*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012479-Better-Green-Bean-Casserole
Rated: E · Book · Food/Cooking · #2220161
A place for me to keep all my recipes
#1012479 added June 24, 2021 at 7:19pm
Restrictions: None
Better Green Bean Casserole
I dunno about you, but I never did get all that excited about the gloppy green bean casserole that graced our holiday table every year at Thanksgiving and then, again at Christmas.

The traditional recipe calls for canned green beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of cream of chicken soup, and crunchy fried onions. You mix all the canned goods together and dump them in a casserole dish then sprinkle with the fried onions before baking.

Now, I've played with the recipe and think I've come up with something I really like and maybe you will too. Let me know if you try it!


What you will need:

one bag of frozen green beans
one block of cream cheese
4oz of sour cream
one package of fresh mushrooms chopped
one red onion - chopped
one pouch of onion soup mix
1 teaspoon minced garlic
black pepper and salt to taste
one cup finely chopped almonds or pecans
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
a stick of butter
1/3 cup oats


Ok, in a bowl, soften your cream cheese and mix with the sour cream and soup mix. In a small skillet, saute your onions, mushrooms, and garlic for about four or five minutes. You want your mushrooms to start browning and getting a little crispy. Add your green beans and let cook until they start to thaw out and get soft. Add your salt and pepper to taste. Now, slowly add your cheese and cream mix until everything is well coated and mixed. Transfer to your large casserole dish.

In a small bowl use a fork and cream your butter. Add in the brown sugar and cream again until it is light and airy. Next, fold in your nuts and oats. Add little dots of this mixture all over the top of your green beans in your casserole dish.

Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the top gets golden brown and bubbly. Remove from heat and let sit for at least five minutes before serving.


*Instead of using the nutty sweet crumble for the top, you could always use the traditional fried onions or crushed crackers.

This has basically all the same elements as your traditional casserole but with a fresher taste and better texture in my opinion.


** Image ID #1665990 Unavailable **
Left facing shadow monkey signature with words on shirt for Ninja MonkeysNM
gift from Leah. GHA
signature i won from space blog
© Copyright 2021 Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love (UN: wordgeek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012479-Better-Green-Bean-Casserole