*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/976078-Lost-and-Not-Yet-Found
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Emotional · #976078
A girl who can't decide which way she wants her life to turn. WIP
The words trickled into my deaf ears, leaving only a trace of a buzzing behind to reverberate in my skull. Mum was at it again. I couldn't remember what had set her off this time, but I had a feeling it was due to the fact that I'd just broken up with the man I'd been living with for the past eight months. So we slept together, that doesn't mean we have to get married. But Mum always was one for tradition.

"You were living in Sin with this... this... Boy!" Mum whirled towards me and I rolled my eyes. "Don't you roll your damn eyes at me Young Lady!"
"Stop it Mum!" I heard myself yell. "I told you from the beginning that I never planned on marrying Jim! You knew!"
"Merrideth!" Dad's voice boomed out from the adjoining den. "Get in here, right now!"

I glared at Mum who threw me a triumphant smirk as I sulked into Dad's area of the house. One look at his scowling face, and I wanted to throw myself out of the window. Luckily, all my old boarding school training caught up with me. After only a week at that forsaken school, I was able to wipe my face clear of everything I didn't want shown. It was a handy trick, especially when dealing with Dad. You could never know when he was being completely serious or just putting you on edge.

"Close the door please." Dad intoned, watching me intently, a thoughtful finger on his lower lip.

I did as he asked. When I turned around he gestured towards the chair opposite his desk. Glad to not be on my feet, I sank into the abused armchair. Dad continued studying me, and with a sigh, I realized he wanted me to start the conversation.

"He wanted five kids Dad." I said, throwing my hands up in exasperation. "And I mean, we deffinitely weren't in love, it was just convenience. But Jesus! FIVE KIDS! I'm not even sure I want to deal with one brat, who the hell wants five?!"

Dad grinned and started chuckling. I glared at him, and hunched into the chair. I suppose I should have known he would have found the situation amusing. After a moment, he stood up and walked over to the drink cart. With a practiced hand, he poured himself a Brandy and turned towards me again, the scowl gone from his face completely. With a tip of his glass in my direction he called "Cheers" and took a large swallow.

"I'm glad I didn't tell Mum he proposed last week." I groaned inwardly thinking of the anuerism Mum would have had, if she'd known.
"We both are." Dad walked back to his chair. "So what's the latest plan of action? Do you still own that old Apartment, or are you in the market again?"
"I picked one out the day after he proposed because I was afraid something like this would happen." With a glance at Dad, I bit my lip for a moment before adding, "Dad, it was a mutual decision in the end. It wasn't just me being a brat. Jim wasn't happy either. We're better friends and we both know it."

Dad's face seemed to twitch in response. After a moment of recomposure, he took a deep breath and continued. "I probably shouldn't have pushed the two of you together. But I figured you were already good friends, and you were both lacking any romance..."
"Dad," I reached accross the desk to grab his hand, "I blame none of this on you. In truth I thought it might work out for awhile. But it didn't, and you know what, that's fine. It's not like he was my fir..."

Dad's eyes flew to mine, and I regreted the ease with which the words had almost tumbled out. I wanted him to think of me as the perfect girl, not the tramp everyone else seemed to think me to be. I bit my lip hard, drawing a drop of blood, refusing to meet his gaze, and sank back into the chair. I sat there waiting for the explosion. Instead, I only felt coldness slide into the cozy room. Looking up, I found Dad staring past me to the door. He stood up and walked out. Not another word. I decided I was dismissed and within a matter of moments, I managed to push past my mother, loudly singing a random melody, grab my coat, and run out to the car.

As soon as I had the engine started, I felt the numbness I'd been portraying leak a little. But somehow I managed to push it all back, and drove to my new condo. The barren white rooms with no company and little baggage.
*
Merrideth opened the door of her new condo and sighed. Not leaving the opportunity for second thoughts, she forced herself in and closed the door. Dropping her bag on her way through the front hall she looked around and frowned. While it wasn't horrible, it was no where near as nice as her last one. Her last apartment had been a place she would willingly call home. But with Jim, it was all him or nothing. She'd taken a chance, and this was what was left to her.

