*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1002196-Listen-here
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1002196 added January 16, 2021 at 3:39am
Restrictions: None
Listen here.
PROMPT January 16th

In your entry today, write about something you overheard while eavesdropping on a conversation you were not a part of. As part of “Creation Saturday,” you choose whether the conversation you write about is real or fake! Encourage discussion in your comments section - do your readers think your story is real or not?

I’m the sort of person who would actually hate to hear anything said about me behind my back. Even if it was something flattering. I always make sure people know I’m within hearing distance.

However, quite a few years ago, I did overhear a conversation, one which I wished I hadn’t.

It was on a Saturday night at the greyhound track. The year was 1979. I really do remember the year because my twins were having their sixth birthday. The loved going to the track. I know it sounds as if it wasn’t a suitable venue, but their was children’s rides there and a kid friendly restaurant where we had dinner.
Under lights, watching the dogs leave their traps and chase the lure is a lovely thing to watch. The lure is a pretend bunny. No cruelty involved.
Anyway I’d made my selection in the sixth race and was standing in the queue ready to place my bet. Behind me two men were discussing the race and they seemed sure which dog was going to win. I even suspected inside knowledge such were their convictions.
Of course I changed my selection and placed more than my usual five dollars. My original pick won at twenty to one. Serves me right for eavesdropping.

This is really true. Do you believe me?

© Copyright 2021 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1002196-Listen-here