*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020952-chapter-Two
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2251563
Rising Star blog
#1020952 added November 30, 2021 at 7:45pm
Restrictions: None
chapter Two
This is still a work in progress, but I welcome any feedback.

start labeling what day you are on.

Ruth didn't know how long she had been reading, but she was in the middle of Psalms 37 when Vivian came into the kitchen. "Is anyone else awake yet, Mom?"

Ruth startled, "Oh, you startled me, dear! No, I am the only one as far as I know."

I'm sorry Momma. I didn't mean to startle you. I thought maybe Rachel would already be awake."

"I slept about as long as I could and decided to come in here and read a little. I haven't made any coffee yet."

Okay, Mom, I can make the coffee this morning. Are you going to be okay after Rachel and I go home today? I am a little worried about you. I know you are taking Dad's death pretty hard."

Oh, I will be fine. I have got to figure it out. You and you sister have done more than enough for me these last few days and I appreciate it. You two need to get back to your own lives."

After starting the coffee maker, Vivian went over to hug her mom. "Mom, I love you and I know how much you loved dad. Please, let us know if you need anything. We don't want to lose you too.

I will Vivian. I will.

-------------------


Later that day, Ruth had seen her daughters off and was now in the house by herself. The silence was deafening. She wasn't sure what she was going to do with herself, but at least the funeral was over and they had laid Mike to rest.

She sat back down on the couch still feeling numb. She decided to check in with her best friend and called her on her cell phone. "Olivia, Hi, I told you I would let you know when the girls had gone."

"Hi, yes you did. How are you doing now that you are by yourself?"

"Oh, I guess I am okay. I don't think the reality of it all has fully hit me yet. I am not completely sure what to do with myself."

"Ok, well, if you need anything, you call me. I am only a phone call away and you know I can get to your house pretty quick. I don't care what time of day or night it is."

"Don't worry about me. I will call you if I need anything. I will call you tomorrow."

Ok, I will talk to you tomorrow. "Bye-bye."

"Bye."

Ruth didn't want to be on the phone that long because she didn't feel like talking. She just wanted some peace and quiet for a day or two. It felt like a whirlwind since Mike had died.

Ruth sat on her couch and began to pray. "God, I don't know what I am supposed to do without my Mike with me, but I know that I need to cling to you to get me through it. I feel so numb and lost. Now my life must go on. The funeral is over and I have to figure out how to navigate through this life alone. Alone, God! I am alone! How could you do this to me?" Tears began to fall again. Her sinuses were so irritated from crying so much. She didn't even know she could cry anymore.

She was feeling a little angry at God for taking her husband. She didn't know where this emotion came from. She didn't expect it, but it was there. She wanted to just throw one huge temper tantrum, and she would have if she thought it would do any good. She thought, "Oh great! Now I can't even pray because I am angry at God."

She picked up a book she had been reading at the hospital while sitting with her husband. It was a Christian Fiction book by an author she was not familiar with. She had checked it out from the library a week before. She decided to read. What else was she going to do with herself right now? She didn't have the energy to face life at the moment.

The phone rang after she had been reading for a while. It was Pastor Ben. "Hello"

"Hi, Ruth. I wanted to check on you. I know you are taking your husband's death pretty hard. How are you doing?"

"Other than being angry at God right now, I guess I am okay. I am just sitting here reading a book and trying to relax a little after all the stress."

"Don't be too hard on yourself. Anger is a normal part of Grief, but do know that God has your best interest at heart and loves you very much. May I pray with you?"

"Yes, you may. I can use all the prayers I can get right now. Thank you."

"Dear Heavenly Father, I bring this sister, Ruth, before you. She is having a hard time grieving over her husband. Please don't hold her anger or any sin against her at this time and help her through her grief. Let her feel your presence and know you are there. Send your angels to comfort her and provide for all her needs. In Jesus' Mighty name, Amen.

If it is okay with you, I will call you every day or every other day for a while."

"Yes, I think I would like that very much. Thank you for your prayers and concern."

"You are welcome. Goodbye for now, and God bless."

"Goodbye, Pastor Ben."

Ruth went back to reading her book.

------------------------


Ruth must have fallen asleep while reading. She began having a dream. There was this dark figure standing over her threatening to consume her and destroy her.

"Ruth, you are finally mine. I am going to keep you so down, you won't be able to ever experience happiness again. I am going to be relentless. I am going to make and keep you miserable."

Ruth startled awake! What kind of dream was that? She knew grief did strange things to people, but she had never heard of anything like that. Her heart was pounding. She decided to get some sweet tea from the fridge. She had promised her daughters she would eat the sandwich and banana they had left for her to eat for dinner. She decided now was as good a time as any.

Ruth sat down at the table with her tea, turkey and cheese sandwich, and banana. She slowly willed herself to eat it. She decided to take some Tylenol after eating since she had a headache. She figured if she got some rest she would feel better. She wasn't ready to face the bedroom yet, so she decided she would continue sleeping on the couch for now.

Ruth went back to the couch and decided to read some more of her book. It wasn't particularly the type of book she normally read, but it was something to get her mind off of everything right now. She was reading to escape reality.

She got back into her story where the main character was a woman who had gotten ill. The woman was fighting her illness and her fiance and she had gotten into an argument. Would they make up before it was too late? She continued reading until she finished the book. The couple had made up, gotten back together, agreed to go through with the planned wedding, and the woman had recovered from her illness. A happy ending was in the book. "She thought to herself, why couldn't her story have ended that way? But hers had ended in tradgedy. