to love. Still, I couldn’t overcome all the fear and the pain, not even to say a simple hello. Maybe I’d given up on making a connection with anyone. Maybe I’d just given up on myself.


The PROFESSOR enters, speaks, and hands out papers.

INSERT--TOM’S TERM PAPER WITH PROFESSOR’S COMMENTS IN RED INK.

“Tom, you have such thoughtful insight. Why don’t you speak up in class more often?”


EXT./INT. TOM’S APARTMENT--DAY

Tom walks in the front door, carrying his backpack. He is in the LIVING ROOM.

TOM (V.O.)

After class, I’d work at the store until six. Then I’d come home to my cocoon, where I’d nuke dinner and numb myself with television or movies until I was tired enough to sleep. Then the whole damn thing would start over again.


{left)FADE OUT.

TOM (V.O.)

I could have lived like that forever if I hadn’t met Dylan.


EXT. MOVIE THEATER--NIGHT

Tom stands in the rain outside the Kentucky Theater, an old-time movie palace. He is wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers. The marquee advertises a “Carey Grant Film Festival” on Screen 1 and a homosexual-themed film festival on Screen 2.

INT. MEN’S ROOM--NIGHT

Tom is crouched beneath a dryer, shivering. DYLAN, a handsome, dark-haired, well-dressed boy, enters.

DYLAN

Oh, my God. (laughs) What are you doing?


TOM

I’m trying to dry off. I’m so
c-c-cold.


DYLAN

You look like a junkie. Come here.


Dylan picks Tom up, puts his hands on Tom’s shoulders, and turns him around so he’s facing the dryer. Dylan turns the nozzle on the dryer upwards.

DYLAN

How’s that?


TOM

I didn’t want it blowing in my face. It’s too hot.


Dylan turns the nozzle sideways. Then he embraces Tom’s sopping wet body from behind, pulling Tom into him.

DYLAN

Then, how’s this?


TOM

Perfect. (Pause.) Heaven.


DYLAN

(Whispering)

I’ll hold you for as long as you want. But we’ll have to go somewhere else.


EXT./INT. TOM’S APARTMENT--LIVING ROOM--NIGHT

Tom leads Dylan into the apartment by the hand. They are both laughing. Tom looks into Dylan’s eyes and sighs.

TOM

I’ve never done this before.


DYLAN

What?


TOM

Let anyone in.


DYLAN

I’m glad I’m the first.


Dylan starts to kiss Tom and Tom takes a step back.

TOM

I’m sorry. I just-- This will be my first kiss.


Dylan smiles and strokes Tom’s cheek with the back of his hand.

TOM

Would you hold me again?


DYLAN

Sure. Come here.


Dylan sits in the floor, Indian style, and guides Tom to sit in front of him. Dylan puts his arms around Tom and kisses him on the back of the neck and his right ear.

DYLAN

(Whispering)

You don’t have to do anything until you’re ready.


Dylan holds Tom tighter. Tom turns his head toward Dylan and they kiss.

(Author's Note: There's a scene that goes here that I'm still writing.)

TOM (V.O.)

I wish I could say this was a new beginning. I wish I could say that Dylan healed my life. All I can say is that sometimes love is simply not enough.





© Copyright 2005 WildThing~Becoming (wildthing at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/972680-Funeral-for-a-Friend-Screenplay