*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975855-The-Adventure-Begins---Chapters-5--6
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #975855
...she noticed the table had gone quiet and four sets of eyes were staring at her.
Chapter Five



         The meeting with the contractor had gone well, but it had also taken longer than Beer had planned. Therefore, she did not arrive at the Hatch until almost two that afternoon. Upon entering, she noticed that a few customers were already scattered throughout the bar.
         Spike, one of the nightly regulars, was bent over a pool table no doubt warming up for a night of hustling drinks. His early arrival was a clear indication that another one of the regulars would be arriving soon. If Spike was the Hatch's pool hustler, then Junior was our pinball hustler.
         Rusty Nail, the bartender and daytime manager, was busy serving a young couple at one of the back tables. While she did not recognize either of them, Beer did recognize the four elderly women huddled over their drinks in animated conversation.
         With everything else on her mind, she had forgotten that it was Wednesday. Hoping that she had not been spotted, Beer hurried towards the back office.
         "BEER!"
         Damn, she thought stopping in her tracks and slowly turning around.
         "Girl, don't you dare try to sneak off. Come over here and say hello," ordered Tootsie Roll.
         "Yeah..." added Tequila Daisy with her deep-throated voice. "Get your skinny little butt over here gal."
         "Give me a minute while I put my things away," Beer replied with a smile and had to stifle a chuckle when she heard Nana Rita admonish Daisy for her language.
         "Daisy! Stop embarrassing the girl and watch that tongue of yours."
         "Ah, Nana, come on. She..."
         Beer was not able to hear the rest of Daisy's reply as she had entered the office, but knowing Daisy, she would have the other three women just twittering away.
         The Grateful Dead, as they laughingly called themselves, all came from different backgrounds yet shared two common traits...one, they were all wealthy widows. Each of their husbands had been owner and Chief Executive Officer of some of the territories leading industries. Unlikely as it seemed, at least at first glance, each of these women now ran the companies they inherited.
         The second trait they shared, besides their desire to see Beer succeed, was their determination to find her a suitable lifetime mate. Since the day they had decided to take her under their wings, each had tried to hook her up with that special someone.
         The first had been Tom Collins, a nice looking young man with a quiet sober personality and a local mortician. Vincenza Anthony Cabaretti, who referred to himself as the Italian Stallion, quickly followed Tom. Accept for his roaming hands, Beer liked Vince and even now enjoyed the occasional lunch.
         Yet, it was their third candidate the nutty Irishman Mike O'Donald with his smooth tongue and rugged good looks, that Beer had come closest to accepting. Their fledgling relationship came to an abrupt end when Mike demanded that she abandon her crazy idea of running a bar. Their first fight had been their last. According to her matchmakers, Mike was now happily married to a small quiet woman who lovingly catered to his every mood and had given him a son.
         That had been over a year ago and so far, she had managed to avoid their other attempts. She knew their hearts were in the right place, but after the close call with Mike, Beer decided that love would have to find her. Until then, she had a business to run and now another project that would demand her full attention. Hanging up her coat and sitting down her briefcase, Beer ignored the stack of paperwork on the desk and headed back to her friends' table.
         Rusty was at the table taking orders for refills when Beer joined them. "Add a large cup of tea to that please."
         "Sure Beer. Ladies, I'll be right back with your order," he said with a small bow before hurrying off.
         Returning the look of the four women seated around the table, Beer pulled over another chair and sitting down asked, "So! How are my favorite customers in the world doing?"
         "Humph...as if you really care," grumped Daisy.
         "DAISY! Of course, she cares! The poor child has just been busy that's all. Isn't that right dear?" asked Betsy Ross the fourth member of the group.
         "Well..." Beer started to answer.
         "Yeah, too busy to spend a little time with four boring old broads."
         "Now hold on a second. I might be a little on the gray side, but I am far from boring, as anyone of my gentlemen friends will testify to and I am most definitely not a broad. I am a lady!" Replied an indignant Tootsie.
         "Right, you're a lady sure 'nough..." answered Daisy with a deep chuckle. "...A lady of the night."
         "Well, I never..."
