*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/974176-Barely-Making-a-living
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Drama · #974176
A Monologue about a man who lost his job. Please review!
Barely making a living (c)
a monologue by Chase McCall

Setting: A modern day apartment in the US. A little trashy. There is a small armchair and a floorlamp.

Character Description: A 48 year old single man living with his 19 year old son. He is wearing a dirty white polo shirt with the logo of his company on it. He is a very emotional man.

(Lights up)
(Scene)
What? Don't you give me that tone! I am already in a bad enough mood! My boss went bankrupt without telling me and left me without a paycheck. Do you know who puts their ass on the line everyday just to make enough money to put food on the table? Me. And what about the electricity bills? Who do you think pays for those? Me! Water bills? ME! I pay for the very clothes that you have on your back! I do everything for you and what do you do? Nothing, you just sit on your ass and ask me for things that I can’t afford, or things that you’ll use for a few days, get bored then ask for more. Do you think I’m made of money? Do you think that I just go to work, sit back and get paid to sleep? Well I don’t! I mean, we eat the same thing every night, and you know why? Because we can’t afford to eat anything else, that’s why. And you, you’re 19 years old for Christ’s sake. If you want something why can’t you stop bitching, get up, and get your ass a damn job! I mean how hard is it to go over to a McDonald’s and ask for a job application. It is right across the street. Do you need me to hold your hand through everything? Well guess what? I can’t because you are old enough to live on your own. Soon I’ll have to get food stamps because we won’t even have enough money to buy the crap that we have to force down out throats every day. Sometimes I just wish that life would end, so I could relieve my life from the hell that I go through every day just to make a living. Well, I don’t know what you are going to do, but I am going to microwave myself a frozen dinner and look for a job.
(Lights down)
(Scene)

(c)Chase McCall 2005
If you wish to use this, please e-mail me and let me know, Sk8er5300@aol.com
© Copyright 2005 Hungryblob (thehungryblob at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/974176-Barely-Making-a-living