*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
6
10
11
12
13
14
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1007271-Hometown
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1007271 added March 29, 2021 at 4:03pm
Restrictions: None
Hometown
PROMPT March 29th

What did you like / dislike about where you grew up? What do you like / dislike about where you live now?
         
          Ah, that is the question. Did I grow up? Did I mature? Some would answer nope. I will begrudgingly admit I aged. Sad, but true, I grew older.
         Now I recall my childhood in a small town known as Preston. Did I like it? Yes, yes I did.
                   During my elementary school years, I lived one block from the school. Pretty difficult not to arrive there. What could go wrong in such a short distance? Oh sure, I suppose I could dilly and dally along the route. I never had to hurry. No possibility existed for me to skip school in favour of other pursuits. Neighbours knew where I should be and when. We all heard the school bells throughout the day that announced the time table. I rarely walked alone either. A gang of kids would sweep me up and herd me along. Every day I sauntered to and from school for my lunch break.
         Preston was not too big and not too small. I enjoyed the freedom to explore on my bicycle. One of my favourite haunts, the local library, never failed to entertain me. Wall to wall books beckoned.
         I loved to meander about Riverside Park with its immense, lush trees, manicured lawn, bright flowers, inviting trails, a small petting zoo, and of course, the playground. Nothing beats an afternoon spent sliding, swinging, and running. Sometimes, I'd recline on one of the benches and people-watch.
         Most days in the humid summer, my siblings, friends and I graced Eddie's Pool with our boisterous presence. Our parents preferred to stay home, probably to revel in the brief respite our absence provided. Ah, sun and water. When I close my eyes and travel back, I see all the bikes leaning against the fence glinting. Eddie's Pool was the place to hang out. I remember the constant throb of noise; squeals, whistles, shouts, laughter, splashes.
         I survived a period during my teens when I, the non-athletic klutz, insisted upon roller skating at the nearby arena. I never succeeded to master that distinctive rolling motion despite my repeated efforts. I tortured myself for the camaraderie, the booming music, and the chance to add to my bruise collection. My knees have never forgiven me.
         In Preston, my Mom would send me out on errands. I'd visit the butcher shop, the bank and other businesses as her emissary. I believe all the kids were doing this.
         For my high school years, I had to hike a couple of miles, but my route could be varied from day to day. At lunch breaks, my pals and I visited a Dairy Queen for ice cream treats. We wandered pretty much at will always deep in conversation.
         If and when any of us yearned for the attractions of a big city, we'd drive to Toronto which is about an hour from Preston. We could and did get our fill before we returned home.
         I've lived in many different areas since I left home and I still prefer smaller towns to cities. I like a quieter pace of life with less hustle and bustle. I visit bigger metropolises, ( metropoli?), but I've never been tempted to reside in them. For many years now, I've called Sundridge home . It boasts one school, an elementary one, one bank, one grocery store, a lakefront hotel, a hardware store, one drug store, a post office, a handful of restaurants and two traffic lights which were only added during a rerouting of the highway. The main street can be counted in a handful of blocks . Oh wait, did I mention there are two car dealerships? One of them stretches along the main street and spreads over a set of railway tracks. Railroad officials periodically hold meetings in which they encourage residents not to cross the tracks at this car lot...as if, not going to happen. Two of its garages are separated by the tracks.
         I am less than a block from Lake Bernard. Everything I could need is within walking distance and my vehicle sits for days before I drive it.
         My son, daughter-in-law, and two of my grandgiggles live nearby. Yes, I like where I live. As I mentioned, I've moved around and I do not plan to do so again.

© Copyright 2021 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1007271-Hometown