         Beer was granted a few minutes of respite as Daisy and Tootsie continued their friendly bantering. While insults and innuendos were hurled back and forth, she realized that she did miss spending time with these fascinating women.
         It was not until a cup of tea was placed before her that she noticed the table had gone quiet and four sets of eyes were staring at her. Trying to hide her embarrassment at being caught drifting, Beer looked at each one and jokingly asked, "What? Did I forget to button my blouse or something?"
         Beer knew that she was in trouble when, as if on cue, four sets of eyebrows went up questioningly followed by a barrage of questions from at least three sides.
"Honey, are you feeling alright?" Questioned Betsy a retired nurse and born caretaker. "You haven't picked up the flu that's going around...have you?"
         "Where's your mind at gal? You going daft on us or what?" demanded Daisy.
         "You do look a little flush sweetie. Is it that time or are you just have man problems?" Tootsie asked leaning closer to hear all the details.
         "Ah jeez only you would think that everyone's problems revolve 'round a man, Tootsie. Not everyone's into men like you, you little strumpet." Came Daisy's disgusted retort to Tootsie's question.
         "Why you no good uncouth loud-mouth hag! Don't you dare call me names!"
         "Ladies!" said Nana quietly.
         "HAG! Why you..."
         "LADIES!" Nana said again in a tone that brought instant silence from the combatants. "I do believe that is quite enough from you two. Sit there and glare all you want at each other, but I do not want to hear another word."
         Both Daisy and Tootsie started to say something, but Nana held up her hand saying, "...From either of you."
         The laughter Beer was struggling to control, died a speedy death as Nana turned her attention on her. Why did she suddenly feel like the child caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Taking a quick sip of tea to wet her throat Beer blurted, "What? I haven't said a word Nana."
         "I know my dear. How could you or anyone else with these two at each other's throat?" Once again a look from Nana squelched any retort from the two women. "Now that we have silence and you our undivided attention. How are you doing?"
         For one quick moment Beer thought of telling them about the dream, but seeing the concerned look on their faces answered, "I am feeling just peachie keen ladies. Sorry, I did not mean to cause any of you to worry. Guess I just drifted off for awhile there."
         Her answer was received with a mix of reactions. Relief clearly showed on Betsy's face and disappointment on Tootsie's. Daisy and Nana were both showing skepticism.
         "Drifted? Hell honey you were so far gone I thought you had turned into one of those zombie things." Commented Daisy, eliciting a small chuckle from Betsy. "Well, now that you are back in the land of the living, why don't you tell us how your newest project is going."
         "I had the final meeting with the contractor today. Work should start within the next week barring any problems. I even managed to convince him in allowing some of the men and women to help."
         "How are your funds?" asked Nana. "Do you require any additional support?"
         "No..." Beer immediately answered. "Things may be a little tight for awhile but I can handle that end. What I could use is help in getting donations of clothes, bedding, food and maybe some volunteered medical aid."
         "I can handle the last part honey," said Betsy.
         "The rest of us..." replied Nana indicating Daisy and Tootsie who nodded their heads. "Shall see to the remaining items. When will you be needing everything?"
         "Buck said that with the additional help it shall still take at least two or three months to complete the basic renovations and maybe another four to complete everything else. I am hoping to be able to use some of the rooms before the really bad weather arrives."
         Nana, never the one to mince words, asked, "And just when do you plan on getting some rest? There are already shadows under your eyes from lack of sleep now."
         Beer had no intention of getting into an argument over how she spent her time or if she was getting enough sleep. So, she grabbed on to the first thing she could think of. "As a matter of fact, I do plan on putting in a lot of hours, but before I do, I have decided to take a few days off to relax."
         She knew her ploy had not worked when Nana casually said, "I see...and this time off starts when exactly?"
         Pinned to her chair by four sets of eyes, Beer had no choice but to continue with the lie. "Ah...this weekend as a matter of fact." Then feeling bad that she was lying to her friends gave her self a way out. "That is, if no problems arise that I need to handle."
         "Well, I think..."Tootsie started to say before Nana placed a hand on her arm.
         "That a nice relaxing vacation is exactly what you need." Nana said with a gleam in her eyes and a sly smile. "As for any problems arising, I am quite sure that Rusty would be able to handle them. Wouldn't you agree dear man?"