Sighing heavily, Merrideth was simply glad to see her furniture had arrived. With that thought in mind, she heaved herself onto the charming old leather couch she'd bought for only $100 at a resale shop. This couch had gone through a lot with her. It had been the first piece of furniture she'd ever bought and it had taken a place of honor when she moved into her first apartment. Despite the couch taking up a good third of the floor, she'd been extremely happy in the tiny apartment with her couch. Jim had teased her to no end about the thing when she'd first bought it, but he, too, had come to love the abused thing.

Merrideth looked around from her vantage point and saw that all her other boxes and furniture items had been piled into her bedroom. Tomorrow she would sort them all out, the couch would make a marvelous bed for the evening. Merrideth knew that once the sun shone in, the room would look much better. The harsh glow of the halogen lighting bouncing of the white walls was unbearable. She knew she'd have to find some colorful hangings for the walls or she'd die. Knowing that she now had projects, Merrideth leaned back and closed her eyes. A moment before she sank into sleep, her cell phone blasted through the silence. Groaning she tried to hide inside her sweatshirt. It didn't work.

"Hello?" Merrideth said into the hated phone.
"It's Jim." the voice on the other line sounded strained.
"Hey, what's up?" Merrideth perked up. Just because they were no longer an item, didn't mean she'd stop being his friend.
"I love you." Jim's voice cracked, and Merrideth thought she heard sobs.
"Oh no." Merrideth warned into the phone. "We're not doing this again. You already broke my heart once this week, not again..."
"I mean it Merry." Jim cried into the phone. "I need you!"
"No Jim!" Merrideth felt on the verge of tears. "You don't mean it. You admitted it yourself. The only reason you say these things to me is because your ex still won't have you."

There was silence on the other line.

"You're really not going to fall for it again are you." Jim sneered arrogantly. "But I had you and now I've broken you haven't I. You should have known better than to go out with me Merry. They all warned you, even I did. You saw what I did to the other girls, but you thought since we were friends it'd all work out, didn't ya. Guess again. Bye Sweetheart."

The line went dead. Merrideth's hands trembled and the tears she'd been holding for the past three days seemed on the brink of flooding out. But when she glanced down at her watch and saw that it was only nine in the evening, she changed her mind-she would never be able to sleep now. Instead of wallowing, she would begin to sort everything now, rather than tomorrow. But as she stood up, there was a knock on her door. Merrideth froze. She began trembling from head to foot, fearing Jim had found her. Why she feared him was just one more instance she refused to remember, but in that moment, the horror returned to mind.

"Who's there?" She called from across the room.
"One guess, doll."

Merrideth squealed and ran to the door. After a flustered minute of trying to open her locked door, Merrideth managed to calm herself enough to open the locks. When the last lock was free, she swung the door open and threw herself into the arms of the man outside. The man laughed and swung her around.

"How did you find me?" Merrideth squealed not letting go.
"Why don't we go inside and talk." The man laughed, trying to pry Merrideth off. Mindful of the other closed doors in the building. "Come on Merry, you can have me all to yourself once you get me and my bag inside."

Merrideth started. His bag? But he only ever carried that bag when he was moving to a new place. Confused, she picked up the bag and gestured him in.

"Jack," Merrideth called, after closing the door, "Why are you here?"

Jack plopped down on the couch and grinned. Merrideth left his bag by the door and leaned against the wall, studying him. Jack sighed, and patted the spot on the couch beside him.

"I'll only be here two days." He said, "I got here, and the old tenants haven't finished moving out yet."
"I find it absolutely charming that you came to me." Merrideth drawled, "But how on Earth did you get the address."
"You certainly do change moods quickly. From such a hearfelt welcome to extreme suspicion. It's amazing." Jack saw Merrideth's eyes narrow, and hurried his explanation. "I went over to your parents. Your mother seemed very upset when she opened the door, but brightened up pretty quick when she saw me. They said they had no room for me, but they thought you'd have more than enough space. So can I stay, Merry?"
Merry sighed, and walked over to the couch, almost sorry she'd called her mom on the way over to give her the new address. "Alright, but you're going to be helping me fix the place up."

Jack jumped up and hugged Merry. She laughed and shoved him off.

"So tell me what's brought you back?" Merrideth asked, as they sat back on the couch.
"Why to inspire you of course." Jack pulled Merrideth over his lap. "What do you say we break in this place with a new painting?:

Merrideth laughed. Jack grinned.

