*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975849-The-Adventure-Begins---Chapters-3--4
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #975849
"So what trouble has she gotten herself into this time?" Rob asked as he...
Chapter Three


         A muted sound followed by a gentle nudge dispelled the image of almond shaped eyes and brought him fully awake.
         "Boss?"
         "Yeah, what is it?" He said stifling a yawn and rubbing his hands over his face.
         "Julia's on the phone." Rob replied apologetically. "I told her you were sleeping but she said it was extremely important."
"I wonder what trouble she has gotten into now?" he asked heaving an exhausted sigh and taking the phone from Rob.
         "Who knows." Rob replied with a shrug and a smile before turning and heading for the cockpit.
         Shaking his head to clear the remaining cobwebs, Morgan hit the hold button. "This had better be important Julia. I was in the middle of a very delightful dream."
         When his comment was not answered with laughter, Morgan immediately sobered and asked, "Julia, are you alright? What do you need?"
         There was a second of silence before she answered. "I really am sorry to disturb you at this hour, but I am in need of both your services and advice."
         "Julia, you know that I and my agency are at your call whenever you need us. So tell me exactly what is happening."
         "I really do not know were to begin." She replied. Then taking a calming breath, she started to tell him everything that had happened over the last three months up to this point. Fifteen minutes later she ended with, "That is why I have decided to confront her with the truth."
         Trying to digest all that he had heard, Morgan asked, "Do you think that is a wise decision?"
         "I believe that question will be answered shortly. Morgan I have not come to this decision lightly. I have considered all possible outcomes and before you ask, yes...even the negative ones. I have no other choice than to proceed with my plans."
         Morgan had heard that tone of voice too many times. "Well Julia, I can see that your mind is made up and there is no way I can stop you."
         "No, there is nothing you can do to change my mind."
         "In that case, may I suggest that you allow me to check into the matter before you proceed."
         "Yes that was one of the reasons I called."
         "And what would be the other one?" he asked.
         "If what I believe and feel is true, then I shall be in great need of your services. Once I make the announcement, it will set into motion a whole chain of reactions some that may be deadly."
         "Based on your family history and your present circumstances I would say that it would be inevitable." He replied. "I will have Rob look into the matter for you and see that preparations are made to step in when needed.
         "Thank you Morgan. There is but one personal request that I wish to make and that is for you to look into this yourself."
         "Julia..."
         "I know...I know, you are just returning home from a long mission and are more then likely exhausted. I have nothing against your staff, in fact they are exceptional people, but I would feel much better if you were to handle this personally?"
         Yes I am very tired, he thought rubbing his stiff neck. Yet Julia was not only a client but a very close friend, how could he refuse. "Okay, Julia I will handle everything. I should be arriving at around six, a little over two hours from now. Let me get a few hours sleep and a hot shower before I meet with you. Say around four this afternoon?"
         "Excellent, but let us set a later time."
         "Alright, that will work. Where and when?"
         There was a slight pause then, "Nine o'clock tonight at a club called 'Down the Hatch' located on the corner of 5th Avenue and Cricket. See you then and once again thank you Morgan."
         Before he could ask her about the meeting place Julia hung up. Staring blankly at the receiver Morgan could only shake his head. Buzzing the cockpit, he asked Rob to join him. On the off chance that Julia's' assumptions were correct a plan to ensure both Julia's and her nieces safety would have to in place.
         As head of the South Seas Protection Agency, Cactus Morgan took pleasure in knowing that his company and agents were considered the best in their field. When he had first left government service a little over six years ago, Morgan knew that he would not be happy living a normal everyday life. Relying on the experience gained through his time in service, he started a protection service. At first, he handled simple cases involving screen stars and city officials and as his reputation grew so did his company and clientele.
         Yet, it was not until Julia hired him that he and the agency gained worldwide recognition. Today the majority of assignments handled by his agency dealt with providing security and protection for world dignitaries and their families. Morgan had reached the point in his career that afforded him the opportunity to choose what assignments his agency would handle.
         As for his relationship with Julia, the Grand Duchess of Kappa Colada, he would take every precaution to ensure her or her families safety.
         "So what trouble has she gotten herself into this time?" Rob asked as he came over to sit by Morgan.
         Rob Roy had joined the agency a year after its start and had proven to be a worthy partner. They had worked together on the first assignment dealing with Julia and countless ones since then so he was well aware of some of the situations the woman could get herself into. It was not so much that Julia was an airhead it was because she always took a personal interest in any of her worthwhile projects.
         Unfortunately, most of her projects dealt with the environment, which meant that she was constantly butting heads with very powerful and greedy men.
         "Let's just say that trouble is on the horizon. In which case we need to come up with a plan that can be implemented on a moments notice." Replied Morgan.
         "Alright, so what exactly are we dealing with and where do you want me to begin?"
