*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/980840-Wanted-Dead-or-Alive
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Western · #980840
This is an experience I had while working as a stuntman in a Wild West Show, please enjoy.
The three desperados which made up myself and two others came upon the town of Union Pass. We came to this town looking to have a little fun and maybe score a little bounty from the local bank. It was a small desolite town not very close to any other civilization. It consisted of the saloon, bank, country store, and the Sheriff's office.

When we arrived we thought we would liven up this sleepy little town and began to fire our guns into the air, and whooping and hollering. We also wanted to see what the local law was like around these parts. Only after firing a few shots in the air, the sheriff's deputy came out. He wasn't a very large man, was somewhat of a runt. He had told us to put away our guns and to keep the noise down. I happened to look toward the Shriff's office to catch a glimpse of the Sheriff looking out the window to see how things were being handled.

I told the boys to put their guns away, as I did mine. The fear on the man's face was very noticeable, and I gave him a little sneer to let him know that I was aware of his fear. I glanced over at the jail to see the sheriff walk away from the window. I looked at the others who were shifting restlessly back and forth, with grins on their faces. "What are we gonna do for fun now?" one of them asked. I looked at them them and smiled and said "I think I have an idea." The three of us surrounded the young man, who was visibly shaking by this point, the perspiration was streaming down his face.

He pulled his gun out only to have it knocked away by one of the others, I looked at him and said "you shouldn't have done that." At that time I gave him a backhand across his face that sent him sprawling to the ground. I told the others to help him get to his feet, they hoisted him up one on each side and held him. I walked over with arrogance smiling at the young man, I punched him in the gut, and then again. He doubled over in pain. His stunned body went limp from pain, and exhaustion. "Let's go get a drink in the saloon boys" I said.

After a minute the young deputy pulled himself up on a hitching post, and staggered back to the jail. A few minutes later the sheriff came out with the deputy in tow. The sheriff stood outside the saloon and in a boisterous voice called out to us to come out. We ignored him, he called out again and said "don't make me come on there and get you." After a brief pause we came out, walking proud and arrogant. I asked the sheriff what the problem was. The deputy screamed out "that's the one sheriff, that's the one." The sheriff looked at me and said "I know who you boys are, I have warrants for all three of you, but my deputy wants to settle a score with you." As he pointed to me. I couldn't help but laugh at what I was just told.

The sheriff had his deputy and me face each other about twenty feet apart. The young deputy was perspiring quite a bit, and squinting in the hot noon sun. I opened my long coat to reveal my nickel plated revolver at my side. My fingers began to tingle as I knew what was coming, I heard one of the others say "hey Doc here's a chance to add another Ace to your deck of cards." As I added an Ace for each man I shot and killed. I just smiled and stood with ready anticipation for the young man to make his move. I watched the deputy shift his foot ever so slightly, then his elbow twitched, two signs I've noticed that he was going for his gun. He went for his gun, and in a brief instant I had drawn mine and fired. He was too late as the burnt black powder smell filled my nose I watched his lifeless body slump to the ground.

At this time the two others with me drew their guns on the sheriff and fired, the sheriff already aware was returning fire. I made a haste exit, to get to higher ground for an advantage. While going through the building to head to the roof I heard many shots being fired. Then all was quiet, I thought to myself is he dead, did we win? I made it up to the roof, and peered over the edge to see the other two outlaws laying dead in the street, with the sheriif standing with his back to me. I stood up pointed my gun out at the sheriff, and cocked back the hammer. I knew he heard me, he slightly turned his head in my direction, but did not turn around. "Hey sheriff, looks like I got the drop on you." The sheriff just slightly shook his head in defiance " you know Doc you better come down before I have to bring you down." I laughed at his remark "I really don't think that's gonna happen." I pulled the trigger and the gun made a click, it was empty. I went for the second gun in my belt, at the moment the sheriff turned around to face me. What I saw was not expected he had gone and grabbed Betsy his double barrel shotgun. As I went for my other gun, in a brilliant flash, and a thunderous clap he emptied that shotgun into me. I fell back from the fatal wound.

After the dust and smoke had cleared. The sheriff was left standing tall and defiant, showing again that the good guys win in the end.
© Copyright 2005 DocBlack (wolf22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/980840-Wanted-Dead-or-Alive