"I'm serious." Jack poked Merrideth sharply in the ribs. "I know for a fact that you've been slacking off. And you know that even talented artists lose their gift without practice, so where does that leave you?"
"Bitch!" Merrideth laughed and struggled out of his arms. "There's a drop cloth in the the bag nearest the window over there. And I'll get my canvas."

Jack laughed and got her drop cloth out and over the blank space in the living room.

"No, no, no." Merry shook her head, "It has to be in the master bedroom."
"Why?" Jack pouted.
"You'll see." Merry grabbed Jack's arm and pulled him after her down the side corrider from the door.

As soon as the duo entered the room, Jack's jaw dropped. One entire wall of the room consisted of floor to cieling windows leading out to a balcony. The view was incredible, it proved that being on the top floor of a twenty story building paid off. Merrideth tapped his shoulder and pointed up. Jack followed her finger and found himself looking out into the clearest stars he'd seen since coming back from New York.

"Isn't it amazing?" Merrideth spun around hugging herself. "This was the selling point in an otherwise bland condo."
"No offense," Jack said, awed, "but how the hell did you afford this."
"Smalltown USA." Merrideth grinned, "Our first real condo building and they're so proud of it they're not aware of the deals they're giving to us poor struggling artists."
"You got a side job, didn't you." Jack gave her a pointed look.
"It helped, yes." Merrideth grinned. "Now get that drop in here right now."
"Yes ma'am." Jack saluted and went to his task.

Merrideth closed her eyes and sighed, imagining the wonders that were to come in this room. Her moment was broken by the thudding sound of a tall man falling in her living room. Rolling her eyes, she went back into the main hallway to get her canvas and utensils. Jack, struggling to pull the huge piece of fabric through the hallway glared as Merry flaunced past to get her things. But as soon as he got the thing through the door, he shook it and -like magic- it laid itself out to fit perfectly. Merrideth came back with her canvas, utensils, and carboard boxes with FIRE scrawled on the side. Jack cocked an eyebrow.

"Candles. Perfect for mood lighting." Merrideth sat herself in the middle of the room and put her canvas on the ground.

In a matter of moments, she'd propped up a mini easle which allowed her to remain sitting, and had created a nicely mixed pallet. She'd also put at least one candle into every corner. Jack looked around curiously but something still seemed wrong. Merrideth caught his gaze and winked, then crossed behind him to turn off the overhead lights. The room glowed a radiant orange. Jack still felt something was wrong. He bit his lip looking at Merry's easle area.

"There all better." Merrideth said a minute later, Jack jumped in surprise.
"What do you..." he turned around and took in the sight before him. Merry had stripped off her pants and shoes, leaving only her underwear, socks, and huge sweatshirt. With a smirk she tied her hair up in a high ponytail. Jack gave her an appraising look. "I knew something was missing in my life."
"Well, it's not my fault you stopped modeling for me." Merrideth flipped her ponytail and settled herself in front of the easle. "You got too expensive for my wallet."
"How about I model for free tonight?" Jack leaned over Merry, "It's one of the few things I do well."
"If you really want to." Merry smiled, Jack had been the only model she could ever get to paint the way she wanted. She claimed it was because he was such an open person with her that her paintings could go to new depths. Jack kissed her cheek and settled by the window.
"Any pose?" he asked, looking happily out the window.
"Just do whatever," Merry bit her lip, thinking, "You know how I work."
"Never know, you might have changed." Jack smiled to himself, knowing that was one of the last things he'd ever expect from her -change.
"Shit." Merry stomped out of the room.
"Merry?" Jack called, confused by her sudden outburst.
"Music!" Merry called back, "and keep it down, people may be trying to sleep and I'm a new neighbor."
"Hippocrate." Jack muttered, grinning despite himself.
"Ass," Merry appeared in the doorway with a CD player and an iPod. "But once this is plugged in and going, everything'll be fine."

Merrideth plugged the CD player in and after a moment of radio static, she convinced her iTrip to work properly. As The Shins came sulking through the speakers, Merrideth smiled and went back to sitting in front of her blank canvas. As soon as she looked up and saw Jack's expression she knew what she was going to paint.

