*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/984501-Future-Endeavors
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Contest · #984501
"The only constant is change."
It had been a long ordeal for Sean.

Unhappy, that's what he was. And he didn't know why. He'd tried to be like the others in school, but somehow he just didn't fit in. He often wondered: why not? He rode the same bus, wore the same clothes, listened to the same tunes.

What was the difference?

He recalled that at home, too, he'd felt alien. He'd tried to figure it out. At home, they'd talked about "teenage" as being a part of "life." It was clear that they really didn't understand at all; it made him feel nauseous.
Sure, THEY were all perfect. Never made a mistake. Always had the answer. And rules. Too many rules.

He'd just wanted to belong...

A soft voice came over the intercom, interrupting his reverie.

"Sean, time to unify."

Dutifully, Sean responded to the message he himself had computer-generated to sound like Catherine Zeta-Jones. He made his way to the unification room. There he saw his creations: the "father" unit and the "mother" unit.
It was unfortunate that his biological parents had shunned him, he reflected, but he had ultimately replaced them. He'd created far superior ones.

The only drawback he could see was the annoying process of reprogramming the robots every night. But in time, he would figure out a simpler way.
© Copyright 2005 gingerosa (gingerosa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/984501-Future-Endeavors