*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/982541-Amih-Amih
Rated: 13+ · Other · War · #982541
A Medical Services Cadet experiences a second world while posted at a war torn island.
?Red ones to the right, green ones to the left?. These were the first words I heard after three days of tiring journey to the ?Indira group of Islands?. Our instructor lead us through the smoldering ruins of what was supposed to be a dock. I was a cadet of the Volunteer Medical Services which was named ?The Green Squad?. Besides us, there was the red squad which consisted of armed P.I.A (Paramilitary Indian Army) cadets.
An emergency had been declared. The L.T.T terrorists had declared open rebellion in this remote part of the Indian Territory. They had plundered every construction and slaughtered every living soul that came their way. Now the situation was temporarily under control but tension still prevailed and the possibility of another outburst couldn?t be ruled out. I proceeded to the wooden platform where we were supposed to board army trucks that were to take us to the temporary medical base. I had no friends in this squad. My squad was changed under last minute changes. The truck took about half an hour to reach the base. I could clearly see the havoc that had been unleashed on this land. Corpses of civilians and soldiers had been stripped naked and hung mercilessly on tree branches. By the time I reached the base, I was terribly upset. What was this land? Even the devils of hell would tremble at this sight. The camp chief asked us to proceed to the mess for a meal. Then, we were to visit a village which was still aloof of medical aid. Everywhere around, were wounded soldiers and civilians screaming with pain. I didn?t feel like eating. So, I went into the main ward. I could see badly mutilated bodies of children and women. Strangely enough, there were very few males.
?You sir! Please come over and help me with this?, a senior medical called for me. ?Sure sir?, I replied and hurried over. He was treating a wounded P.I.A cadet. This one was of nearly my age and his left leg had been partly mutilated. He was screaming with pain. ?Give him a morphine injection?, the officer said trying to clean the wound. ?The poor fellow stepped on a mine?. I was about to inject the liquid when the officer held my hand. He thought for a moment. ?Let?s not waste this on him. I don?t think he will survive?. His eyes were stone cold. ?Lets proceed?. ?But sir, we can?t leave him this way?, I pleaded. For the first time, he looked straight into my eyes. ?Do we have a second option? This is out of the last stock of painkillers and the fresh one won?t arrive till next week?. His reply was even colder than his look. I proceeded with him to the next bed. ?Sir, how come there are such few males in this ward?? I questioned. He nodded and said, ?Most of them don?t make it till here. There are plenty of them in the mortuary. You can go have a look?. He grinned. His grin was merciless.
I asked his permission and left the ward. I approached the patient admittance centre. There was a long queue of people. A young native approached me and fell to my feet. ? Sir,? Sir, please save my wife. She is four months pregnant and?and she is dying. Please help her. She has been poisoned.? I decided to have a look. He lead me to a corner, where, in a heap, lay his wife. She was semi-conscious and screaming with abdominal pain. I sat down to examine her. I checked her pulse. The poison had taken over her. ?What kind of poison was it ?? , I questioned her husband. ?I do not know sir but she drank the lake water poisoned by those blastid rebels. A hundred curses on them?. ?Oh I see?, I tried to act normal. We had been informed about this. I gave her the antidote. Then I checked her womb. ? Sir, I am sorry. But I suspect the baby is no more?. He closed his eyes in remorse. Then he asked, ? And what about her??. ?Can?t say. If she gains consciousness in the next 2 hours, she shall be saved. Then I left. Only a few moments ago, I was in no mood to see any more patients. And now, I felt big. I felt as if I was a great soul, healing people and making them feel grateful. I returned to the main ward.
?Amih?.. Amih?. A young girl was huddled up just next to the entrance. She wasn?t wounded?I guess. She was wearing the traditional tribe outfit. She was dirty but not hurt. Still she was panicking. Her face was so tender, so young, so?.. so innocent. I felt like kissing her cheeks. But then I focused on her eyes. Full of tears. There was boundless fear in them. She must be traumatized. I was suddenly overtaken with a strong desire to sooth her. ?Patri Amoda (Hello there)? I mumbled in the local language. I was trying to be friendly. ? Are you hungry?. She wasn?t listening. ?Amih?Slastrek Amih ( Amih?.. I want Amih)?. I understood it perfectly?except for that word ?Amih?. ?I guess you are hungry. Here..?. I took out a chocolate from my pocket and handed it over to her. She snatched it from my hand and ran away. ?That settles it?..I guess?. I was content.
?Cadet, time to go?. An army personnel was calling for me. I figured out he was the camp commander. ? Right away sir?. I ran over to him. I was still doubtful. ?Excuse me sir, but what does ?Amih? mean? I questioned him. ?Heh.Heh.Heh? What is it cadet ? Already missing your mom? Yeah that?s what it means. Mother dear. Or what you civilians call that? Mommyji ! Right? Heh Heh. Now get your ass in the truck. You are supposed to depart in a few minutes?. I felt hollow. Oh God. I advanced in the direction in which the girl had declined a few moments ago. Ah! There she was. She was sitting next to a lady lying on the ground. She was holding the chocolate to her lips. I went closer. She ignored me. She was probably her mother. I examined the lady. She was dead. Cold as snow. Her skin was dry as dead leaves and blue as venom. She was nothing more than a rotting corpse. The girl was smiling. ? Rao Amih. Amih rao(Eat mother. Mother eat). I felt helpless. My enthusiasm was gone. I got up and headed for the army truck.
© Copyright 2005 jassi's (boyzone_vicky at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/982541-Amih-Amih