*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020546-The-Interrogation
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2260903
A book to store my <500-word stories
#1020546 added November 1, 2021 at 12:44pm
Restrictions: None
The Interrogation
“What happened here?” Mom’s stern visage surveyed the damage, brows furrowing at the shattered glass strewn all over the carpet.

I crossed my arms, sending my best defiant scowl her way. Her piercing eyes swept back and forth several times before landing squarely on my brother’s terrified face. His Adam's apple bobbed in a nervous swallow. I could only hope that he would honor our pact in the face of such overwhelming parental displeasure.

It took only seconds for him to crack, beads of sweat erupting over his forehead as he wilted under our mother’s withering glare. “It’s not my fault!” he cried, apologetic eyes darting briefly to me before returning to Mom’s kneecaps. “It’s hers!” His hand shot out, index finger unfurling in my direction.

My eyes widened in horror. He had told! Thankfully, I had a painstakingly prepared prevarication for such an eventuality.

Mom’s eyes turned inexorably in my direction. Disapproval radiated from her azure irises as if she were some sort of superhero, ream-ray vision her most potent superpower.

My cheeks flushed. I felt the power of her eyes boring into me, ripping through my feigned petulance with horrifying ease.

“Well, young lady?” She tapped her foot, her jaw tight with anger.

I searched my mind for my carefully concocted story, my clenching stomach twisting in horror as I realized that it was gone, erased by the destructive power of Mom’s smoldering gaze.

I was lost. I didn’t know what to do! I was doomed!

“I—” I stuttered in desperation. “I’m sorry!”

Mom’s furrowed brows eased, eyes softening. She reached down, picked me up, and patted my back. I let out a sigh of relief. The storm had passed, and I had survived. I wrapped my arms around Mom and squeezed in gratitude.

300 words
© Copyright 2021 WriterAngel (UN: angr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
WriterAngel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020546-The-Interrogation