*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983635-A-mothers-Pain
Rated: E · Short Story · Writing.Com · #983635
You never know what life will throw at you. See reality through the eyes of a mother.
Jimmy's room seemed so dark, so empty, despite being filled with all of Jimmy's belongings, today felt different. Jimmy's mom couldn't explain it, things were different now. She could turn on every light, but her boy's room would be shaded in darkness. Nothing could make things seem better, nothing could take things back.

It was only yesterday she seemed so happy, so alive. Now the only thing Jimmy's mother knew to do was sit on his bed and cry. She looked at the pictures on his desk, Jimmy, with a smile on his face, standing there proudly next to his father and grandfather. Two generations of firefighters soon to be three. Now that he had graduated from the fire academy he would follow in the family footsteps. Jimmy was just weeks away from becoming a hero, something he talked about, something she just knew he wanted all his life.

But how? How after he was so close, could it all be thrown away? By one mistake, a foolish impulse. Its hard being a mother wanting the best for your children, believing in them, but not being able to do more. She sacrificed so much, paying his way through school. "You never think this kind of thing will happen to you." She couldn't help but think it, how could she not replay the horrible news she'd received in her head. She knew it was childish to think it, but if only she could only close her eyes and make everything go back to normal.

"I thought you'd be here" her husband's voice came through the half opened door.

"Phone call, its him"

She froze. Her mind went blank, she had no idea what to say, to any one, especially him. This was a conversation she had dreaded ever since she found out. She rose to her feet and walked to the door. Her husband looked her in the eyes and with a half smile said.

"Just listen"

He handed her the phone. Jimmy's mom took a deep breath and with a troubled voice she spoke.

"Hello?"

"Mom listen I'm sorry, I know your upset, but this is never what I wanted. I was never happy at the fire academy. I want something else for my life. It's not the end of the world mom, its just not what you expected."
© Copyright 2005 goldglove (goldglove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983635-A-mothers-Pain