*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/993335-Rise-and-fall-of-a-rock-star
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #993335
Welcome to the first story in a series about the Dream Cafe. Redemtion awaits you....
The full moon lighted the night sky as the black Mustang sped along the river. The Rivers official name was Benedict. The people of the city however called it the River Sorrow. It ran along the warehouse district of the city. It got its name because this stretch of road was a place where many came to think about their problems. Consequently many people over the years had committed suicide along these shores. If ever there was a place full of ghost it was this place.

Marcus had come here to think about his past, his life. He missed his best friend and drummer who died in a drug overdose just a few months ago. Tears welled up in his eyes. He decided that it was time to leave this cold and unyielding existence. Maybe just maybe his death might mean more than his failed life.

At that moment he spotted a diner. The diner looked like it was from the 50's and the large neon sign said it was called Dream cafe. He been down here a hundred times and never seen this place before. Curious he drove up to it and parked. This place seemed like something out of a dream. The inside was bright and inviting. Like the outside it was decorated in 50's memorabilia with small juke boxes at all the tables. He went up to the counter where a heavier set gentleman was wiping down the ice cream machine. Hello the man said he had a deep, but non-intimadateting voice.
"Hi seems kind of slow."
"Well, your the first customer of the night but believe me it gets pretty busy in here every night. Names Gabriel," Gabriel extended his hand and the stranger took it.
"Well, its nice to meet you names Marcus, Marcus Feldman." He could tell by Gabriel's eyes that he did not recognize the name in a way it was refreshing. They broke from their firm friendly handshake and Marcus reached into his leather coat and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and lit a cigarette.
"I know a bad habit they say these things will kill you but it calms the nerves know what I mean." Gabriel let out a laugh and handed Marcus an ashtray.
"There are worst things that can kill you." He looked at Marcus, and Marcus knew that this man knew about him wanting to kill himself, he knew everything! Of course that was a stupid thought.

At that moment a car pulled up and out of it stepped two men who looked very familiar. The first guy who came in was average height dark brown hair, slim with a dark sleeveless T-shirt and a cigarette hanging out from his mouth. His companion had black hair, black pants and
a blue flannel shirt. They sat at one of the big tables like they were expecting more people to join them.
"Hello Aaron, James the usual?" ask Gabriel as he went over to the coffee pot.
"Your wonderful Gabriel thank you very much said Aaron with a heavy Tennessee accent. A young waitress in a poodle skirt took the coffee to the men at the booth. Marcus looked at the two men and was impressed these two looked and even sounded like the real people who they looked like. It was obvious that this place was pretty special. Others began to come into the cafe and just like Gabriel had said it was getting busy very quickly. A beautiful blonde in a white dress who Gabriel called Norma took a seat next to Aaron in the booth. With the cafe filling up more help appeared from the back to take care of business. Gabriel came back Marcus and asked him if he wanted some food he bragged about how good the house burger was and it did look good so Marcus ordered it.

" I like to get to know my customers tell me about yourself. What do you do for a living?"
"Ok I was a lead singer for a band called Inspiration. We were on our way to the top it was an incredible ride that Billy, that was my best friend and myself never would have dreamed possible. We started just him and me in my garage I'm sure my neighbors hated us. He smiled and took a drag of cigarette. The memories came back to him he had tried so hard to forget them.

One day while we were practicing a group of girls who were driving down our street stopped in to listen to us. They were all pretty cute but one of them really stood out. She was tall about 6'2'' red hair as bright as a strawberry which became her nickname. She walked right up to us with her friends sheepishly walking behind her.
"Hi my names Angelica she said and these are my friends Bridget, Sandy and Shelia we had to stop your voice is incredible." I was hooked as she smiled and shook my hand.

"I'm glad you like what you heard would you like to hear more?" Her and her friends smiled and said yes so we played a few of our songs. I don't think we sounded our best but they seemed to really enjoy it and after our second song Angelica ask me if we knew how to play “Lights” by Journey and the guys said of course so she grabbed the microphone from me. Her voice was awesome and after she finished the guys just looked at each other and they didn't have to say a word we all thought it "This girl has to be in our band." She did another song for us and I asked her if she wanted to join the group and she said nope, not unless her girls could be in as well they were a girl group but had been looking for something bigger. From that point on we were a band and in our first big gig we got discovered! Man I never thought it would be so much work you know you think its easy street once you get that deal but so far from the truth. Then once our first record came out it took off and none of us were prepared for the whirlwind that followed. Marcus took a long drag of his cigarette, I should have seen what was happening with Billy but I was so wrapped up in our sudden fame and Angelica and me had started dating as well. Gabriel went to the counter and got Marcus's order and placed it in front of him. "What happen with Billy?"

Marcus took a bite of his burger savored its taste it was good. Taking a long sip he continued his story. Billy was partying too much he loved the women he loved the alcohol but most of all he loved his drugs cocaine was his favorite. Maybe I knew and just didn't want to admit it. Hell we all felt as if we all could walk on water. Well, about a week before the start of our first world tour he overdosed! At the time I was in bed sleeping next to Angelica when I got the call. It was like time stood still I was told that my eyes glazed over and I feel to the floor holding the phone. I say I was told because I really don't remember the moment. Then the memory came, the sights the sounds everything came to him. Tears ran down his face and he pounded the counter with his fist. I- I should have been there stooped him I was his best friend.

"Sometimes a bird has to fly on its own. It wasn't your fault Billy was a grown man making his own choices what you need to think is would Billy want to see you like this thinking the thoughts you are. Billy didn't die in vain I promise and he placed a hand on Marcus and it was as if a tremendous weight was lifted from his shoulders. Just then the juke box came on and it was one of Marcus's songs called freedom Aaron said to his friends at the table that he liked this song it had heart. That made Marcus smile a bit Maybe your right Gabriel, maybe your right he took one last drag of his cigarette. What do I owe you Gabriel?
"Its on the house have a good night Marcus you will see I'm right." Marcus got up from the counter shook Gabriel's hand and thanked him and walked out the door. As he got in his car and drove off he thought for a second he saw out of the corner of his eye Billy walk in the cafe.

"They told him he been in a comma for weeks and that he was lucky to be alive after they found his car in the river. His recovery was long and hard and Angelica was there every step of it and they got married a year. Later and he smiled at her backstage as he got ready to accept his award for comeback artist of the year. He thought to himself Gabriel was right Billy's death had not been in vain a foundation had been created in his name to help new stars steer clear of drugs. He wondered though if it was all a dream because he was never able to find the dream cafe again.
© Copyright 2005 princevlad (princevlad609 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/993335-Rise-and-fall-of-a-rock-star