*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004179-Random-Thoughts
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#1004179 added February 10, 2021 at 3:52pm
Restrictions: None
Random Thoughts
Another day home alone and I'm loving it. It's warmed up some, a nice -6 Fahrenheit with a light wind so it's feeling like -23. But the suns shining and the house blocks the wind so it's not too bad sitting out on the step for my smoke breaks. The temperature is going to drop through the afternoon and hit a -17 by midnight, and -23 degrees by morning. We won't see the temperature rise above zero until next week if the forecast is correct.

I was hoping to get out and try some ice fishing, something I have done very little of. I have gone out with my brother a few times in the past, but that was on shallow lakes in South Dakota, and neither of us really knew what we were doing. We did catch some fish, but more by luck than by knowing what to do. So, I decided I needed to get out and give it a try, learn how to catch some crappies and sunfish, and get some fresh air and exercise. I had a few items from the past but needed to purchase most of the stuff I needed. I ordered a bit here and there and now have everything I need to get out and fish.

But, then the schools shut down and I ended up playing teacher to my two daughters for distance learning. Next, we got exposed to Covid and my wife got sick. She was home for a few weeks, but since she was sick, I needed to be here to care for her and continue playing teacher. By the time she was feeling better, I was sick and we were all quarantined. Sure, once I was feeling better I could have gone out, but by then, my wife was back to work and the girls and I were still quarantined at home, so more distance learning. Besides, even after I felt better, I had little energy, I would do small things and need to rest, so I took it easy until I regained my strength.

Now I'm feeling better, have more energy, and should be out ice fishing since the girls are back in school this week. But, the old Dodge Ram doesn't do well in the cold. I have to take it in and have it serviced, and I want the transmission checked. When it's cold out, the transmission slips until it gets warmed up. I can use it, but I need to let it run for fifteen minutes or more before moving it. That was with temperatures down in the teens, so I'm not sure how it would go with it sub-zero now.

So, for now anyway, I'm enjoying a quiet and peaceful house, getting some stuff done around here, and spending a bit more time in WDC.  Sunday night the girls were so excited they couldn't sleep, so I didn't get much either, so Monday I napped and got caught up on my sleep. Yesterday I moved some stuff around and got a few things done before school let out. Today I took a decongestant that made me tired, so again, a nice long winter's nap. It's funny, I feel fine, but my sinuses get a bit dry and stuffed up; not bad most days, just a stuffy nose. But, at night, it gets worse.

Once I lie down, it seems I stuff up so much I can't breathe through my nose and my throat gets itchy from the drainage and I end up coughing and can't sleep. I usually lie on my left side, but that's the worst. I found if I lie on my right side, I clear up a bit. Most nights that's enough, other nights I take a cough syrup before bed and do pretty good. But, since the temperature dropped so low, the air has gotten very dry inside the house and it's worse now. Bad enough that I continue to wake up through the night from coughing. Once I get up, it clears up in a few minutes, but as soon as I lie back down, the stuffiness and coughing return.

This morning I was tired from not sleeping well last night, so my wife suggested I try some Nyquil and see if it helps. I know, it's a night time medication, but I was tired and wanted to sleep more, so I took a shot, the one it comes with, and snuggled into bed. I fell asleep quickly and didn't wake up for four hours! If it works this good tonight, I have this problem solved. Also, I moved the humidifier and it seems to be doing a better job now, so not quite as dry in here. It seems to hold the humidity at about 35%. I also put on e in the bedroom to raise the humidity a bit in there at night.

© Copyright 2021 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1004179-Random-Thoughts