*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/976468-Dr-Wilcox
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #976468
A lab experiment goes awry...
Dr. Wilcox rushed to the elevator, and punched the button for the third basement. The express elevator took him there in less than thirty seconds. Stepping out into the dank research room, Dr. Wilcox put on a breathing mask as he coursed through the stacks of books, the clutter of desks, and the piles of research equipment. Finally he arrived to a door. Removing his key card, he swiped it.
The door automatically opened.
Dr. Wilcox walked into the decontamination room. It was small, cramped, and dark. The decontamination automatically started after he stood still for fifteen seconds. Once the process was complete, the inside doors of the decontamination room opened and Dr. Wilcox entered.
This room, in contrast with the basement just beyond a couple of doors, was brightly lit and well organized. Wilcox removed his breathing mask.
“You rang?” the doctor inquired as he stepped up to his desk.
“Yes, doctor, we are prepared to begin the transplant now, if it is alright.” The assistant engineer informed. “We need you here for the procedure.”
“Ok, you may proceed when ready.” Wilcox glanced around the room, for the first time. There were two assistant engineers, the head engineer, and a lab technician. On a table in the middle of the room was a woman’s body. She was a gorgeous woman, and before she was drugged, she talked very fast. About fifteen feet from the woman was another table, this table held the body of a young man. He, likewise, was gorgeous, but he didn’t speak much, even before he was drugged. The two unconscious test subjects were to be paid handsomely if this proceeded, they had signed waivers, just in case the procedure failed and had detrimental effects.
The lead engineer flipped a few switches and began to countdown from ten.
“Ten” the two assistant lab techs fastened harnesses on the subject’s heads.
“Nine, Eight” The lab technician checked for probably the fifteenth time if the cords were firmly attached to their power source.
“Seven, Six” the power source began to whir.
“Five, Four” the power source’s incessant whine was getting louder.
“Three, Two” The two engineers flipped a couple of switches on the subjects’ head gear.
“One…POWER ON!” The room lights flickered for a moment. The power source was screeching now. After a few seconds, sparks and bolts of electricity were flashing across the room.
A few more seconds later and the lights went out. A scream was heard across the room. Dr. Wilcox took cover under his desk.
The screeching power source reached a pitch that could not be heard by human ears. Then, it erupted into a massive ball of flame, sparks, and electrical bolts. One bolt hit the head engineer right on the bridge of his nose, he fell to the ground. Shards of various materials flew around the room.
The room’s automated fire defense turned on, and attempted to put out the fire. The electricity traveled right through the water/foam mixture and perhaps became even more potent.
After the smoke had cleared, Dr. Wilcox came out from under his desk. What he saw horrified him. The lab was a mess. The head engineer was limp on the floor. Wilcox checked for his pulse…He had no pulse.
One of the assistant engineers was scorched beyond recognition. The other looked as if thousands of shards of glass and metal traveled straight through him. The lab technician was convulsing on the floor in the corner. Wilcox watched, horrified, as a large save, which had been precariously perched above another safe, fell and landed on him.
Of the two subjects, the man’s body was covered in lacerations and burn marks. Wilcox checked for his pulse…He was dead as well.
In the middle of the room, the woman’s body remained seemingly untouched. Wilcox walked over towards her.
When he was about four feet away, she woke up and tore off her headgear. She didn’t say anything.
“How are you feeling Samantha?” Wilcox asked her. She looked around confused. Then, she looked down at her body and fainted.
Wilcox took her out of the smoldering remains of the lab. The inner door of the decontamination room was blown open, but the outer door opened just fine.
The rest of the hospital didn’t seem to even know anything happened down in the basement. The walls were sound proof, flame proof, and extremely well insulated, so no heat or electricity could escape.
About ten minutes later, Samantha regained consciousness. “Dude, where am I?” She asked.
“I’ll explain everything in a minute Sam.” Wilcox assured her.
“Dude, I am not Samantha, I am Todd.”
“You must be delusional, tell me, what is you’re phone number.” Todd’s phone number was the only thing Wilcox remembered about Todd.
“555-3821”
“Oh.” Wilcox would not be able to explain everything.
© Copyright 2005 TheDude (flatworld at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/976468-Dr-Wilcox