*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/988211-Trusting-the-process
Rated: E · Article · Arts · #988211
Being creative, means taking that leap of faith, trusting the process and going for it.
Starting points are always tricky. There is always that quiet lull before you plunge into the icy waters of the blank page. Once one becomes accustomed to the temperature it is never so bad. When the words flow, it can be like a warm bath. Dry up, and one can glide listlessly down the snowy slope, like a skier with no rudder.

I like to improvise. I am addicted to that split second when you lurch forward as an actor into the abyss without a thought in your head, but the words come as if they had been scripted and rehearsed.
Without the nerves, there is no adrenalin. Too prescribed, and it can be boring.
This brings me to my point. Homework! If the foundations are solid, the rest will follow. That goes for research, and relationships.
Background work is like maintaing a golf course. It may look like the green keepers are drinking tea on the day of the Open, but the only reason the quality of the game can be so good, is because the hardwork has been done.
Writing, art or music are the same. One would not expect to play like Debussey without having practiced a few scales.

So, if, or should I say when, the muse has gone walkabout, keep pounding down that nail.
Take a deep breath, walk the plank and enjoy the swim!

Playbacker
© Copyright 2005 Playbacker (playbacker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/988211-Trusting-the-process