*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1015307
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#1015307 added August 8, 2021 at 4:02pm
Restrictions: None
Not very nice of me, but I would ban T****p
You've been given the opportunity to start a new civilisation off-planet. Who is banned from joining you and why? What rules will you put in place? "JAFBG

When I was 12 I envisioned a building surrounded by gardens down a long drive overhung by arching elm trees.

I did not envision poison ivy, venomous snakes or hidden quicksand.

I did not imagine a palace run by Emperor Don the T****p.

I started gardening at age 9. I would collect unwanted plants in the empty lot. I planted seeds in May's squishy clay that turned to brick by August. I added a bit of beauty to a land of sterile lawns and concrete sidewalks.

I was strange.

I grew up stunted by conformity and a lack of options. I escaped to university and found out that there was a whole garden of humanity, blossoming outside my bubble-wrapped suburb of factories and bowling alleys.

I was 23 when I finally found myself surrounded by gardens, paths guarded by arborvitae (the tree of life), a white building in the center, festooned with lace like a wedding cake.

My 6th grade English essay had come alive.

So that's what I would envision.

A place where nature was welcomed, a place of serenity and beauty, a place where humanity can gather.

What rules?

Not the Old Testament Laws arguing over which drapes are proper, nor the bloody squabbles of my-god-is-better-than-your-god. Perhaps the Red-letter New Testament cut and pasted together by Jefferson in 1804. Maybe quote Paul in Galations about Faith trumping Law or James stating that Works were as important as Faith. Maybe scraping it all for the simplicity of the Qur'an: prayer and kindness. Keeping it simple. A KISS principle. But... I would have to ask those willing to join me whether they could come together to consult and resolve disputes in a peaceful manner, whether they were willing to critically think to overcome obstacles, whether the science of the physical reality could be seen through the soulful lens of Eternity.

Gardens flourish with diversity. All manners of life must be welcome, even those whose purpose may not easily be discerned by limited humans. I'm not sure about poison ivy though. Perhaps venomous snakes could be isolated.

But there is no use for the quicksand of pompous liars, for misogyny, xenophobia, nationalism, for egos that trample on the human rights of others sowing seeds of dissension and doubt for no other purpose than self-aggrandizement.

It may not be very nice of me to ban the Lord of Flies and Chaos, but I would ban T****p.

~430 words
posted in "Blogville
794

© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1015307