*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/994596-Death-Gamble
Rated: 18+ · Other · Death · #994596
A game of death with horrible consequences
“That-It couldn’t have just happened, right? It’s all just a joke?”

“Hmmm.”

“Dr Chen, this isn’t legal, it’s not allowed.”

“Nigel Williams, you know everything that could happen. The risks. You signed their contract, aware of the consequences. Your operation will be today afternoon.”

“It’s just not moral, we don’t do things like that in this country!”

“They given you ten thousand for your liver already. I told you not play twice. Now it is your heart and you want to back out? That is not honourable behaviour, Nigel Williams.”

“But Dr Chen, it’s my heart, how can I live without my heart?!”

“You will get hundred thousand for it. Enough to pay for your sister’s treatment and she can buy house, live comfortable life.”

“But I won’t be there afterwards, when she’s well. She’ll be heartbroken. Doctor, isn’t there any other way? Please, you’ve got to help me!”

“I’ll make sure your sister gets the money, Mr. Williams, do not worry about that.”

“How will she know I’m gone? Can I talk to her just one last time?”

“I’m sorry it is not possible. Your operation is for today afternoon.”

“Just an hour, I beg you,”

“They won’t allow that. People have tried to running away before. They always been caught and given death. But not before they kill their family.”

“Surely some have got away?”

“None. Please Nigel Williams, this is the easiest way. Don’t allow your sister to suffer anymore. They will not be give her an easy death.”

“Okay, okay. How will I explain my disappearance to her?”

“Your death will explain your disappearance to her. But you can write her a letter, if you want, explain great sacrifice you made to her. I will make sure she gets it.”

“She’ll be devastated. She’ll never forgive herself if she knew. No, I think it’s best if we arranged for it to look natural. Doc?”

“If you want, your death I can make to look like accident.”

“Yes, that instead please… Dr Chen, will it hurt? My operation I mean?”

“I will give you anesthetic. All the time, unconscious. When it is over, you will be dead.”

“Why did you get me involved in this? Why?”

“You want to know how to afford your sister’s treatment. I give you a way. Consider you lucky Nigel Williams, normally they don’t let white people into the game. It is just bad luck the dice landed on your heart. But rest assured, your sister will live rest of her life in comfort and peace.”

“Without me – I’ll be dead! Dead! Dead!”

“Mr. Williams, calm down. I leave you here for a few hours and then come back and collect you to the operation room. Here is some paper. Even if you are not writing to her, pretend, it will make it easier. Here is a Bible, I know you white people like to talk to God before you die.”

“Dr Chen…”

“In a few hours Nigel Williams, see you then.”


(500 words)
© Copyright 2005 EmeraldCastrol (emeraldcastrol at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/994596-Death-Gamble