*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
3
4
6
7
8
10
13
14
15
16
19
20
21
22
24
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010205-Saturday-Morning-Musing
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2223922
A tentative blog to test the temperature.
#1010205 added May 15, 2021 at 8:45pm
Restrictions: None
Saturday Morning Musing
Saturday Morning Musing

Noticed that the Shadows and Light Poetry Contest had shot to the top of my Favorites list this morning. Thought I haven’t looked at that in a while - wonder what’s going on to have stirred the waters. So I went and looked.

It’s a contest I like a great deal, partly because it’s for free form poetry, which is my favoured speciality, and because I’ve had a modicum of success in it in the past. Well, it’s nice to get the occasional encouragement, isn’t it?

Anyway, I was looking down the list of entries for the current contest and I spied the name of winklett in the woods , a recent discovery of mine, although she’s been around in WdC for much longer than I have. Naturally, I took a read of her offering.

It was so good, I had to applaud it in some way. Without giving a full review, it seemed the only option was to Like the poem. So I hunted through the forum to click on the necessary. Found it and did so, but not before I’d noticed submissions by two other poets I have high regard for, fyn and concrete_angel.

Which meant I had to go read their entries too. And theirs were just as brilliant, requiring me to Like both of them, just as I’d done for Winklett.

So then I’d Liked three of the entries and it struck me that, to be fair, I should read the others. I did. And (you’re not going to believe this) they were all good, way above the average in fact. If you’re looking to read a really strong field of entries, go see for yourself. Even if you don’t like poetry. Go find out just how powerful poetry can be in free form.


https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1935693-Shadows-and-Light-Poetry-Con...

I had been toying with the idea of throwing something at the contest myself but it seemed I had only succeeded in daunting myself. It would be cheeky to enter anything of mine amongst such company, after all.

And then I had a thought. Unless I entered something entirely different, of course. Something so different that no one would even think of comparing it to the masterpieces around it. Something so brash and left field that it could only be judged purely for itself.

Yes, I might just do that...



Word count: 391



© Copyright 2021 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010205-Saturday-Morning-Musing