*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975049-The-Shadow
Rated: E · Short Story · Detective · #975049
Since the 1930's The Shadow has thrilled the fans of comics, books, TV, movies, radio.
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

The Shadow is, in reality Lamont Cranston, wealthy, young man-about-town. Cranston is a criminologist who years ago had learned the strange and mysterious secret: a telepathic ability to cloud men's minds so that they cannot see him.
Only his friend and companion, the lovely Margot Lane, knew to whom the voice of the invisible Shadow belongs.

The Shadow waits in his dark corner, watching the progression of Penelope Greene's court case. The young woman was being charged for the murder of her husband, famous billionaire Richard Greene. She pleads innocent.
"I didn't kill my husband! I loved him! And he loved me!" The judge paid no attention to the crying woman.
"The jury proclaims Mrs. Penelope Greene guilty of the murder of her husband. Exactly five hours from now she will be executed. Case dismissed."
A sly laugh that chilled the court room was heard. "Who laughed?" the judge demanded. "Bring that man before the court!"
"It came from that corner over there!" one man shouted.
The policeman scrtched his head beneath his cap as he looked into the corner. "There is no one here! Only...a shadow!"

© Copyright 2005 Kitty Cat (catzrule at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975049-The-Shadow