         Beer had not noticed that Rusty had come over to the table and was now giving her a questioning look. "Agree with what Nana?"
         "That you would be able to handle this place while Beer takes a short vacation," supplied Nana.
         "Sure, if Beer would every take one." He said adding, "But we all know that will never happen."
         The noose she had so willing put around her neck tightened when Daisy chimed in, "Well, mark it on your calendar son. She just told us that she's taking this weekend off. Isn't that right Beer?"
         Rusty just stood there with a stunned look on his face.
         "Close your mouth Rusty. You look silly." She said. "Besides I also said that if there were no problems. Plus there are a lot of things I have to do before..."
         "Sounds to me like the girl is trying to weasel out of the situation she put herself into." Daisy said looking at the other three. "Wouldn't you all agree?"
         The eerie feeling that she had stepped into a trap, which she had helped make, grew as the others slowly agreed with Daisy's statement. Seeing the futility of any argument she might conjure, Beer conceded defeat.
         "Alright...all ready." She said standing up. "Looks like I'm taking the weekend off. Rusty can handle the place for a couple of days. Meanwhile, there are a few things that I must get done before then."
         "Yeah like my paycheck," chimed in a grinning Rusty.
         "I'll have to think about that." She said. "Ladies, I enjoyed our visit but I must get back to work."
         "Of course dear. Enjoy your vacation." Nana replied.
         Taking one final look at the four women sitting there with Cheshire like grins on their faces, Beer headed for her office. I don't know how they managed it, she thought; but they had successful manipulated her again. Oh well, it looked like she was about to take some time off.



Chapter Six


         The insistent buzzing of the alarm roused Morgan from a deep sleep. Stretching out his arm to blindly find the bedside clock, he finally managed to locate the snooze button. Just a few more minutes, he thought turning on to his stomach and pulling the pillow over his head. As much as he wanted to go back to sleep, his mind was fully awake and working.
         His arrival home had been delayed by forty minutes due to a serve thunderstorm over the airport. The plane touched down at around seven this morning and after a thirty-minute ride, Morgan collapsed on his bed and slept.
         So here it was some ten hours later and he found himself recalling his conversation with Julia while lying in bed. The one thing he could not quite figure out was why she wanted him to personally handle the case. Like she had said, he had some of the best security people in his organization. Anyone of them could handle any situation that may arise.
         So why him? Moreover, why now? A light tapping at his bedroom door interrupted his thoughts. "Yeah," he said throwing aside the pillow and sitting up.
         "It's me boss," replied Rob opening the door. "You told me to make sure you were up by six."
         "Thanks Rob. Have you been able to come up with anything on that club and owner?"
         "Yeah, but there are a few strange things I haven't been able to trace yet."
         "Strange, huh. Okay let me get cleaned up and we will go over what you've collect so far. Put on some coffee and I'll be out in a few."
         Half an hour later, Morgan walked into the kitchen where Rob was sitting at the table and talking on the telephone. Picking a cup from the rack, he poured himself some coffee. A soft rumbling in his stomach reminded Morgan that it had been almost 24 hours since he had last eaten.
         As this last assignment had taken three months to complete, he knew the refrigerator would be bare so his only recourse would be a can of soup. He was opening the pantry door when Rob got his attention and pointed to the refrigerator.
         Opening the door Morgan was surprised to see it fully stocked with a hand written note taped to the inner seal. A smile lit his face as he read the note from his sister. Bless you sis, he thought taking out a dish and turning to the microwave. Robs' conversation ended at the same time the microwave beeped saying his dinner was ready.
         "Mac came by early yesterday with an arm load of supplies." Rob volunteered, pointing to the plate. "Took us a good half hour to put everything away."
         Swallowing a bite of Mac's savory homemade lasagna, Morgan said, "This is delicious. Judging from the amount of prepared meals stuffing the shelves, it looks like she had another cooking marathon. I will have to give her a call tomorrow."
         Morgan knew from past experience that whenever something was bothering his younger sister, she used cooking as an outlet. Said it helped her to think and sort things out. Finishing the last of his meal, he took his plate over to the sink and picking up the coffeepot returned to the table.
