*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/972974-You-Are-Not-Fat
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Opinion · #972974
Why girls complaining about being fat aren't what causes this in American society.
How many people are sick of their female friends saying “I’m fat.” When in all reality they are good looking, and have no real weight problem at all. Rather the problem lies in our culture and media. This portrayal while unattainable, is not “ideal” either.

Now I’m not talking about people who are cinically obese, already on diets, and are active. Most of these people wouldn’t complain about being fat, at least not complain to most people. Most of the complaining females are insecure about how they look and want some reassurance about their appearance.

Now what makes these girls so insecure about their physical shape? The wonderful culture of today. The culture which flaunts beautiful women in skimpy apparel, large breasts, an inverse waistline, and an overall figure that looks nearly emaciated. Ignoring the law of averages, not every woman can devote all of the time required to being that "pretty." Women still judge themselves against this incredibly high standard, and understandably, find themselves lacking.

This point was proven by the fact that a small Polynesian island was introduced to western media via TV. Over the next year the number of cases of bulimia and anorexia, which had been extremely rare on this island, skyrocketed. This shows that it is the media and its portrayal of a “perfect body” coupled with a culture that idealizes this image, that drives females to torture themselves to perfection.

All this worry over a perfect body is in vain as well. In a survey conducted by psychologists, men were asked to pick a certain height to weight ratio they found attractive. Women were then asked to pick a ratio they thought men desired. The results showed that women picked a ratio much lower than men did. So, in fact, men want fatter women than women think men want.

This idea makes senses looking at it from a primal sense. Men are attracted to the opposite sex, on a base level, by an appearance of fertility. A woman who is skinny does not looks as fertile as another woman who has a little more fat on her.

So all-in-all, women don’t need to worry about their appearance as they generally think they do, specifically their weight. They are bad judges of what a man does or does not find “desirable.” If they want to feel healthier then they should just gett off their butts, do some exercise, and cut out junk food.
© Copyright 2005 Nathaniel Louis (rougewolf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/972974-You-Are-Not-Fat