*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975693-The-Department-of-Justice
by crissy
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #975693
amber lost everything:her job,her boyfriend, her life
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

Chapter one : nice ring

Federal agents were rushing toward me. They were yelling, and signaling me to walk towards them. I did as instructed. I walked a few steps and stopped, turned around and looked at what I was leaving behind: my life for the past two years. One of the agents approached me and whispered in my ear "we have to go Miss Hughes." I could barely hear him, because of the noise the chopper 100 feet away from us was making. He put his hand to my shoulders and turned me around to face the helicopter. He gave me a little push and I started to walk. The turmoil of the evening was wearing on me. I felt tired and my body ached. I slipped into the chopper and sat on a seat. I rested my head on my shoulder and closed my eyes. I could hear the soldiers settling into the chopper. We took off the ground in a matter of seconds. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and handed me a pair of headphones. The ride to the military base was smooth and of course noisy.

The chopper settled down on a military camp on the border of Baghdad and Iran. After being thoroughly checked by the camp doctor I was left alone for most of my stay there. I was put on a plane three days after my arrival at camp to Washington D.C.

You see, I am a lawyer working for the U.S. department of justice and the American embassy in Europe and the Middle East. Two years ago I was sent to Iran to represent Rachel reed, a teenage American citizen who was arrested during vacation there. She had been apprehended for stealing a necklace at a gift shop. After representing her and advocating her of all charges, I was taken prisoner by Alkaida. The terrorist group didn’t kill, they kept me prisoner instead. For two years, I had been kept a prisoner in a military jail. I was beaten. And now I was back home. Finally.

As soon as I was off the plane, in dc, a medical staff rushed close to me and helped me onto a wheelchair and wheeled me to a room inside the airport where they could examine me.
"I was already checked by a doctor" I said faintly. The staff acted as if they had not heard me. I kept repeating the same sentence until one of them told me that they had to make sure I was alright. I nodded to signal that I understood. After the medical exam finished I was taken to a hotel.
"Tomorrow, you are expected by Jonathan Eria in his office." I nodded.
"Welcome home Ms.Hughes." finished Aaron burke, the paramedic that took me home.
"Thanks burke. It's good to be home."



The department of justice had been changed in my absence, I noticed as I entered the building early the next morning. Several people were staring, some I recognize, some I did not. I entered Jonathan eria's office. My boss. As soon as he saw me, he embraced me in a candid hug. He was more my friend than my superior.
There in Jon's office was Tristan Marshall, the director of the office of homeland security. Ken Tampa, the director of the federal bureau of investigation. And Toni weather, the secretary of defense. I was informed by Jon that the president himself wanted to come and greet me and welcome me home. I have never been a big fan of bush, but it would have been an honor for him to bother to talk to me.
"Hello, Dr.Hughes." said Marshall.
"Welcome home." said Tampa. Weather stood up and firmly shook my hand.
"Glad to have you back, amber." he exclaimed.
"Glad to be back." I smiled at the men before me. The next three hours were excruciating. They each had time to ask me what they wanted to know about my stay at an Alkaida prison. Everything from when and how I was captured to how I broke out of prision. I gave my official statement, which was required by protocol. Jon told me that somehow the media had gotten a hold of my story. Of how I escaped from Alkaida and found my way home. An investigation was taking place trying to find who leaked the information out.
After Marshall, Tampa, and Weather had left, I fell onto the chair in front of Jon's desk.
"That was hard, wasn’t it?"
A sympathetic smile spread upon his face.
"Remembering bad experiences is always hard." I answered.
"Jon, how is Michael? Do you still talk? I tried to call his phone last night, but I couldn’t get through. I think the line was cut. Anyway, then I tried to call you, but I couldn’t remember your home number. It's been so long since I last dialed it."
For the first time since I had started talking about Michael I notice Jon's face had changed from empathy to worry.
"Um, Amber…um…”
"What? Is he on a mission? I wondered why he wasn’t on the task to bring me home."
Michael Hilton was my boyfriend, and a CIA agent.
"No he isn't on a mission. There have been some changes in the last two years…"
"Ok, you are freaking me out Eria."
"I think Michael better tell you. You can call him from here, his cell phone number is right here." he searched for Michael's number in his cell phone and wrote it down on a piece of paper. When he was finished he exited the room.
Gently, I moved from my comfy chair to the other side of the desk. I picked up the receiver and dialed. As my fingers hit a new button, anticipation rose more and more.
"Hello?" said a manly voice on the other end.
I froze. His voice was calm. Happy. Did he know I was back home? That I was safe? That I was unhurt, for the most part.
"Hello?" he said.
My throat ached.
"If this is a joke, please get a job. I don’t appreciate it."
"No" I finally let out a word. It was a mere whisper.
"Hello?" he said again.
"Michael…" I trailed off.
I could hear the gasp on the other side of the line.
"Michael, it's me. Amber. Honey, I'm home." I paused, waiting for an answer, when I didn’t hear one I continued on.
"I was captured by Alkaida, as I'm sure you were informed, and I wasn’t killed like everyone thought. I was kept a prisoner. I escaped a week ago. I arrived at the American embassy in Iran, they contacted Jon here at the department of justice, and they brought me home. Baby. I was picked up by the CIA and the army. I'm home, honey. Babe? Michael?" Michael hadn't said a word since I started talking. After the most agonizing sixty seconds, I heard Michael swallow. He took a deep breath and said:
"You’re home? Amb, are you ok?"
"Aha. I need to see you."
"Ok, where are you?"
"I'm at the department of justice. I'm in Jon's office. It seems that they gave my office away to someone else. They did not wait long to replace me around here." I joked.
"Yeah. I guess not. Ok I'm coming over. Wait there."
"Sure, honey. Hey, Jon said that some things had changed. Do you know what he was talking about? He said that it was better if you told me.”
"I'm coming over" he repeated.