Jack watched as Merry observed him. He'd forgotten how intense she got when she was concentrating. But he liked working with her. She was so much more lax than many of the other artists he worked with. Once she got the general sketch down she'd let him do whatever, so long as he'd stay within her range of vision. Even when he was moving she was able to pick out what she needed. Seeing Merry bend down over the canvas without looking up, Jack figured he could move.

"One more second." Merry said, peering at him. "Perfect. You can move now."
"So who are we listening to?" Jack stretched out in front of the window.
"The Shins, aren't they amazing?" Merry paused for a second and just looked at Jack.
"They sound pretty good." Jack answered, unnerved by her watchful gaze.
"Did you leave because Lina broke up with you?" Merry asked, gauging his reaction.

Jack started a bit. Then leaned back against the window. Merry watched as he seemed to struggle for words.

"Partially," he finally said, "she was always around the studios. You know, since she's a photographer and all. But I just wanted out of New York and back to my roots."

Merry put down her paints and crawled over to Jack. Before he could stop her, she slipped under his arm and hugged him. After a moment of hesitation, Jack leaned his chin on her head and sighed.

"It's okay to be upset you know." Merry whispered against his shirt.
"I'm a guy, what did you expect?" Jack half-joked, hugging Merry tighter to him.

The two sat cuddled together watching the mini city's lights flicker and dance. Their revery was interupted by a shrill beeping in the living room.

"Damn it." Jack stiffened, "I better go see who's calling."

Merry let him go. She noticed as he walked out that he seemed like a beast about to pounce. He was too tense. Maybe if she finished the painting, he'd feel better, she decided. Decision made, she went back to her canvas and continued painting.

Two hours later, Jack came back into the room. Merry was curled up in front of her completed painting and the Shins were still slinking through the room. Smiling sedately, Jack walked over to the slumbering Merry. As he got near, however, Merry woke up and smiled at him. With a wave, she gestured to the painting.

"All done." she said, sitting up. "I call it 'star eyes'."

Jack studied the painting. It was a young man in a photo studio dressed in the most modern of attire. Everything around him was chic and streamlined, but as you looked into his eyes, you could see a clear night sky reflected. And in his leather jacket's pocket was a small piece of flannel sticking out, like a little hankie. Jack looked at Merry.

"It's yours if you want it." Merry yawned. "I don't think it's very good. I made a better one a month ago."
"Merry, this is beautiful." Jack knelt next to Merry, "I'd feel guilty just taking it."
"Why?" Merry leaned into his steady weight, trying not to doze, "You're the inspiration, model, and real life subject."
"Do you really want me to have it?" Jack asked
"Of course I do, silly." Merry yawned widely. "Now it's night night."

Jack caught Merry just before she fell onto her still wet palate. Gingerly he lifted her up and walked her into the living room. After a moment of fumbled searching in the dark he found the couch and laid her out. She never even stirred. Jack smiled, and stretched out on the floor in front of her and was out cold in less than a minute.

*
I awoke the next morning to find myself spread out on a hardwood floor. It took me a moment to remember where I was. Merry's place. I sat up and looked around. The place looked a hell of a lot better with the sunlight coming in from the kitchen and bedroom windows. I could only imagine how splendid the master bedroom would look.

"Morning Lazy!" Merry's cheery voice rang from the kitchen. "I've got coffee and a bag of cookies in here, but that's all."
"Sounds like a feast to me." I said, waiting for another moment before standing.

I still couldn't believe that she'd let me stay without a fight. I'd been so worried she'd see me and slam the door. Almost made me glad that I misjudged her. But then, she may have just be pretending. I found myself in the same old thought train again. Without a second to spare I shook the thoughts out of my mind and joined Merry for coffee.

*

After finishing their coffee, the two friends began the laborsome task of setting everything up from the boxes. Thankfully, Merrideth had sorted and labeled everything, even the specific types of cutlery. The work was quick, but tiresome as everything moved from one room to another and sometimes back again. But they worked continuously until around one o'clock, when Merrideth heard something akin to the sound of a roaring lion. For a moment she stood rooted to the spot waiting for something terrible to happen. Then, observing where the sound was coming from, she stared, wide-eyed at Jack's stomache. Noticing the lack of movement from Merry, Jack looked up.

