*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/999457-Ghost-Child---Epilogue
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Onyx
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Drama · #999457
Nine year old Theresa has to make a decision whether to keep a family secret.
Epilogue


I’ve been living with just Daddy and me for a couple of months now. The trial ended last month. They caught Junior, but they’re still looking for Sir. The Mother and the Aunt were found guilty of all charges. They’re waiting to be sentenced. Daddy says it doesn’t matter how much time they get. He says that I never have to worry about them again. I think testifying was the hardest thing that I’ve ever had to do. But I know that I did the right thing.
Daddy got a job training other truck drivers at a school in our area. He makes a little less money, but he’s home for dinner every night now. I made a new friend at school. Her name is Kristin. We have so much fun together. She only lives a block away so most days I go to her house after school. We play until Daddy gets home.
Daddy does all of the cooking now. He says that I’m too young to have to worry about that kind of stuff. I should be out having fun. He’s not the best cook in the world. It is funny watching him try though. He groans about it sometimes, but I insist on at least helping out with the chores.
I still visit Ms. Thompson sometimes. Even though she won’t admit it I know she needs my help. Some weekends Kristin and I go over and we all bake cookies together. She just celebrated her sixtieth birthday. Daddy took us all out to dinner. It’s kind of weird how things worked out.
Last night when Daddy came in to say goodnight I was sitting in the corner in my chair. He got really concerned when he saw that my face was wet. I was crying silent tears.
“Baby what’s the matter?”
“Nothing Daddy.”
“Don’t tell me nothing Angel. You’re crying. Is there you need to tell me? Is it something I did? I thought you were getting more comfortable with me around. You don’t even jump when I touch you anymore.”
I giggled. I knew it wasn’t funny though. I guess I was just happy that he cared.
“Calm down Daddy. Nothing’s wrong. I was just sitting here thinking.”
“What were you thinking about that had you crying Angel?”
“I was just thinking that it’s over.”
“What’s over?”
“All of it. I don’t have to try to be perfect anymore. I don’t have to wish I were invisible. I don’t get in trouble anymore. I don’t run or cringe, because I love when you touch me. I don’t have to be scared around you anymore. I love you so much Daddy. You see you’re the reason that the ghost child is gone. I can finally just be me, Theresa Kimble.”
“I’m glad you feel that way baby. You’ll never know what hearing you say that means to me. But I still don’t understand the tears.”
“They’re happy tears Daddy. I mean I finally get it.
THIS IS WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE HAPPY!”
© Copyright 2005 Onyx (babydreads at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/999457-Ghost-Child---Epilogue