         Morgan knew that Rob was as familiar with Julia's pass as he was. Therefore, a lengthy explanation was not required. "According to Julia she has located her missing niece."
         "Holy shit!" exclaimed Rob. "That would mean... Wait, has she been able to confirm that this person is her missing niece?"
         "At the moment no." Standing up and going to the galley for a glass of water, Morgan added. "A stipulation that Julia plans on verifying within the next 48 hours. She plans on confronting this woman with her beliefs and asking that the woman submits to DNA testing."
         "That makes sense." Replied Rob studying the expression on his boss's face. "But judging from that look on your face you disagree with her plan."
         "Not with the testing part. Julia will need that to back up her claim." Returning to where Rob sat listening, Morgan continued. " I would like nothing better then to see Julia's dream come true...to be reunited with the last of her family. Yet, on the other hand I do not want to see her heart and dream shattered if the opposite proves true."
         Nodding Rob agreed with Morgan. "I understand where you're coming from. I would like nothing better to see Julia happy also but what does she want us to do?"
         "Julia requested that I meet with her tonight. At which time, I can only assume that she will provide me with the information necessary to check out the woman."
         "Okay, so are we suppose to set up security for the meeting?"
         "She did not give me time to verify that before hanging up. We will go on the belief that her security team will be handling that. However, I would still like you to go and check out this place before the meeting takes place."
         "I'll see to it immediately after we land." Taking a small notebook and pen from the inside pocket of his jacket, Rob asked, "Where is the meeting taking place?"
         "I have never heard of it, but it is a club on the corner of 5th Avenue and Cricket, called 'Down the Hatch'. Have you ever heard of it?"
         "Can't say that I have." Replied Rob with a shake of his head. "But, I am familiar with the area and I don't like the location one bit."
         "Why?"
         "Unless something drastic has happened in the last few years that I haven't heard about, this club is located smack in the middle of an area of the city dominated by street gangs."
         Scowling Morgan leaned forward and tapping his finger on the table said, "I want to know everything there is to know about that place and the person that owns it."
         "I'm on it." Rob said getting up from the chair and heading for one of the workstations on the plane.
         Leaning back in the seat Morgan absently watched as Rob began making phone calls. He wondered why Julia would pick such a place and how she had come to find out about it. What the hell are you up to Julia?



Chapter Four


         It was turning out to be one of those days where all you want to do is curl up on the couch in front of a blazing fire and read a good book.
         The cold front, which had been forecast to move through the area later tonight, had arrived early accompanied by thunderstorms and plunging temperatures. The turbulent weather only intensified the sense of foreboding that had plagued Beer since waking earlier.
         The figures pertaining to her latest project and business had captured her undivided attention over the last few hours. Yet, a sudden gust of wind that rattled the windows, followed by the rapid tapping of ice pellets against the glass drew Beer's attention.
         Leaning back in her chair she watched as the driven rain sluiced down the panes. A brilliant flash of lightning followed quickly by a loud clap of thunder caused her heart to race as vivid images of her nightmare flooded her mind.
         Shaking her head to try to dispel the images, Beer scolded herself for being such a ninny. "Get a hold of yourself girl...it was only a stupid dream," she muttered turning back to the paperwork on the desk.
         "Maybe I do need a vacation if I'm letting a dream unnerve me like this." Then with a laugh said, "Especially if I am going to start talking to myself."
         Seven years ago when she had first seen the rundown building Beer had immediately recognized the opportunity of making a dream come true. If her sleep depraved mind had not made any mistakes, it looked like the second part of her dream would soon be within her grasp.
         In the beginning conventional backers had even refused to see her, now they were at least listening to her proposal. Granted the location of her business was far from the ideal area in which to run a profitable establishment, but her persistence and hard work were finally paying off.
         Two years after purchasing the building the doors of 'Down the Hatch' were opened for business. Now five years later it was a thriving business in spit of the odds or predications of failure.
         The 'Hatch', as the patrons fondly called it, had become the neighborhoods favorite watering hole. During the week it catered to the after work crowd, which her employees jokingly called the "Cherry Bouncers". These were the off work rush hour type of people who stopped by for a quickee or two before heading home.
         Located in one of the overpopulated districts of Manhattan where all the neighborhoods were ruled by rivaling gangs, the Hatch stood alone. Rumors and tall tales still abounded as to how she had managed to get all the gangs to agree on making the hatch and its surrounding neighborhood...neutral territory. It was due to this distinction that the small neighborhood bar known as the 'Hatch' came fully alive on Friday and Saturday nights.
         Sitting aside the books Beer pulled out the employee roster. Pass experience had proved that bad weather brought the Bouncers out in swarms. Once she had asked a few of them why they had stopped in inside of going straight home. The reply had been the same from whomever she had asked, "...just takin' the chill off."
