*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1005446-The-Shape-of-Water
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2245458
Journalistic Intentions beginning in 2021
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1005446 added March 1, 2021 at 9:28pm
Restrictions: None
The Shape of Water
This is still a work in progress...

The Shape of Water is a movie. I have not seen the movie. I have only seen the trailer which I have included here:



It seems to be a modern day version of Beauty and the Beast. It seems to open up the concept for me. The woman has her own muteness that marks her as 'unusual', but it is that aspect that makes her open to see the unique wonderfulness of the creature within the container. She too is an outsider to the 'acceptable' world view. She is seen as less because she cannot speak.

Taking the time to get to know him, makes him more 'human'.

But I find, it is people like this woman who make the world an interesting and unique place. They allow us to open up and see things differently, but we must be open to stretching ourselves beyond society's limited 'acceptableness'.

Those not open, are the monsters that hide within society's structures. Their ugliness is hidden behind a façade of what society sees as normal. Their prejudice is a stain on them they cannot wipe away. White privilege can be a dirty thing if we let it take higher priority. Who made those rules? I think they are based in fear. Fear of losing control. Fear of difference... instead of seeing the similarities.

This movie turns that idea on its side. The Beast is a creature confined to water. Those keeping him contained want to study him. Take him apart. Dissect him. They don't take the time to communicate with him or learn that he too, has feelings. That he too, has things in common with humanity. They focus on the differences.

As I write this, I am also watching James Baldwin's I Am Not Your Negro.

Segregation breeds ignorance. We need to mix to know each other a little better. If we do that we can all rise.

The container we are in is that of societal expectations. We are the water that forms to that container. I do not want to be bound to this container.



Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
For new Mods!


My owl signature from Gemini Gem.

© Copyright 2021 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1005446-The-Shape-of-Water