Michael arrived twenty minutes later. He looked radiant and sad at the same time. His blond locks were perfect. He hugged me for what felt like forever. It felt good to see him again and to hug again. I didn’t want to let go. We parted. Before I could lean in to kiss him, I noticed something shiny on his left hand. His ring finger to be exact, was occupied by something. A wedding ring.
"Why are you wearing a wedding ring?"
Silence.
"Did you get married?"
Silence still.
Pain was reflected on his face. Tears ran down my cheeks, as I understood the significance of his facial expressions. I understood the ring, and Jon's behavior. The pain in my chest was almost unbearable.
"Damn it, Michael! Please answer!"
Before I could start yelling again, he answered with a nod.
"Yes, I got married."
I couldn’t see his face through the tears that were erupting from my eyes. I was sobbing uncontrollably. He got closer to me and hugged me some more. He placed his strong arms around me and rocked me for a while. I was angry. I wasn’t sure the anger was directed towards me or him. I pushed him away.
"Get away from me!" Michael was startled.
"Amber…”
"You got married?" the tears had stopped now. Sadness was upstaged by anger.
"How long did you wait before going off and marrying someone else?"
"I thought you were dead. I… I… I thought you were dead. The government classified you as MIA. After a couple of months they stopped looking for you, they forgot you…”
"And so did you apparently. You gave up on us." I stood up and walked away. With my back still to him, I told him to leave.
"I'm not leaving you, I have to explain…"
I interrupted again and told him that I did not need an explanation, that his actions were enough.
"And we're not together anymore, so in truth, you don’t owe me an explanation."
"I want to give you one."
"It isn't needed. I'm sorry that I pulled you away from your job and made you come all the way here. I’m Sorry."
"I wanted to come…"
"You have a good afternoon" I walked rapidly to the door and stepped outside the office. I saw Michael through the glass walls get up to follow me, or to leave, I didn’t stay around to find out the answer. I walked, almost ran, to the restroom.

"Damn, crying fucks up my face. How the hell am I supposed to fix the puffiness and my red eyes." thank goodness I had not put on any mascara or it would have run with my tears. Then again, I didn’t have any make-up at all.
As I walked out the ladies room, fifteen minutes after my encounter with Michael, I saw Jon asking for me in the hallway.
"You know, I think these people aren't used to seeing their boss looking worried and wondering the hall looking for someone they have never met."
"First of all, I wasn’t wondering the halls. Second of all, they all know who you are" he smiled.
"Well, why is that?"
"You’re sort of a legend here." after seeing the puzzled look on my face he said, "The reed case became sort of famous. Senator Reed made big fuzz after you had been captured, saying that the Government was doing everything they could. And he himself was helping.'
"I don’t think I have ever seen that man being honest, not once."
"Yeah, well, the public ate it right up. He won re-election last year. The opposing guy didn’t have a chance."
"He sure likes being senator of Virginia; I would have thought he would have wanted to move up by now. Run for president of something."
Jon directed me an office at the far right. It was a corner office, decorated nicely. The desk was magnificent, it looked brand new. There was a book case behind the desk filled with books. The lap top on the left corner of the desk had a pink bow on it. My favorite color.
I turned around and said, "Ok, and why am I here?"
"This is your office." He moved closer to the desk and expanded his hands toward the bookcase. "Those are all your books, the ones that you had in your former office. I sort of saved everything that belonged to you when we gave away your office. And the reason why I couldn’t give you your old office is because its current inhabitant is sort of fond of it, and would not agree to give it away."
"Thank you." I said with tears in my eyes. My eyes and tears were manipulating and controlling themselves today. I no longer had any control of them. I hugged Jonathan and kissed him on the cheek.
"Go ahead, sit down. This is the best we could do in such a short notice. We have a few cases at bay, if and only if, you want to get back to the field right away. No pressure, though. None at all."
"He’s married."
"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry kiddo."
"That makes two of us. Ok, so give me a case file and I shall get back to work."
"Also, I took the liberty of getting ready one of my apartments for you. I talked to Melissa, and she said that the beach apartment was empty."
"How is she? And the kids? Thanks, Jon. But you don’t have to do this. I can find my own apartment."
"No, please stay at the beach apartment, just for a short period of time, if you'd like. There's no rush."
"What happened to my old apartment? My things?"
I had no family; I was adopted when I was a young child. My adoptive parents were both only children and they had both died in a car crash many years ago. My friends were my family. And I didn’t have that many friends either.
"Alison has a few of your things. You apartment lease ended two months after you went missing. I put the things that Alison didn’t take in a storage facility. I will take you there after, if you like."
"Wow, my life is over as I know it, isn’t it?” I fell silent for a few minutes and then asked how alison was.
"She is undercover in Prague as we speak. I tried to contact her after we first heard of you, but her mission calls for no family contact. CIA rules." Said jon.
I nodded. Jon informed that there were three case files in a drawer in the desk. He left me to them.

