*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1015608-Vacation
by Sum1
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2224976
Writings about things that have occurred in my life. Not in Chronological Order
#1015608 added August 24, 2021 at 8:15pm
Restrictions: None
Vacation?
You Call This Being On Vacation?



         This week was a week of scheduled Flexible Time Off (FTO). Yeah, they've renamed something as simple as vacation once again. First renaming I recall, was Paid Time Off (PTO), that was so long ago that I don't remember if vacation was called something else before PTO. My wish (it's just a wish, no one would ever listen to me about things like this), is to leave the old names alone. Vacation is vacation, you're not working, you don't have to get anything done during the scheduled week, etc. I just wish they'd leave things alone and not think up new names. Are they going to eventually rename everything? If so, can we permanently change things in the process? Oh wait, I won't go there because it will end up being a rant and turn you all off, if you're not turned off already. This post isn't about that; it's really about how I spent my week of 'vacation'.

         Originally I had planned on going to Alabama this week to visit my daughter. Wednesday was her birthday, I've had this week scheduled since way back in January, celebrating her birthday was gravy on top of being able to see her and the kids. My youngest daughter had planned on watching the dogs for us which would have made things even better. But..... as I like to say, "Sometimes, the best laid plans of mice and men......" Yeah, nothing I planned came to pass. Obviously we didn't go because our 'dog sitter' just started a new job, and was in training this week. Since she lives in Decatur, about 45 miles south of Bloomington, it just wasn't possible for her to do both. Yes, we still could have gone and taken the dogs (3) with us. I mean, I bought this nice van almost 2 years ago just for things like this. But a certain someone (not me!) finally admitted to being uncomfortable traveling across the country, even if only from Illinois to Alabama. With COVID rearing its ugly head again, the feeling of discomfort is even greater. So, we didn't go. Another thought was that if my manager doesn't want me traveling on business, should I really be traveling for pleasure? I'm not sure which is safer, business travel, or personal travel. Better to be safe than sorry.

         So I had a week off, yay! Oh wait, I put myself on notice this week though. I have a one day, 2-hour class a week from Monday, and the Powerpoint slideshow hasn't changed since I wrote it almost 10 years ago! Now it's a 'simple' class, covering the programming of what's called a radio consolette. The PPT includes numerous screenshots from the programming software, provided mainly as reference for the students. Those screenshots were made using the old software, something around version 8. We are on version 24 now, and while the screens are still very similar, to me the screenshots just scream, "Look at me! I'm 10 years out of date!" A pdf file version of the PPT is provided to the students for their reference and retention. You know what they say about 'First Impressions'. You only have a chance to make that one time. Plus, I absolutely refuse to use outdated materials like that. So, I spent 3 days of the week creating new screenshots for use. All for a 2-hour class. I figured I was home, didn't have to worry about what I did this week, had nothing 'official' to do, could leave when I want/if I want, etc. So, I worked when I wanted, napped as needed, and got things done. Still, quite the vacation, huh. I also personalized those Fleetmapping course materials for a class next week.

         Another small task I did this week was to participate in two conference calls with a customer I will deliver a tailored class to in 3 weeks. The course materials aren't an issue, I've delivered this same class to them 4 times already in South Dakota, North Dakota, and Colorado. But I went to their sites for those classes. This one will be virtual of course. They are part of the Federal Government, and can only use Microsoft Teams for their online meetings. Zoom is blocked by their IT department, as is Google Meet and Adobe Connect. Microsoft Teams is blocked by my employer, so what to do, what to do? I figured out that I could install Microsoft Teams if I ran the install program as an administrator. Still, I couldn't sign in using my company login, it kept redirecting me back to my original page. So I decided to try my home email, and voila! I was 'in like Flint'. Today we had a brief conference call/meeting to verify they could access the virtual meeting room using a link I provided (I don't see why they wouldn't be able to, unless their IT department had certain companies blocked). A possibility, but it didn't seem very realistic to me. Fifteen minutes together in the room and we were set.

         So yes, a week of vacation, but a working vacation just the same. That's fine by me, I'm home, doing what I want and relaxing. I even managed to have a bit of Rum, and later, Bourbon during the day Tuesday and Thursday. Something I wouldn't have done if I wasn't on vacation. Enough of all this, I hope y'all are well, remaining safe and healthy during these trying times. Above all, I hope you always feel the love that others share with you. Til next time, be safe, be healthy, be free! Most of all, be happy. *Smile**Heart*

© Copyright 2021 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1015608-Vacation