         According to the schedule, Shirley Temple, her newest barmaid, was on duty tonight. Shirley, with her reddish-blonde beehive and sunny disposition, had proven to be a hard worker and was a favorite with the customers. Beer knew that Shirley, though hard pressed, would be able to handle the crowd. Yet, some gut instinct told Beer that a second pair of hands would be needed.
         Although the list was not extensive, she found herself having a difficult decision to make. Each of her employees had been asking for overtime, so to ensure that the time was spread evenly between them Beer had drawn up an overtime rotation schedule.
         Rosy Pippin was next on the list and normally this would not have presented a problem. However, Beer knew that Rosy was presently across town caring for her sick mother and she would not feel right calling her even if Rosy would be able to come in.
         The ringing of the telephone startled beer from her thoughts. "Hello."
         "Hiya Boss! Are you enjoying this beautiful weather we're having?"
         "You betcha, in fact you're lucky to have caught me." Beer answered with a laugh. "I was on my way out to the pool to soak up some rays before you called."
         "Oh yeah...right," came the sarcastic reply. "That is a little hard to believe coming from "Miss Workaholic" herself. Have to do better than that Beer, after all I've known you too long."
"That right, huh."
         "Yipper! My guess is you've been sitting at that broken down desk of yours for hours and worrying about who to call in."
         "Wrong Miss Smarty-pants. I've only spent the last fifteen minutes worrying about that and..." Beer said, then feigning hurt feelings added, "My desk is NOT broken down, it has character."
         The laughter which greeted her ear lightened the dark mood which the dream, weather and worry had caused. Having no family that she recalled to call her own, Beer had come to regard her employees as her family. If she were to label what relationship each of them represented to her, Margarita (whose laughter was slowly dwindling) would be her sister.
         The instant rapport that was felt at their first meeting had grown into a close knit friendship. Subsequently Beer knew exactly why her friend had called and it was not to discuss the weather.
         Margarita a single mother of a energetic 7-year-old, was struggling to make ends meet; especially since kicking out her freeloading boyfriend Harvey Wallbanger. As far as Beer was concerned, it was a very wise decision.
         "C'mon Beer! Character! Remember, I was there when your rescued that piece of junk from the dump for $10." Chuckled Margarita. "Bet you two-to-one, that the right bottom drawer is still cockeyed and sticks."
         Glancing down at the drawer in question, Beer laughed saying, "Okay you got me on that, but it only adds to its character."
         "Uh huh, I don't know why you just don't break down and throw that thing out, It's not as if you can't afford a new one."
         "But..."
         "I know...I know," interrupted Margarita. "It's like every other castoff you've taken in. You just can't stop yourself from trying to make things better. When do you intend to lavish some of that attention on yourself?"
         "Listen Margarita, I am really not in the mood to rehash old lectures. So just tell me why you called."
         There was a second of silence before Margarita asked, "What's wrong?"
         Beer regretted showing the agitation her friends comment had caused, but lately it seemed as everyone was getting on her case about taking some time off. It was starting to get on her nerves. "Nothing is wrong, guess the weather just has me down some."
         "Okay, I can take the hint," replied Margarita. "However, just to let you know...we will talking about it again."
         Giving Beer a moment to let that sink in Margarita continued, "You probably already know why I called, so I'll just save you all the trouble and let you know that I'm available to work tonight if you need me."
         "Thanks for volunteering, but I have to check with Rosy before I can give you an answer."
         "Already taken care of Beer. I called Rosy before ringing you."
         "Guess I have myself an extra hand tonight, but what about little Jose? Can you find a babysitter on such short notice?"
         "No problem there." Margarita answered with an exasperated sigh. "He has been invited to a sleep over and I have already arranged to drop him off early. You would think he was going on a lifetime journey with all the stuff he is trying to stuff into his backpack. You know all the important things like...yo-yos; firetrucks; baseball cards, etc. Clean clothes, pajamas and toothbrush aren't important. Says he can just borrow them from Nicky. The child is driving me crazy!"
         They talked a few more minutes about the joys of parenthood, Rosy's mother and work before Margarita announced she had to go as Jose just dragged his backpack into the kitchen.
         Wishing Margarita luck, Beer hung up the phone but not before she heard her friend shut "Put that back!" Chuckling she leaned back in her chair picturing the scene of her friend standing in the kitchen doorway with hands on hips watching her son raid the refrigerator.
         Maybe some day... do not even go there, she thought. No sense thinking about something which will never happen. A sudden chill had Beer rubbing her arms before getting up to adjust the thermostat.
         While the furnace worked at getting the chill out of the apartment, Beer went to the kitchen, grabbed a breakfast bar, refilled her cup with hot tea and headed to her bedroom for a long hot shower.


© Copyright 2005 Nitehawk (nitehawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975849-The-Adventure-Begins---Chapters-3--4