The drive to the beach apartment was fast. I knew the way there, I had gone there with Jon and Melissa many times before they were married. As I opened the door my nostrils were filled with the smell of new furniture. I walked inside the little apartment, and I noticed that it was fully furnished and finely decorated. Melissa had done it; I recognize her touch and taste.
The car that I had rented was parked outside. I walked out to it to retrieve the boxes I had gotten from Jon. I took a couple of them inside and started opening them.
Old yearbooks, a college sweatshirt, and a picture. Not just any picture, but a picture of me and Michael in Thailand. The place where he proposed two years ago. The tears starting coming out. I couldn’t stop them. I didn’t want to. Michael was married. He was married. To someone else. Married. How long did it take him to forget about me and marry someone else? Maybe he didn’t love me enough to believe that I was alright.
I was never the sort of person to think that a woman needed a man to complete her. But with Michael, it was different. I was different. He really did complete me in every way a person can be completed. And now he had someone else to complete him. Someone he held close at night. Someone he pampered and loved. Someone that wasn’t me.
After finding the picture of us, I cried for what felt like ages. I don’t think I could have handled it if I found other mementos of our life together. Something like my engagement ring, which I took off every time I had to travel for a case. Maybe I should find it and return it to its former owner. I didn’t need it anymore. I didn’t even want it. So once again i searched through the boxes I had in the living room. I found the ring fairly quick, it was in a tiny jewelry box. The engagement ring was as magnificent as i remembered: a square cut 5-karat diamond with a white gold band. I placed it on my lap and took out the little piece of paper with Michael’s number on it. I dialed the numbers with the brand new cell phone i had bought hours before. After the third ring, I heard a woman’s voice on the other end of the line. I felt chills down my back. It was her. HER. As calmly as i could i asked to speak to Michael Hilton. The girl asked for a moment and i could hear when she screamed for Michael. She had also called him darling. My stomach gave a tiny jump.
"Do you know who it is Mel? You have got to learn to ask 'who's calling?' whatever." and then he blew a kiss at her. The other woman.
"Hello, this is Hilton."
"Hi...Michael."
Before he could speak I informed him that I had found my engagement ring and i thought it would be proper to return it to its original owner. Michael assured me that i didn’t need to, that it was mine.
"Well, since i will not be using it, i decided that you should have it. If you don’t take it i will throw it out. Besides, i had the ring appraised and i know it cost you a fortune to buy it. You should have it back."
"No, I’m not kidding Amb...er."
"I will have it sent to you office, it is the same office right?"
Michael informed me that it was.
"Perfect. You should have it by the day after tomorrow." I hung up before he would have the opportunity to "explain" everything away.
I started to crying again. But I shortly stopped. There was no use in crying, Michael’s actions was something I had no control over. It wasn’t my fault that he had married someone, nor is it my fault that he had stopped loving me. The headache that erupted from my tears made fall me asleep soon after.