         "Okay, why don't you fill me in on what you have learned so far." He said refilling both of their cups before sitting back down.
         "Thanks." Rob said before taking a quick sip. "Like I told you on the plane, the bar is located in gang territory. Specifically in the neighborhood ruled by a gang of females known as the Black Widows."
         "A female gang! That doesn't sound too bad."
         "Don't get your hopes up too much boss. These women are very different from your normal everyday females. According to my source, they are considered one of the top gangs in the area and fiercely protect what they consider as theirs. Seems they dabble into a number of rackets, as do most of the gangs, but their main two are protection and prostitution. They have no qualms of eliminating anyone who attempts to infringe either on their business or territory."
         "Sounds delightful." Morgan said sarcastically. "Is the bar a front for their other businesses?"
         "No. In fact, to the best of anyone's knowledge, it is a legitimate place of business." Rob answered as he shuffled through some papers. "According to the Office of Deeds, the place is owned and operated by a 30 year old woman. I ran a standard background check and that is when I ran into problems. Until 21 years ago, the woman did not exist. No record of her birth could be found and it wasn't until she was enrolled in school at the age of 7 that she became part of the system."
         "So what is this mystery woman's name?"
         "The name on record is...Beer."
         "Beer!" Morgan exclaimed. "What the hell kind of name is that? I think someone is trying to pull your strings Rob. It has to be a nickname or something."
         "Not that I have been able to determine. As far as any of my contacts can tell, that is her legal name."
         "What type of woman would call herself after a drink? Is she a member of that gang?
         "There is an unconfirmed rumor that she may have run with the gang at one time or another. I believe this to be true. Why else would the Widows allow her to operate inside their turf, let alone declare that section as neutral territory."
         "That is not unheard of. I understand rival gangs often establish such an area between them."
         "True. Yet, what is different here is that every one of the cities' gangs has agreed to it. Anyone breaking the agreement is quickly dealt with by his or her respective gang. Believe me, the city officials would like to know how she managed to accomplish this."
         "So what else can you tell me about this paragon of peace?"
         Again, Rob referred to his notes. "A real looker from what everyone's told me. She is around 5'6"; 125 to 130 pounds; long dark hair and green eyes. She was raised by a retired ships cook named Mai Tai, now deceased, and graduated in the top tenth of her class at Knickerbocker. After graduation, she went on to receive an associate's degree in business from the local community college. Seven years ago, she used her inheritance to buy both the building housing the bar and a three-story home within walking distance of the bar."
         "Whew, that probably took a lot of money. I had no idea a cook made that kind of money."
         "They don't," replied Rob. "That is one area I am still checking on. I have been able to find that she had obtained some backing but have not located the source."
         "How is the business doing? Any signs of money laundering?"
         Rob shuffled through the paperwork again and handed Morgan a sheet of paper. "That is just a sketchy financial report for now. I should have a full report some time tomorrow. As you can see, the bar is showing a profit, although not enough to indicate anything illegal is going on."
         Studying the report, Morgan had to agree with Rob's analysis. Sitting aside the paper, he leaned forward and rested his arms on the table. "I want you to continue checking this woman out. I want to know everything you can find out about her. I have to assume that this is the woman Julia suspects is her niece."
         "You have to admit Morgan that based on the time table of events, she could be right. Her niece disappeared at the age of five, believed to have been lost at sea. Then three years later an old ship's cook shows up with an eight-year-old in tow. No birth records...no medical records...not one thing to prove who the girl really is."
         "Do you actually believe that a five year old managed to survive the hurricane that killed her bodyguard and sank their boat?"
         With a small shrug of his shoulders Rob answered, "Stranger things have happened."
         "Could all be a coincidence?" Morgan suggested.
         "Could be."
         Checking his watch Morgan saw that he had an hour before meeting Julia. "Alright, keep digging around. Until proven otherwise we will proceed as if this woman is Julia's' long lost niece. Which means we have to start preparations for their protection."
© Copyright 2005 Nitehawk (nitehawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/975855-The-Adventure-Begins---Chapters-5--6