*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1002841-The-Great-Race-of-1904
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#1002841 added January 25, 2021 at 6:54pm
Restrictions: None
The Great Race of 1904
edwords is a newbie old-timer. He asked about time/place for an historical story. Part of what I suggested was this [edited]:

This is a fascinating clip of the first car race on the Isle of Man, 1904. It's black/white/silent of course; but, what did it smell like? sound like? taste like (dust in the mouth?) even look like (clothes, colors, landscape) what was it like to touch one of cars? Everyone always focuses on the winner but car #17 came in third as seen at the end. What is their story? All of the young children are long dead now but my grandmother was 12 that year. What would she have thought? Would a young couple have gone to gawk? I dunno... but you might. You could even visit later this year and drive/walk part of the route. Snafel (Snaefell, Manx: Sniaull) the mountain is mentioned and the electric railroad to the top there dates from 1895 and is still in operation. 1895-1905 was a time of great change. This would make an interesting backdrop and setting (and it's NOT London).



In truth... any narrow focus would help with a story (whether it be romance, mystery, adventure, detective, YA). And much can be found on the internet these days.

If YOU dear readers had to write a story based on this what would you focus on? The drivers? The officials? The kids? The onlookers? The bird squawking in a tree? How could you make that moment come alive (anticipation before, the event, after it's over)?


Originally posted on Newsfeed. Do I dare right a story meself?
57,347

© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1002841-The-Great-Race-of-1904