Chapter two: nice seeing you again


“Ms. Hughes Director Eria wants to see you in his office.” said a voice over the intercom. I was sitting in my office, a week had passed since I found the ring.
“Thank you Tatiana.” I said to my secretary. “did you inform him about the Ramelis case and that I will be taking charge?”
“Yes I did Amber. In fact this is what I think the meeting is about”
“Ok, thank you. Can you please inform him that I will be there as soon as I can. And another thing, please make sure that my plane ticket to England for tomorrow is confirmed.”
“Sure thing Amber”
I sat there on my desk for some minutes going over in my head what I had just read in the documents in front of me. Andrew Ramelis, South Carolina’s Senator’s son, had been arrested in England for beating a guy to a pulp. His last lawyer, an Englishman named Marc Carrs, had been unable to help him, so the senator decided to call in a favor at the American Embassy. They, of course, instructed the senator to the International Affairs Department at the Department of Justice.
I fixed the papers on my desk and placed a few documents in a green folder, which I took before walking out my office.

When I walked in to Jonathan’s office I noticed a few people there apart from Jon. Ken Tampa was sitting at the edge of the beautiful oak desk situated in the middle of the office wearing a black suit. On his right was a woman dressed sharply in a dark purple pant suit who I did not know.
“You wanted to see me director?” I said in a low voice.
“Ah, yes Amber. Come on in and sit down. I’m sure you remember Tampa, director of the FBI. And this is Ashley Taveras the chief of operations at the CIA.”
“Do you want me to come back later director since I can see that you are busy?” I always made it a point to address him by his title in front of other people at the office. Especially important people.
“What? Oh, no. they here to offer to help you. With the Ramelis case.”
“I’m sorry sir, but I do not understand. Why would I need any help? This is standard case, nothing especial about it”
“Maybe we should explain this better?” said Ashley Taveras.
“There seems to be a problem with the Ramelis case. His former lawyer, Carrs I believe was his name, has been murdered last night. Jonathan seems to think that if you are to take this case you need protection. Just while in England of course.”
Carrs dead? He seemed very nice , not to mention alive, when I talked to him on the phone a the day before.
“ I actually do not think that Carrs’ murder had anything to do with the Andrew Ramelis case. But Jonathan insists on getting you a bodyguard.” said Tampa.
“I apologize in advance for sounding disrespectful and ungrateful, but I do not need a bodyguard while in England. I’m just going there to see how bad the situation is.”
“I am quite aware of this amber, but I must insist on you having an escort. Just to be safe. Ashley, here, has offered a CIA agent to protect you. Ken has spoken to the chief of police in charge of the investigation in london to see if the carr’s murder investigation can be sped up too.” said Jonathan.
And that’s when it hit me. Ashley Taveras was Michael’s boss. Michael was an agent of the CIA, and Ashley was the chief of operations of the CIA. So it was possible for her to be his boss. Suddenly I felt dislike toward chief Taveras. Maybe it was a reflect of my feelings for Michael at the moment. He hadn’t returned the ring. He hadn’t tried to talk to me or send a thank you note. Maybe it was better for him not to. In the last week since I last talked to him I had come to realize that my anger was erroneous. He thought I had died. It wasn’t as if he had cheated on me because to him I was dead. This realization did not mean that I was going to put them, Michael and his wife, on my Christmas list, but it meant that it didn’t hurt, much, to think of them anymore.

And so it was decided to send me to England with a bodyguard. With a CIA agent. His name was Ross Berkeley. He was apparently a very well-trained field agent who specialized in guarding bodies (you know what I mean).

“good morning dr. hughes. My name is ross Berkley and I will be assisting you and guarding you during this trip.” said the man that met me at the airport. The man had a very deep voice and was very sharply dressed in a navy blue suit.
“good morning to you too.” I said with a yawn. four in the morning was definitely too early for a flight.
“what I would give for a coffee right now.” the words were coming out of my mouth without restraint. It was too early and I was too tired to watch what I said in front of who could be a co-worker of Michael. I had been up all night going over the ramelis case. What could have made this boy, Andrew, beat someone else to a pulp? A friend, no less?
“I think there is a StarBucks near the terminal.” said Berkley.
“oh, you are one of my favorite people right now.” I joked.
“so, how long have you done what you do?” I continued.
“fifteen years ma’am.”
“oh, no. don’t call me that! Do I look like a ma’am to you? Call me amber. Please.”
“my apologies, ma’am-- sorry…amber. ”
“no problem. So, are you married, agent?”
“what? I’m sorry ma’--amber?”
“I’m just making conversation. And since we are to spend a lot of time together, I thought that it would be nice if we knew each other better. And if you were married it would discourage me from hitting on you at a moment’s notice.” I smiled.
“oh…yeah…sure…alright. Yes I am married. To a wonderful woman I might add.”
“name. Does she have a name?”
“Samantha.”
“pretty. Oh, they’re calling our flight. We should go.” I said before grabbing my bag and coffee.