"What's wrong?" Jack asked.
"Are you really hungry?" Merry asked, staring at him
"I can wait. We want to get this done." Jack gave Merry an odd look, "You okay, Merry?"
"We're making you some food." Merry nodded her head vigorously and walked over to the phone booth. "And by we, I mean which ever food place I call."
"Honestly," Jack protested, "I'm fine, unless you're starving, in which case go right ahead, but don't do this just for me."

Merry deftly flipped through the phone book. She had just been recommended a really awesome thai food place last week from one of her clients. But she couldn't remember the name for the life of her. Jack continued waiting for his answer.

"Are you aware what a ravenous Lion sounds like?" Merry asked, furiously flipping through more pages.
"Umm, not that I know of." Jack plopped onto the couch.
"Because that's what your stomache sounds like." Merry squealed and picked up her phone.
"What?" Jack shook his head.
"Shh." Merry pointed to her phone. "Hi, yes, I'd like to place an order for delivery."

*

Once settled with the food, Merrideth made sure Jack ate as much as was neccessary to curb his appetite. So much so, that she ate as little as a bird. A fact that Jack immediately picked up on. As soon as he finished the plate of pad thai, he looked over as Merry picked at her food.

"You're too thin." he announced, making her jump slightly.
"I'm sorry?" Merry peered at him
"If this is how you've been eating lately, it explains a lot." Jack stated, crossing his arms.
"Your stomache scares me and I'd rather you were well fed." Merry glared at him.
"You could have gotten more food. I would have paid for my own." Jack waited for a contradiction.
"Why you little creep!" Merry shot up. "How dare you! I'm letting you stay here, out of the blue for two days, and you repay me by critiquing every little quirk I have?!"
"Do you always eat like this Merry? Picking at your food." Jack stood, and towered over her. "Just answer that."
"So what if I do? It's my life, and I'm never very hungry." Merry glared deffensively at Jack.
"Well I think you're making yourself sick." Jack said, waiting for the explosion. Instead, Merrideth just grinned and waltzed into the bedroom to continue sorting through boxes. "I'm not done with you Merry!"
"Yes you are!" she called back, leaning out of the doorway, "I eat however much I feel when I want. When I'm nervous I eat more and when I'm thinking I eat less. It's the way I work."
"Don't play me like that Merry." Jack leaned heavily against the kitchen counter.
"I just find it adorable that you cared so much." Merrideth danced back in and laid a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you Jackie-poo."

Jack winced at the nick-name and shoved the laughing Merrideth away from him. Before the two could get into a real fight there was a knock on the door. Merrideth stopped cold and stared at the door. She was frozen in terror. Jack watched her for a moment then went to the door. Without even bothering with the peephole, Jack undid all the locks and swung the door open. He came face to face with a sneering Jim.

"Hey, Jim!" Jack smiled, surprised to see an old friend.
"Jack?" Jim's face lost it's sneer and he just seemed confused. "What are you doing here?"
"Merry's letting me crash here for the next day until I can move into my new place."
"Dude, why didn't you call, you could have stayed with me." Jim looked hurt
"Tried, your phone was out of order, or something. It was weird."

Jack felt a tug on his shirt. He turned to find Merrideth trying to make him move. Grudgingly, he moved out of the doorway. Jim took one look at the cowering Merrideth and his sneer returned. Jack's eyes bounced between the two.

"Do we have some issues to work out here?" Jack asked.
"Yea," Jim grinned at him, "Maybe it'd be better if you left us alone for a bit."

Merrideth's eyes blazed at the thought of being left alone with the man. In a fraction of a second she transformed from cowering mouse to tigress.

"Get the fuck out of here, Jim." Merry said, surprised by her tone.
"Oh, come one now, Mer." Jim pouted. "Just give me a minute."
"If you don't leave I'll call the cops." Merry looked to Jack, "You're welcome to go with him, but your stuff will be scattered to the wind when you return. I advise you two meet up and reminisce when I am in complete ignorance."
"Call my cell Jim." Jack's eyes never moved from Merrideth.
"Yea," Jim looked a little frightened in the change of Merry.
"Don't look so surprised, Jim." Merry glared, "I still have the bruises covered up from last week when I said no."

