*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/980807-Darkness
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #980807
A story of love and loss at the creation of the universe.
Darkness

Long ago before there was such a thing as existence there was only Darkness and Light. These two entities watched over the void that would be known as the universe. Darkness existed long before Light, and when Light appeared it was confused and afraid of the place it had came to. At first it stumbled across the void until it came upon Darkness.

Darkness watched as Light approached and flinched at the onset of it's beauty, but was hurt by the light that it shown. He considered as it came up to him with a questioning air to just tell it to be gone, but was compelled to do the opposite. Instead, due to his great longing for companionship, told Light to draw closer and that he would explain to her the things she was so unsure of.

As Darkness began to explain to Light those things she wished to know, Light's aura began to grow brighter and brighter over time, bringing Darkness more and more pain. Darkness also noticed that as Light grew in strength he began to weaken. Many times did Darkness consider telling her to leave, but Light was no longer some frightened child, but that of his partner and he couldn't think of what existence would be like if he was forced to give her up.

Light, not being the entity she had been before, began to notice that as she grew stronger Darkness grew weaker and was hurt to see her mentor and love being hurt by her own being, so she decided that she would do the logical thing and leave Darkness so he would no longer be caused pain and would be allowed to take back his rightful place in the heavens.

So, while Darkness slept, Light pulled out from underneath his arm and began to make her journey back to where she had come from. Just before she left sight of him, she knelt down and placed an orb down upon the darkness of the void. Below it she left a letter:

"Through the eyes that you have helped me develop I now see that my staying here with you has caused you much pain and grief and though my love for you has never faded I am forced to give you up in the hopes that I may spare your life.

When you look at this orb, remember our love and remember that no matter where you are I will be there watching over you with the same caring and longing eyes I have always reserved for you."


As she stood and looked over to where her love lay sleeping, tears began to flow down her face and onto the blackened void leaving small diamond-like pinpoints of light. She then turned away and ran as fast as she could in the opposite direction, leaving a small trail of tears as she ran.

When Darkness awoke to find his love not resting beneath his arm he was panic stricken. He searched frantically everywhere he could until he found the orb with the letter tucked underneath it. He carefully lifted the orb and removed the letter that it sat on. Anger rose within him like he had never felt before, but angry as he got, he knew that if he chose to stay with her he would more than likely meet his demise, and so he crumpled the letter within his hand as hard as he could and dropped it to the void.

He picked up the orb and held it close to his chest as the pain of loss washed over him. As he looked into the distance he could see a light in the darkness, sitting there as if though watching him from across the black void, her tears the only thing visible amongst the backdrop of night.
© Copyright 2005 The Shawnshank Redemption (gurusariff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/980807-Darkness