*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/985173-Far-Away-Nearby-Part-Three
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bishop
Rated: E · Fiction · Fanfiction · #985173
The ongoing potential story of characters from the TV show "Lost."
Charlie softly played his guitar, as those also living in the cave were lulled to sleep by the music and the gentle sounds of the small waterfall.

He became so focused on the guitar strings, that at first he did not notice the touch across the back of his neck.
But then, when he looked up, he saw her. He saw Claire.

"Do you have a name for this song yet?" Claire asked.

"Uh...can't decide yet." Charlie nervously replied. "I've got it narrowed down to either 'Ode to a Turniphead' or 'Pick a title and just enjoy this.'"

Claire smiled, as she continued to rub the back of Charlie's neck.

With an audible gulp, Charlie asked, "What's...um...what's with the neck rub?"

Claire sat down next to Charlie, wordlessly looking at him, and with a smile.

And as she scanned his eyes, mentally searching for the words, she finally replied, "You've been a real dear to me these past weeks. What with all that's been going on, you've still helped me. You've helped with the baby, and with so much. Most guys, in even normal circumstances would go running from a pregneant woman. But you've stayed by me, you've not been just focused on yourself. And with Aaron needing so much, and me so new at this, it's been great having you help out. I mean, I never had to come to you, you've always volunteered. And, well, I guess a neck rub is the least I can give back."

Charlie did not know how to respond, nor react. Every pore in his body wanted to just use this perfect moment to tell Claire how much he felt toward her. To tell her that being able to have someone like Claire and Aaron to focus on, helped to keep him clean, to stay clean, completely feel fine without a bump.
And the more he thought about it, the more intense the feelings became. To the point where, without saying a word, he simply reached up with his hand, pulled her toward him, and kissed her.

The flood of emotion flowed through that kiss, which he felt being returned with equal volume.
For an eternity, yet not long enough, they parted, and just looked at each other.

For several long moments they said nothing. They just looked at each other.
Then, with a slight smirk, Claire broke the silence with, "Well, that sure beat my neck rub."

And once the silence was broken, Charlie could not shut up. He told her everything. Like the first moment he ever felt anything romantic at all toward her. Like how he loved that faraway look she got when she was deep in thought. Like how every time he saw her trying to console Aaron he just wanted to run over and be of some help. Like how for the first time since they arrived on the island, he had become so inspired by song, just by thinking about her.

Finally, about ten or so examples into his rant, Claire put her finger to his mouth, and simply said, "I knew. I think I've always known, Charlie."

"And, when we finally get off this bloody island, I want to still be there for you, Claire. You and Turn...uh, you and Aaron" He said. "I mean it. I really do."

Claire just smiled and said, "You better be."

They shared a laugh, then Charlie began to play Claire a song. Without even giving any thought to what the next chord would be, or what the lines would be, Charlie just played.

He played just for her. He played what he said was called "Forever My Claire."

Then once the song ended, Claire whispered "Thank you." And they kissed once again.

This time, it lingered for a long...long...long time. Everything else around them jsut melted away. Nothing existed in that moment, except them.

But then, when Charlie opened his eyes, he found that Claire was not beside him any longer.
He glanced over, and with disappointment, realized that he had only been dreaming.

With a smile, he took comfort that at least in his dreams, he had everything he wanted.

So Charlie once again softly played his guitar.

Rolling over, Claire slowly opened her eyes. And was disappointed to find that she had been dreaming. It was such a beautiful dream. As she looked over at Charlie softly playing his guitar, she thought about her dream. A dream that had an amazing kiss, and a wonderful serenade by Charlie. A seranade of a song he made just for her.
And with a warm smile she whispered the song's name out loud. "Forever My Claire."

TO BE CONTINUED

© Copyright 2005 Bishop (trustno1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/985173-Far-Away-Nearby-Part-Three