*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/988310-The-Sentinel
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #988310
A scary story of 200 words
The Sentinel




It is never pleasant to come upon the dead in a lonely place at midnight.

The watchman felt the hair stand on the nape of his neck as he stared at the corpse sprawled upon the polished floor before him.

This part of the museum was alight with candles in niches along the walls. Great tapestries were hung between figures of curious gods carved of ancient stone that reflected dimly on the gleaming black mahogany floor.

Bracing his wavering courage, he examined the body. The dead man’s head sagged on broken vertebrae, and his throat had been crushed to a pulp of purplish flesh.

There was a movement to his right, and a leg made of solid stone savagely kicked him in the belly and dropped him gagging for air.

His eyes tried to focus on his assailant as another kick landed in his mouth. He screamed through a ruin of splintered teeth, blowing bloody froth from his mangled lips.

The heavy steps of the stone sentinel moved before him, and with inhuman strength, it lifted him up by the neck from the floor. With eyes glittering like gems, the god crushed the watchman, then slowly returned to its pedestal.

© Copyright 2005 W.D.Wilcox (billywilcox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/988310-The-Sentinel