Jim grinned and before he could make another move, Merry slammed the door and bolted all the locks. In her fury she turned to Jack. He stood staring at her, and she couldn't stand it. With a growl she pounced on him, and started punching his chest. The only thing she really managed to do was tackle him to the floor.

"Whoa!" Jack pinned her arms to her side and pushed her off of him. "What'd I do?"
"You talked to that vile piece of sewage." Merry spat.
"Merry!" Jack cried struggling to hold her still. "How the hell was I supposed to know something had happened?! You haven't told me anything about you two! I didn't even know you were going out, let alone broken up!"

Merrideth stopped struggling and glared up at Jack. She didn't like his logic. Jack gave her a cold look, not releasing his hold. Merrideth peered into his eyes and after a moment, her lip began trembling. Jack didn't notice, he was too distracted by the fact that she had said something about bruises. When he heard her choked sob however, his sight returned to her and he saw her tears.

"Shit." He sat back on his heels and pulled her to him. "Merry, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you. I've barely been back a day, and I'm yelling at you for not filling me in on your entire life these past years."

Merrideth simply sobbed into his shirt. He tried soothing her; petting her hair, rocking gently, but the onslaught of tears did not end. All the stress and pent-up emotion came out of her in racking floods of tears. Merry, eventually, hiccuped and let go of his shirt. Meekly she gave him a shaky smile.

"I'm sorry." she croaked. "I don't know what just came over me."
"No problem, babe." Jack kissed the top of her head, "Let's get you something to calm you down a bit."
"Red Wine?" Merry looked up hopefully, then her face fell, "I can't afford a bottle of wine right now."
"My treat." Jack stood up and pulled her along with him. "Let's find a nice winery."

Merry snorted. The closest thing they had to a winery was the Jewel down the street which had minimum selection of any kind of alcoholic beverage, let alone good wine. Jack, however, could not believe this to be fact, so he snatched up the phone book and started flipping through.

"Ah ha!" he cried stabbing his finger at a page.
"What?" Merry peered over his shoulder, "No. That's way too expensive, and I look horrible."
"Come on, Mer." Jack pleaded. "I feel bad. And I know you clean up real good like."

Merrideth laughed at the child's play. Seeing he'd won her over, he gave her a hug and pushed her in the direction of her dresser.

"Something nice."
"What're you gonna wear?" Merry asked, thinking she'd caught him.
"You'll see." Jack gave her a toothy grin, and left the apartment.
*
Merrideth adjusted the dress one last time, then looked in the mirror. Jack had called five minutes ago saying they had a reservation in an hour, and that he'd be over in half that time. Contemplating her reflection, Merrideth decided make-up was required and 25 min should be more than enough time.

"If he isn't dressed up I'll kill him," Merrideth muttered as she sorted through the makeup cluttered in front of the bathroom mirror. She'd had to throw out most of the stuff from the move here, so it was limited colors, and none she really liked. Her favorite lipstick had exploded in it's container and she'd given it up as a lost cause.

"Fuck it." she thought, "I'm an artist I can make this shit work."
*
Jack whistled on his way up the elevator and down the hall. A door opened and he doffed his hat to the elderly woman who peeped out.

"Young man," she called.
"Yes?" he turned to face her.
"Are you going to see that new girl?" she looked around him at Merry's door curiously.
"Indeed I am ma'am." Jack smiled.
"Is it true she...that she's..." the woman trailed off.
"That she's what." Jack raised an eyebrow invitingly.
"She's Merrideth Edwards, that artist?" the words came out in a rush.
"As far as I know, yes, she is." Jack smiled warmly. "Are you a fan?"
"Oh yes!" The woman nodded enthusiastically. "She did a portrait of my son a few years ago as one of her side jobs, I was terribly impressed."
"You should tell her. She's a lot nicer than she may seem."
"I have no doubt, I just can't move very far from my rooms. And she has the entire penthouse up there."
"I beg your pardon?" Jack stopped.
"Did she not tell you?" the woman looked puzzled. "My husband sold her the place, so I know the full details. She plans on using this part down here for her studio, but she has a stairway leading up to the penthouse. I understand it's beautiful up there, but not quite as nice as the view she has from that room down here."
"Well," Jack shook his head. "I thank you for the valuable information."
"You'll tell her I'm a fan?" the woman put her hand on his arm.
"If I knew your name it might help." Jack smiled again.
"Elizabeth Conners."
"I'll gladly tell her and I hope to see you again Mrs. Conners." Jack doffed his hat once more. Then, when she was once again behind her door he continued to Merry's door. He rapped twice.

