*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/977283-Dehumanized
by pmjg23
Rated: E · Poetry · Political · #977283
Discusses one of our larger failure in society, our growing homeless communities.
Doors shut close, bell tolls. As I twist in my seat attempting to find a comfortable position I hear the beginning of an old tune sung every morning on my way to work.

“Jesus love me, oh yes he does” the man belts out, over and over again until he reaches “For the bible tells me so”. As he continues his way through the car you can see everyone’s physical expression change. Smiles turn to grimaces. Good posture turns into slouches. Faces at attention, look down. The best and worst of all the wide-awake mysteriously fall into slumber.

“Jesus loves me, oh yes he does” gets closer to my destination on this box of steel, with metal wheels spinning to the rhythm that holds us all that stir within captive everyday for the few minutes that pass until the next stop.

You can feel the perspiration forming on your back. You can smell the disgrace that lingers form everyone except the one belting out as sweetly as he once smelled.
“Jesus love me, oh yes he does, for the bible tells me so”. Goes on for what seems like days. This being which to many on this morning that reminds me of many from the past and unfortunately probably will be revisited in the future, represents what they have already become. Dehumanized!!!

Stripped of their compassion, lost is their ability to want to help, worse they don’t care enough to even look his way. So does he love him? Does he love any of us on this most rancid of scenes taking place somewhere between Canal and Prince?

The stench coming form one of his creatures is rising to the heavens reminding us all how animalistic we are at the core? When stripped down of our power suits and cleansed from the detergent and aftershave lotion that separates our stench from our descendents.

Who lies in their own juices, this preacher with nothing to lose, or the congregation sitting in this boxed chapel with no spare change for their souls!!
© Copyright 2005 pmjg23 (pmjg23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/977283-Dehumanized