Thirty minutes into the flight, as I was resting my head on the head rest agent Berkley asked me something that unsettled me.
“please don’t take this the wrong way, but how was it? Being ‘lost’ for two years.”
At first I was furious that he was snooping into my life. But the fury was gone instantly. After a couple of silent minutes I told him that it was nerve-wreaking. And that even though the last two years have been hard on both my mind and body, the worst part was what I was living through right now. The knowing that the world, my friends, and special others, had gone on without me. Knowing that I had two lost years. And that the people that I once knew were different, and/or gone.
“…but I’m coping. I’m alright. I really am.” I finished.
He nodded. “I know agent Hilton. Michael.”
I was startled. “you do, huh?”
“I’ve known him for little over a year now. Good guy.”
“how did you know that he meant anything to me?”
“the news. The washington post did an article last week on it. they have you from the silent hero angle. They had all this research on your job before you disappeared. And how you were engaged to a man who on you return home informed you that he was married to someone else.”
I laughed louder than I intended. Agent Berkley gave me a worried look.
“sorry. Huh. Were do I start? Ok. I’m not a hero. How do they come up with this stuff? I’m just a person who was at the wrong place at the wrong time. In concerment with Michael Hilton, I…we… him and I are over. We have been for two years now. He married someone else and I hope he’s happy.” it was a bunch of bull, but I wasn’t about to spill my feeling about my ex-fiance to someone I had just met. To someone who knew Michael no less.
“please accept my apologies for my curiosity.”
“yeah, no prob. Curiosity is completely normal. So…so…” so he knew Michael. And his wife, I’m sure.
“so…what amber?”
“nothing, nothing at all.”
He knew him. He knew them. Did he know how much I loved Michael? Or how much he used to love me? He did love me once, very much. How did love like that deplete? How does love like the one we shared evaporate without leaving at least a trace?
Seven hours later we arrived in London. There was no luggage since we both had the briliant idea of only taking a carry-on.
I rented a black Volvo at the airport, we both got into the car and I drove to the Hilton hotel. I checked in fairly quick while Berkley informed me that he would be staying in the room next to mine. He was to go with me everywhere, just until carr’s murder was solved. Which shouldn’t take long.

“may I speak with senator ramelis please? Thank you, amber hughes. He has been expecting my call. I’m his son’s attorney.” I told the secretary whom I was speaking to.
Moments later a man’s voice could be heard.
“amber Hughes. Hello.”
“hello senator. Yes, I’m here in London. I arrived this morning. It was good, no turbulence-- I’m going to see your son this afternoon. Visiting hours don’t start until after 12:00-- You welcome senator, be sure that I will try my best to sort this whole thing out.”
“good to hear little lady.” said the man with a southern trawl.
The there was a knock at my door.
“senator, I have to go. Yes, I’m going there right now, sure. Will say HI for you-- No problem.”
I got up from the bed and opened the hotel room.
“ready amber?” said Berkley.
“um, yes. Let me get my things, give me a second.” I put many files into a portfolio and got my purse. I followed Berkley out of my room and down to the reception area.
“I’ll get the car, wait here.” I handed Berkley the keys and saw him turn around and walk towards the garage. Five minutes later, he was in front of the hotel in my Volvo. He got out and procedded to go around the car to sit in the passager seat. But before he got in a bullet hit his chest. The blood got on the windshield. Panic errupted. The people around us were yelling and screaming and running in all directions.
“HELP! HELP!” I could hardly recognize the voice screaming. It took me a few second the realize it was my voice. Berkley fell to the ground as I walked closer to the car and fell down to my knees next to him. His breaths were shallow.
“hold on Berkley. Please. I haven’t gotten around to hit on you! Your wife, think of your wife. HELP! HELP! SOMEONE PLEASE CALL AN AMBULANCE!” I screamed at anyone who would hear me.
Another bullet hit the window shattering into pieces. This one almost hit me… the bullets were directed at me. I was the target. Berkley must have realized this too because the next thing I know Berkley pulled me completely to the ground and positioning himself on top of me. Whatever bullets were directed at me would hit him first. Sirens could be heard in the distance. And as fast as it had started the shooting stopped. Berkley was bleeding badly.
His eyes were looking at me.
“you’re not hurt are you?” he whispered.
“no. God you’re bleeding. Help is on the way. Just hold on. Please hold on.”
“ok.” he whispered again.
“I did not know you liked it on top, I had you pegged for a bottom guy. Shows how much I know. And just for the record, you did not need to stage this whole totally fake shooting to dry-hump me. This could have been arranged with a few words.” I joked.
He chuckled. I felt it better than I heard it as he was still on top of me. His full weigh was crushing my tiny body. I heard cops talking near by. One of the paramedics rushed toward us and pulled Berkley from top of me.
Between three of them they put him in the ambulance before they ran to me to ask me if I was ok.
I affirmed that I was.
“what happened here?” asked one of the police men to me.
“shooting.” I told him sarcastically.
“we are going to ask you to come with us, please ms…”
“amber hughes.” I finished the sentence for him.
“amber hughes” he repeated.