"Ms. Merrideth Edwards, I have come to escort you to dinner." He called.
"One moment please."

Jack waited, leaning against the outside doorframe. When he heard the locks moving he twisted to face the door. The door swung open lazily and Merrideth stood self-consciously on the other side. Jack's jaw dropped and he couldn't for the life of him think of the right words to say. Merrideth huffed and turned towards the long mirror.

"Is it really that bad?" she looked anxious.
"Mer," Jack croaked before clearing his throat. "If that's bad, I don't think the world could handle ok."

Merrideth turned to him, surprise and delight illuminating her face. She threw herself on him, careful to avoid disturbing her make-up. Jack pushed her off.

"What is it with you and not letting me into your condo."

Merrideth grinned and gestured for him to enter. Jack strode in, trying to avoid fully looking at Merry. Once she had secured the door the two studied each other.

"Turn please." Merry said, trying not to let the fine tremor she felt throughout herself into her voice. Jack looked absolutely splendid. He'd gone for the vintage dapper look. The slim fitting khaki dress pants, pressed white shirt, matching khaki jacket, brought out his extremely well-defined body. But it was the little touches that really made the outfit. He'd gotten his hands on a cotten handkerchef which he'd folded delicately into his pocket around a pocket watch, and he had a hat she remembered too well. It was his Irish Taxi-Man hat. He'd found it when they were on an exchange in Ireland during High School. It had been lying in the gutter. Jim and Merry had both been disgusted when he dragged the ragged thing out of the mud. But Jack saw the potential in the thing, and once it had been properly cleaned it looked pretty good, gave him a rogueish appearance. Looking at him now, Merrideth couldn't find her breath easily. She'd seen this man nude when they were younger, but now he'd finally filled out that gangly body of his, and he knew how to accentuate everything he had.

Jack did a final turn and found Merry staring at him, with a confused expression. He gave a nervous laugh.

"You look..." Merry fought for the right words, "grown up."
"Gee thanks." Jack studied her form. "Your turn."

Merrideth gathered her wits and started turning slowly. Jack began wondering if having her do this was such a great idea. Seeing her spin, as she was, only made him notice her curves more. The dress was simple enough; a little strapless black number that flared gracefull from the hips down. He had failed, at first, to notice the slight twinkle the dress gave off under the lights, but the almost imperceptible sparkles covered the entirety of the ensemble. Her make-up, was also hardly noticeable. Well, not quite so, it was noticed, but no one would at first know it was the make-up that gave her the haunted beauty in her face. Jack had wondered what she was going to do after hearing her bemoan all the makeup she'd thrown out that afternoon. But she was an artist, what else could be expected.

"You are a goddess." Jack said bowing his head. Merry giggled.
"Shall we go, Mr. Grown Up Jack?"
"After you my dear Goddess."
*
Dinner was fantastic. Merrideth had calmed down considerably since the Jim episode and Jack didn't want to bring up such a topic in public,so she remained as such. Half way through their desert Jack stopped the conversation abruptly, wincing halfway through a sentence.

"Are you okay?"
"Fine, I just remembered a request given to me."
"Good, you had me worried for a second Jack."
"Good to know." Merry made a face, but Jack continued, "I met one of your neighbors on my way to your room."
"Oh?"
"She seemed very curious about you."
"Lovely." Merry replied caustically, "Did you tell her about the wild rampant sex?"
"No, but I should have now that you mention it." Merry's napkin flew into his face. "Kidding, kidding. She actually asked me to tell you she's a fan of yours."
"Are you kidding me?!" Merry fairly squealed, "That's fantastic, do you remember her name."
"Yeah, give me a sec." Jack gnawed his lip thoughtfully. "OH! Elizabeth Conners. Her husband sold you your place. And apparently you did a portrait of her son at some point. About your place..."
"Oh! I remember her!" Merrideth interupted hurriedly, "Sweet lady. She was an absolute darling when I was painting."
"Merry..." Jack tried again.
"That apple desert thing was fantasmic, wasn't it?"
"Yes, but..."
"I think we should call for the check now. Could you waive down the waiter?"

