*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/987847-Earth-Marriage
by void
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Relationship · #987847
This came out while I was thinking happy thoughts. I didn't want to forget it.
         The night air was cool but refreshing as Lisa stepped from the tent where she’d been preparing. It truly was a night for lovers, with a star dotted sky, and a full moon hanging high in the heavens. She smiled as she felt warm sand beneath her bare feet and lifted her billowing skirts, not wanting to stain the beautiful white with sand just yet. The orchestra had not yet begun to play, but the others were assembling by the first trellis, and she knew that it wouldn’t be long. She didn’t need to check herself in a mirror again as she stepped carefully, feeling confident and excited. She’d spent much of the day preparing for this moment, making sure that every hair was in place, and everything about her radiated beauty. She truly was lovely in her white gown, trimmed with light green lace that swept perfectly in a unique leafy design. Her hair was pulled up, but curly tendrils fell down, framing her face. The flowers in her hair were the same shades as her dress, making her look the vision of a lovely earth bride.
         Which was exactly what she was. She wore no shoes, and smiled when she noticed that her wedding party was barefoot as well. Since everyone was outdoors with nothing beneath their toes but warm sand and cool grass, she’d requested that all guests come without shoes. It was a small token, a reminder that the marriage between her and her love would always be earthly and pure. Lisa’s heart jumped to her throat when the orchestra started to play a lovely string number. It was one of her favorite classical songs, and the sound of the nearby ocean rolled perfectly with every note.
         One by one, the bridesmaids and groomsmen made their way down the isle, smiling at everyone who sat at the nearby tables. The reception was immediately following the ceremony, sparing everyone involved the hours of waiting in hunger. And it was just as well, because Lisa had always wanted to be married at night, for it was when she felt most alive.
         At last it was her turn, and Lisa took a deep breath of the cool night air before turning the short corner and passing beneath the first trellis. The music had shifted. It was still a soft classical song, but it was somehow more romantic. Lisa looked around to see hundreds of smiling faces, none of which mattered more that the one that stood beneath another trellis at the end of the aisle. She stepped forward, and was joined by her mother and her father, who each took one of her hands to escort her to her future.

         Jim had never seen true beauty until he looked at the young woman in the white and green dress. He could scarcely believe that she was walking towards him to vow her eternal and undying love to him. He could feel the tears of happiness welling behind his eyes, and everything else was gone. Lisa was the only person in sight.
         He’d hardly been able to sit still all day, he was so excited. He’d put his shoes on the wrong feet, forgotten how to tie his tie, and been unable to properly fix his hair. He was thankful that he had his friends and his brothers there to help him, otherwise he would have been a complete wreck. As he was, Jim had to admit that he didn’t look half bad. His suit was black, a sharp contrast to the creamy white of Lisa’s dress, but the light green in his tie and vest made up for it. Like everyone else, his feet were bare, but he didn’t seem to mind it. He stood tall and proud, trying not to look as nervous as he felt.
         His heart was pounding as his bride finally came to a stop, only a few feet from him. Her parents held onto her hands for a moment, but when they were finally able to let go, she extended a soft hand to meet his.
         “On this night for lovers, be joyous as the earth crystallizes your love.” There were tears in the eyes of Jim’s mother as the Judge who was performing the ceremony asked everyone to join hands with the people nearest them. Lisa looked deep into Jim’s eyes, and for a moment all her words were gone. She took a deep breath before beginning.
         “The harmony of this night is a symbol of my love,” she began, “and a sign of happy times to come. With you, I will share every happy day of my life.”
         Jim was almost too caught up in Lisa’s eyes to remember that it was his turn to speak.
         “Together we have stood through many moons. Tonight, this moon is the last that we will spend as two, and now shall be one.” The vows were original, but strange, with an earthly element. The couple had opted for a non-religious wedding, much to the dismay of several family members, but was the moonshine glowed down, everyone agreed that this was a perfect night.
         “Elisabeth, do you promise that James is the love of your dreams, and you will forever cherish him through heart and soul?” The Judge’s words rang through the clear night.
         “I do.” She replied quietly.
         “James, do you recognize Elisabeth as the sunshine of your heart, and know that forever your souls will be connected as one?”
         “I do.” A lonely tear slid down Lisa’s face. It was a tear of happiness and joy, and Jim wanted nothing more than to step forward and kiss it away.
         “Then on this night for lovers, I beg you to let the earth combine you forever.” Jim remembered the words as a signal of sorts, and leaned forward to press his lips against the lips of his new wife. The electricity that flowed through their bodies was pure magic, and it was hard to believe that it was only felt by them.
         “Go with love.”

© Copyright 2005 void (void at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/987847-Earth-Marriage