*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/998252-A-Trench-Diary
Rated: ASR · Other · Other · #998252
I wrote this at school when we were studying the 1st world war.
A Trench Diary

4th January 1916

This is the first time I’ve ever written a diary. It’s not really a book, its more a few pieces of loose paper which I got off a friend. I suppose I should just write what happens and what I feel.

8th January 1916

It’s 7 0 clock in the morning. I’m exhausted because I was up all night keeping watch. Then at about six I was moved out of the front line trench, now I’m in the support trench. Most of the night was spent thinking about my fiancé Margaret and our unborn child. Luckily there wasn’t a night raid last night unlike the previous night. I wouldn’t have liked to be on watch that night. Nothing much happened while I was on watch. It gave me time to things through. I got to sleep at about 4 last night. Then at 6 I was woken up. My blanket was ripped off and I was told to get my things and move. I was in a such a daze I didn’t really know what was happening, it was only until I got to the support trenches that I realized what was going on.

2nd February 1916

Its 10 0 clock in the morning. I’ve been up for a few hours now. I’m ravenous. Breakfast was a mug of tea with condensed milk and some bread and margarine. I suppose I should be grateful. I’m starting to get used to the constant change in trenches every 4 days now. You get used to it after a while, being woken up before dawn and being dragged out of your bed to the other trench. It’s freezing out here. This morning my mug of tea iced over. I wish it would warm up. My friend died the other day. He was killed by trench fever. I was the one who had to tel his family. It was awful. The rats and lice are unbearable. I’m itching all over.

20th March 1916

Sometimes the days drag on forever, they never end. Sometimes life is so unbearable that I wish I was one of dead ones. At least then I wouldn’t have to suffer any more. I should really count myself lucky I’ve lived for this long. I wish I could go home.

28th March 1916

I’ve decided what to do. This will be my last diary entry. I want to tell my family and friends how much I love them and that I’m sorry.
© Copyright 2005 mousiebrowniecho (eriddell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/998252-A-Trench-Diary