Jack did as he was requested and after the waiter left them the check, he tried again.

"Merry..."
"I can cover the tip, if you want. I feel terrible making you pay for all of this."
"I'm a model, I can handle the cost. But Merry..."
"Well, then Mr. Model, you can tell me how much I should be tipping and you can go up there and pay."

Jack sighed, and noticed Merry wouldn't even look up at him as she fumbled with the latch on her wallet.

"If you want." Jack strode over to the cashier as Merry gathered all of their things together and placed a nice sized tip on the table.
*
Merrideth held open the door for Jack, and locked it swiftly behind them. Jack doffed off his hat, coat and shoes, and collapsed on the couch. Merrideth wasn't far behind, tossing her shoes off and letting her hair free of it's pins, before collapsing on the end of the couch.

"Can I ask my question now?" Jack asked pointedly.
"I suppose." Merrideth squirmed uncomfortably.
"Do you own both this condo and the pent house?"
Merrideth looked up surprised, "Yes."
"And you don't have money?"
"No, I don't." Merry glared at him, "Because of these places, I don't have money. And don't you dare try to lecture me about this. This condo is going to be for me and my painting alone, if I ever get time for that again. And..."
"Again?" Jack interupted impatiently, "What do you mean again?"
"I have to afford this place, and I don't own it yet. So I've been doing mostly whatever easy paying job I can get. Like portraits, or landscapes for hotels and whatnot."
"Ok. Now why do you want both of these places." Jack still couldn't comprehend her round about logic.
"Once this place is eventually paid off, I'll have more free time, and once I get a nice size collection I can start doing shows again. Upstairs would be for private parties, or shows. Exclusive. And if that doesn't work out for me, I could host other up and coming artists."
"You're not worried about home security? Aren't the stairs through your home?"
"I'm working on that still. I'm thinking making a seperate hallway and having another door into here. Do you think my entry way is big enough?" Merry swung herself off the couch and started pacing the area, trying to get a feel for size.

Jack leaned back into the couch and sighed. The wine was finally taking it's effect, and he felt the fuzzy warmth of sleep start to slip up on him. Merry stopped chattering and look at the drowsing beast on her couch. With a smile, she covered him with a blanket and went to change out of her dress.

When she came back into the living room, Jack had stretched out to a seemingly impossible length on the couch. Merrideth smiled and turned off the lights on her way into her temporary studio.

She painted until sun rise.
*
Jack awoke to the smell of coffee and bagels. Roused by his stomache he yawned and stretched over the couch. Taking a moment to get his barings, his stood slowly before walking into the kitchen.

Merrideth was sitting sipping coffee. She was covered in paint splatters and the dark circles under eyes illuminated the paleness of her skin. His movement caused her to look up and smile tiredly at him.

"Figured giving you a good breakfast might cut back on the lion's growl." she yawned widely.
"Painted all night?" Jack asked, pouring himself a large cup of black coffee. It was the only way he could wake up.
"And most of the morning so far, yes. I want to get as much time in as I can on the weekends. I generally have jobs for most of the week, and when I don't, it's my sleep catch up. Which reminds me. When are you moving into this place of yours?"
"Hopefully tonight. You wanna help me get stuff up to it when the time comes?"
"Gladly." Merry sniffled. "Shit, I hope these are just allergies."
"But I love what you paint when you're sick. It's like Picasso on crack."
"Fuck off." Merry gave him a push toward the bagels. "Put something in that foul mouth of yours."

The two sat in silence eating and sipping at their coffee. The only sounds were those of eating and the occasional sniffle from Merry. Eventually, Jack stopped shoveling food into his mouth and looked to Merry expectantly.

"I'm too tired to try to organize things today. So, it's up to you if you want to do something." she said, not looking up from her magazine.
"How about you go take a nap, give me a key, and I'll go see how long before I can move into my place."

Merrideth nodded, and yawned. Jack lifted her off her stool and, amidst her protests, carried her to the couch. Once he laid her down, he found the blanket and tucked her in before she could protest.

...to be continued...
© Copyright 2005 Pirate Kitty (piratekitty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/976078-Lost-and-Not-Yet-Found