*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/999646-The-Mighty-Hunter
Rated: E · Fiction · Animal · #999646
In our hearts and dreams we are sometimes more than we appear to be.
The Mighty Hunter


‘The mighty hunter surveys its territory from on high; alert for interlopers, be they predator or prey.’

“Hey! How do I get down from here?”

***

‘The mighty hunter spots its prey. A small creature hiding in the shadow of the wall cowers in fear as the great beast pounces. Razor-sharp claws grip and rend, as it dispatches the victim with practiced ease.’

“Ummm, little help here? I think I got the ball stuck on my claw. It won’t come off! … It’s not funny! Help me! … Please?”

***

‘The mighty hunter’s powerful muscles, gliding like liquid, stretch and bunch, as the majestic creature shreds the bark of the ancient tree – a warning for those who would pass that a mighty hunter dwells here, no other may.’

“Whoooaa! Watch it with that water, will ya? Yeah, yeah. I know. Use the scratching post. That’s what it’s there for. Yadda, yadda.”

***

‘The mighty hunter has traveled far in its search for water. Its territory has been plagued by a terrible drought. Many creatures have perished, unable to find the replenishing liquid they so desperately need. Suddenly the air carries the sound of a rushing stream and the heady smell of moisture. Water is at hand!’

“Well, it’s about time! How hard is it to fill a water bowl anyway? Do you realize it’s been empty for almost two minutes?!”

***

‘The mighty hunter basks in the midday sun, sprawling along the rock surface. An eye opens, ever vigilant for the dangers that may appear, then closes lazily again. A gnat buzzes, a tail slashes through the air in irritation, and the magnificent animal turns in its repose.’

“What do you mean, I’m in the way? I was here first. Well, yeah, I know there’s a door there. Do you see I’m taking a nap? You could wait, you know. I’ll be done in … oh … three or four hours.”

***

‘The mighty hunter stalks its prey, body low to the ground, movements slow and graceful, black coat blending in to the darkness of the night. The large, slow-witted ruminant stands no chance against a predator as skilled as this. The meal is plentiful.’

“Did I hear food? I heard food, didn’t I? Yep, there it is. Higher! Fill it higher! Come on – come on! No, I can’t wait. When the food is in the bowl, it should be immediately put on the floor! Bending down takes time? I don’t care if you spill it, just gimme my food! ... Now move it!”

***

‘The mighty hunter sleeps. Another day in the wilds has ended, and this creature, at least, had the fortitude, the skill and cunning, to survive. No easy feat for any animal in this harsh environment.’

“Night-night. Ummm, sleepy. You know, sometimes it’s hard being a cat.”

Word Count: 486

Entry for Black Case Experience Cafe's The Animal in Me contest
© Copyright 2005 Mere de Vachon thanks FG! (meredevachon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/999646-The-Mighty-Hunter