“amb, maybe you should just come home.” jonathan sounded concerned.
“no, I will not. I have a job to do here.”
“Fine. How is agent Berkley?”
“he’s in critical condition. They wont let anybody but family see him. His wife Samantha arrived here about thirty minutes ago. Apparently he will be moved to the states as soon as he capable of making the trip.”
“this is serious amber. Those bullets were meant to kill you. I do not think it is safe for you anymore. Please consider coming home.”
“no. jon if I go I’m letting them win. I cant do that. And besides, I’m dealt with more than bullets. I’ll be fine.”
“chief taveras has insisted on sending you a full force of agents to look after you.”
“I’m not a kid, jon.”
“thank you for the remainder. But your opinion doesn’t matter right now. There was an attack on an american government agent on foreign soil, we are not taking any chances. We are getting you a posse even if you don’t want them.”
I sighed. And to think I was complaining about having just Berkley with me just yesterday.
“what a mess. Why would anyone try to kill me?”
“I don’t know. And…why the hell are you not more scared? Or worried about your life? Melissa was a wreck when I told her.”
“I’ve dealt with worse is all. My nerves aren’t what they used to be. So who will be coming to my rescue?”
“I do not know yet. Their names are being kept secret for security reasons. The London police are going to escort you to the airport where you are to meet your new security team. Amb, please reconsider your position. Come home, we can send someone else to represent the ramelis kid.”
“jon! This is my job. Is there any way that the security team can meet me at brighton correctional facility. I’m already late for my appoinment with Andrew ramelis. The police can escort me there, can’t they?”
“I give up. You are so stubborn!” he said. And after a few seconds, “ I can make a call and arrange it. The security team will meet you at brighton. Be careful amber. I couldn’t take it if I lost you again.”
“thanks. And I don’t have any intention on disappearing again. I’ll be alright. Let mel know not to worry.”
“I will. Check in as soon as you can.”
“I will.” I hung up the phone and stared at my surroundings. The police station I was at was full of people, eye witnesses, who were giving their statements. No one seemed to know where the shots originated from. No one had seen the shooter.

“ms hughes, if you remember anything else, please call the precint. Here is the number.” the police officer wrote down the number on a post-it and handed it to me.
“my name is written right above it, feel free to ask for me.” he continued on.
“thank you…” I looked down at the post-it in my hand. “…george.”
I stood up and shook his hand. His smile both soothed me and scared me at the same time. The guy was attracked to me, it was quite obvious and quite an ego boost.
George volunteerd to drive me to brighton. I followed him out of the precint and into his car. He opened my door before walking around and opening his own. I got in and smoothed my floral skirt which had drops of Berkley’s blood on it. I noticed that my white top also had blood on it. I was sure to make quite an impression on Andrew today, I thought.
“is there any way that you can make a pit stop at the hotel so I can freshen up and maybe change my clothes.” I asked george as he ignited the car.
“no can do.” said george with his extremely deep british accent.
“alright…” dissapointment could be heard in my voice.
“we can stop at a boutique on the way if you want.” offered george hopefully. I agreed.
“so apparently you’re kind of important, aren’t you?”
The man was trying to make conversation.
“why do you say that?” was I flirting with this policeman? Oh, hell. I might as well.
“the captain said to escort you wherever you went, and only to leave you when your security team arrives.”
I chuckled.
“yeah, well, the case that I’m on is important to a lot of high people back in the estates.”
“how busy are your going to be with this case--ah here we are. This store is supposed to be good.”
The store was a small boutique with many mannequins on display. The clothes were a little too hip for my taste and profession. And why exactly did this guy wanted to know how time consuming this case was going to be. He was cute-looking. Great blue eyes and silky black hair. He was a man’s man. George parked and went around to open my door. He offered his hand. I took it and he pulled me out.
“madam.”
“sir” we laughed.
Twenty minutes later, I had three new outfits. I couldn’t find any suits, but I settled for a couple of jeans and a few sweater tops.
“wow, you look gorgeous.” said the woman at the register. She was referring to the low-cut jeans and low-cut black sweater I was wearing. I smiled and thanked her. I took back my credit card and took the shopping bags. As I sat in the car george informed that he liked butterflies too. After seeing the puzzled look on my face he explained that he had seen the butterfly tattoo on my lower back.
“thank you. It isn’t exactly something that a lawyer working for the american government should have.”
The rest of the ride to brighton was silent. And I was thankful for it.



