*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019130-October-11th---Monday---SettingDefinition-List
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2259195
To keep all documents relating to the October Preparation Challenge for NaNoWriMo
#1019130 added October 13, 2021 at 1:58pm
Restrictions: None
October 11th - Monday - Setting:Definition List
Psychic Powers in the Mindwalk Pavilion

Any manifestation of psychic abilities among the general population is rare. Those with abilities may serve a small community in some way, for example a dowser might serve a few local villages.

Some families exhibit ability way above the common, and it is from these families that most Council members are drawn.

Some of these powers are considerably rarer than others.


1) Astral Projection - This is quite rare, however most of the Council will have this ability. It runs in families. It is essential for entering the Mindwalk Pavilion.

2) Dowsing is more common. Dowsing can be for water, or minerals. Some are capable of quite sophisticated searches. Dr John Dee develops a very sophisticated method of Dowsing, which is based on the work of TC Lethbridge in our world. This has significance for Bodica, as it seems to indicate that there are different levels of being, arrange on a spiral. Things above or below a certain point on the spiral will exhibit similarities. This is not unlike the similarities chemical elements share in columns on the periodic table.

3) Levitation - extremely rare, maybe once in a few generations will someone will manifest this ability. No one in this story can levitate.

4) Precognition. - Seeing the future is unusual, but even those with little ability may occasionally experience precognition. Usually a glimpse of the future will not tell the whole story, and so this ability has somewhat limited use. Edward Carrick is very gifted in this respect, and can often discern enough about what he has seen, to offer advice about what to do.

5) Psychometry - the ability to tell something about someone or something by touching them, or something intimately connected with them. Quite rare.

6) Remote viewing. Being able to see what someone is doing at a distance. Rare.

7) Telepathy. Being able to communicate with others using the mind. Very rare.

8) Weather manipulation. Changing the weather is a quite rare ability.

9) Elemental interaction. Being able to interact with elemental spirits, is quite rare. Usually a person will only be able to communicate with one type of elemental initially - one with which they have an affinity. Those who work at it can eventually interact with any elemental type.

10) Spirit Interaction. Similar to work with elementals, being able to interact with spirits such as dryads (tree spirits), undines (water spirits) etc. Rare.

11) Healing. This is a fairly common ability, and is usually combined with a knowledge of herbs and medicines, and of human anatomy.

12) Elemental manipulation. Usually associated with Elemental interaction. The ability to manipulate an element - this would for example include: the ability to start/extinguish fires; or to purify water; to summon up a breeze or wind, (related to weather manipulation, but a wind inside a building for instance would involve elemental manipulation.); to be able to bend metal.

13) Interaction with spirits of the dead. Seeing ghosts is uncommon. Interacting with the spirits of the dead is rare.


Grades of the Church of Mithras:

Corax

Nymphus

Miles

Leo

Perses

Heliodromus

Pater.
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019130-October-11th---Monday---SettingDefinition-List