*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/998996-Night-Adventures
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #998996
My entry for the Fireball 300
The rocks slid away, revealing an opening that was large enough for a large child to fit through as the remain rocks where cleared away from the entrance.

Jimmy shined his torch into the darkness. The cave opening seemed to swallow up the meagre beam as if to show that this was a place he should not enter. Glancing over his shoulder at the beautiful sunlight behind him, Jimmy took his first steps gingerly into the cave opening.

One step…two steps… then nothing. Falling down the shaft, he was too surprised to emit more that the first yell. It seemed like he was falling forever, but was only a few moments. The darkness surrounding was like a soft cocoon and he arrived at the bottom of the shaft and settled on a soft pocket of air that took the shock of the fall before gently placing him on a pebble strewn surface.

Jimmy’s torch did not survive the fall as well. Stretching his hands out around him he finally located piece by piece different parts of the torch. A tendril of fear started to wind its way up from his stomach and seemed to catch his breathe in his throat.

Noticing a small amount of emitting from a tunnel, Jimmy decided to continue his journey. One step… two steps… then nothing!

Jimmy sat up in his bed with mixed disappointment and elation. The dream always seemed to end with him falling down the shaft and then nothing. Finally he had seen the bottom of the shaft and a new adventure had begun.

Hopping out of bed, Jimmy raced downstairs to begin his day and looking forward to a new adventure when he went to sleep that night. Wondering where the tunnel would lead that night.
© Copyright 2005 Helen Aussie Writer/Editor (hdayman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/998996-Night-Adventures