“hello Andrew, my name is amber hughes, I will be representing you.”
Andrew looked nothing like I imagined. It wasn’t a somber boy that was looking at me. The boy staring at me looked glorious, almost smug.
“you are much better looking than my last lawyer, that’s for sure.” were the words that came out of his mouth. The kid was in jail and hitting on me!
“well, thank you. Going back to your case. I do have all the files that your former lawyer used to have. I do want to know, though, why you beat the guy.”
“that jerk was pissing me off. Hitting on my girl and shit. So I hit him. I knew my dad would get me off. So… you seeing anyone? Dad sure knows how to pick ‘em.”
Can I punch this guy without getting accused of assault?
“listen, knock it off. I’m your attorney, not a girl you met at a club.”
“feisty, aren’t you? Alright, alright, don’t get your panties in a twist.”
What an obnoxious brat! My temper was rising, bubbling over the rim.
“let me set something straight, you little jerk! Just because I’m a girl doesn’t mean that I’m not qualified to represent you. This relationship is and it’s going to stay professional. Besides, you are not my type.”
His face fell, somehow his facial expression fitted the surroundings better. Brighton correctional facility was…very gray. Not a noise could be heard in the room Andrew and I were in. George was waiting outside the room “keeping guard.”
“your father did not hire me because of how I look, but because I’m more than qualified for this job. Understood?”
My face was growing redder by the minute. I did not sign up for this to get sexually harassed by a spoiled brat.
“sorry” Andrew mumbled.
I assured him that I would get over it. We got to work right away trying to portray him as innocent and not guilty.
A few hours later we were done. Provocation would not look good to a jury, but right now, it was the best we could do. There was a knock on the door, I got up, and walked across the room and opened the door. George was standing outside, blocking a group of people from my sight.
“yes, george?”
“your cavalry has arrived, madam.” george moved aside to reveal a group of CIA agents. Three men and a woman.
“could you please wait until I’m done with Andrew? Just a couple of more minutes.” I turned around and closed the door.
“Andrew, I’ll be back tomorrow to go over your testimony. Do me a favor and think about what you would say tonight. Try to not sound smug and bratty. The English do not like it. I’m going to try to get in contact with the girlfriend, Pamela Sanford, is it?” I asked while looking down at a paper on the desk.
“yeah, pam.” he responded.
I collected all the papers on the table, placed them in the portfolio and stood up. I bid him goodbye and walked to the door. As I opened it I heard Andrew call after me.
“by the way, in case you wanted to know, I really really really like your tattoo. The one of your back. Pretty.”
I looked over my shoulder and gave him the evil eye.
“is that the only one you have?”
“no.” I said as I closed the door on his face. I turned around to faced the people before me. George gave me a quizzical look and smiled.
“so, you have more than one tattoo? Interesting.” george almost whispered.
I could tell the others had heard, though. They were all looking at each other, then at me. They all gave me the once over look. From head to toe. One briefly looked at my midriff which was showing. I felt exposed. These people were judging me based on my outfit. I looked more like a teenager tourist than a lawyer. I introduced myself and waited for them to do the same. The female agent among the group introduced herself as agent Baldino. Next up was the black man which was named Veet. Agent Brown was next to Veet. The last agent was too busy tying his shoelaces, he straighten out and it was…
Michael. My Michael. He looked at me as if he didn’t recognize me. It took him a couple of seconds to know that it was indeed me.
“and this is agent Hilton.” said Baldino while pointing at Michael. “charmed.” I said to them all. Agent Baldino explained how I was to go nowhere without a chaperone while both cases, carrs’ and Berkley’s, were open. That arrangements had been made at a new hotel. they expected a second attack on my life and the american government were not taking any chances.
“as long as you don’t interfere with my case I think we’re going to be ok” I said to them all.

