*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020545-Solution
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2260903
A book to store my <500-word stories
#1020545 added November 1, 2021 at 12:44pm
Restrictions: None
Solution
“So what are you saying?” I asked, retreating a step from my red-faced boss.

“I’m saying we have a problem, Brenda!” Nora repeated, clearly exasperated. She stabbed the crinkled page. “We can’t possibly afford to pay this kind of money per unit! You didn’t sign the actual contract did you?”

The large woman planted her other hand into a fleshy hip, a sheen of anxiety washing over beady peepers as she glared daggers at me.

“I, um, did, actually,” I said timidly, an uncomfortable swallow punctuating my words.

“Well, I hope you can fix this! 10,000 units at this price will get us both fired! And why do you always put the dollar sign on the right of the number like an ignorant kid!”

Nora threw down the paper, clacking heavily away.

Why was she so upset?! I’d actually been rather pleased with my latest deal!

I picked up the paper, my eyes darting across the page as I wondered anew at Nora’s vehement reaction.

Mr. Fredrickson marched into my office, however, before I had a chance to properly recover from Nora’s visit, his bushy brows colliding in a pronounced “V” as he glared at me.

“Nora tells me you’ve signed a contract to buy at 989$ per unit?” he demanded, crossing his arms. “Please tell me it isn’t true.”

“It… isn’t!” I gasped, shocked at the price he’d quoted. I looked down at the paper. It clearly stated a price of $686.

Then, it dawned on me.

Slowly, I turned the paper in my fingers, a smile forming as I showed it to the CEO right-side up. His eyebrows popped up, a grin of his own appearing.

He marched out of my office, right up to Nora. “Nora, you’re fired! Your job is Brenda’s now.”
© Copyright 2021 WriterAngel (UN: angr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
WriterAngel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020545-Solution