*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/976360-Barbie--An-American-Image
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Essay · Other · #976360
This is an essay about the history of Barbie, which is more interesting than you think!
We all have a box of Barbies stashed away somewhere, right? Well, do you know the history of your favorite childhood doll? Invented in February of 1959 by Ruth Handler they were “introduced at the American Toy Fair in New York City.” They were made to be a teen fashion doll, but ended up being more of a toy for young girls, and received as much criticism as they did compliments. For instance, Barbie’s measurements are impossible: 36-18-38, and she was once thought of as a sex symbol with her womanly body and so called “sensual” face. These dolls, however, also taught young girls of America about relationships (Ken - 1961 “Named after Ruth’s son”) and that you can be whatever you want to be.
In the beginning, you were supposed to create Barbie’s personality with a wide variety of clothes and accessories, but she began to have an image all her own. Competitors like Jem couldn’t even begin to compare with Barbie because Barbie’s name and image was stuck in the memory of America. And to think that Mattel wasn’t going to take the idea because they thought that male dolls and female dolls with womanly figures wouldn’t sell! Mattel tried to rid Barbie of her bad image towards some people by putting Midge (1963), Barbie’s best friend, and Skipper (1964), Barbie’s little sister, on the shelves. They had less “sensual” faces, like Midge who had freckles and a fuller face that was “less intimidating.”
“Life Lessons From Barbie
1. Family is Fundamental
2. Many Girls have the same name, but you can still be an individual
3. A shortage of Men won't ruin the party: women have superior social etiquette and important galas don't require men in attendance
4. Alternative Lifestyles Acceptable
5. It's Cool to Have Many Careers
6. You Can Have love and work at the same time
7. Dysfunction and Deformity are a part of life
8. War is hell
9. All homeless must be sheltered
10. Monogamy can work (Shapiro 84)”

Think back to when you were young, what would life have been without that special doll? Okay, you could live, but Barbie has also sparked some new dolls today, like My Scene, Bratz, and more. Barbie has influenced America in many ways, and is the doll image for America as well. Kudos to Ruth Handler for bringing this fun-loving idol of a doll into this world. Where would we be without her?
© Copyright 2005 luvreading3959 (puffilypuffin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/976360-Barbie--An-American-Image