“so I guess I’m relieved of my duties then?” said george.
“yes I guess you are” I fumbled with my purse and looked for a piece of paper. I found a card with my contact numbers which then I handed to george.
“maybe we can go get a cup of coffee sometime.” I half whispered to george, but I could tell that the agents behind me had heard me. If he could move on, so could I.
“that sounds delightful.” he answered back.
Baldino thanked george and the London police for their help in keeping me safe. She also informed him that she would put in a good word with his department for volunteering. They all shook hands and said their goodbyes. Michael’s eyes never left me, though. He would only glanced down if I saw him looking, and as soon as I turned around I could feel his stare on my flesh again. I followed the agents out of the building where two black suv’s where waiting. Without waiting to see which car I should get into I opened the door to the closest one to me. A couple of minutes later Michael got in next to me.
“this is my car, you were supposed to get in the other vehicle.” Michael spat out.
“you can always switch vehicles agent Hilton.”
After a couple of agonizing seconds Michael said something.
“is this how we’re going to act when in the vicinity of each other?”
He caught me off guard, I’ll give him that.
“yes. What, how would you prefer me to address you? As Michael, agent Hilton, ex-boyfriend, mr.Hilton? Take your pick and in case I got it wrong, the only words you have said to me have been “get out of my car”. granted I am paraphrasing, but that is essentially what you said.” I took a deep breath. Big mistake. The smell of his aftershave filled my nostrils. Tears were threatening to erupt from my eyes. Being this close to Michael was not good for me. I looked the other way, toward the window as the rebellious tears left my eyes. I dried them with the back of my hand as quickly as humanly possible.
“I apologize for that. Seeing you made temporarily speechless. We were not informed that you were who we came to guard. Taveras herself briefed us and informed us that apparently there was an information mole so she left us uninformed about some aspects of the case. Including your name. But were told that one of our colleagues had been shot and we were coming to replace him.” Michael said this very fast, as if he didn’t want me to interrupt.
“and the other reason why I was amazed and speechless is because...”
“uh, why? Come on spit it out!”
“the way you were dressed.”
“oh…” an internal smile spread across my face. Even if he thought I had looked awful in the outfit, he at least noticed what I had been wearing. Michael started the engine and drove on for a while.
“can we pick up my things at my now former hotel?” I asked to brake the silence more than anything.
“all your stuff will be waiting for you where we’re going.” he responded.
I fell silent at once. My brain was working super fast deciding if it was best to fix our uncomfortable situation.
“listen-” we both said it at the same time.
Michael offered me to go first.
“thanks. Ok…um… look, I know this situation is uncomfortable for both of us, but I’m going to try to stay out of your way as much as I can. And also, I am very sorry about how I reacted when I saw you in jon’s office. It had been two years, and that is a long time for someone to still be mourning the death of a loved one. I’m actually glad that you are happy; that you remade your life”
Michael took a few seconds to talk.
“ thank you for that… The other day you said that I gave up on you, on us. And that’s not true. Not at all. When you didn’t come back, I was a mess. I was at the airport that day, remember I was going to pick you up?” he stopped only to see me nod and continued.
“at first I thought you missed your flight. Then I thought you had decided to stay there longer. After a week of no word jon made some calls and somehow managed to organize a search party under his command. They reported you as missing. And I went insane.” he paused again to take off the com device he had in his ear.
“ I stared to drink. all day, everyday. I didn’t show up for work for three months. I shut out the world completely. I couldn’t accept that you were missing ,gone . I knew that nothing short of death could keep you from coming home. I stood in church the day of our wedding and waited for you for hours.”
Tears ran down my face. I looked away as I wiped them off.
“I missed you so much, I started to imagine that you were back. I talked to you everyday. I drank with you, laughed with you, made love to you… in my head, it was you. Some part of my brain knew that it was all an illusion, that I was going crazy. But I couldn’t stop. I loved you so much! Losing you almost killed me. But I’m not going to apologize for getting over you, for moving on with my life. And I’m certainly not going to apologize for marrying melanie.”
After a couple of seconds I realized that he had reached the end of his speech and our drive. We had arrived at our destination, a low-key hotel hidden in the heart of London.
I looked over my shoulder to Michael and assured him I had heard and understood. I did not, however, know how to respond to him. I thought it was better if I didn’t bring up the subject again. I would be in London for two more days anyhow. The hotel was a diamond in the rough. No one from the outside would have guessed that the interior of the old rustic building was so gorgeous and elegant. The entrance and the lobby offered a sort of Mediterranean feel. Le Circle hotel was empty, which I noticed when we entered the foyer. Balding immediately instructed to follow her to my room.
That night as I was dining one the very delicious cuisine that Hong Kong’s Chinese had delivered I pondered what Michael had said earlier that afternoon. His revelation seemed to put us both at ease.
I felt horrible for giving George my card, I was using him. Trying to show a man who did no longer love me that I was moving on. I made a mental note to call him and set him straight about my intentions the next day. No reason to toy with George’s feelings. I wondered how I could really move on from Michael, how to get over him. As I cried myself to sleep that night.
I never got the chance to set George straight the next day as it was filled with interviews with eyewitnesses and friends of Andrew’s. Pamela Scheider, Andrew’s girlfriend was no help. She only talked to me about how shocked she was that her boyfriend had gotten into such a vicious fight with another guy. From her point of view, she never gave Andrew reason to doubt her loyalties. Nor did she ever let the other guy, Marianno Felicio, think that he had a shot with her.

(im sure to add more story soon.)
© Copyright 2005 crissy (ilovetigger17 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975693-The-Department-of-Justice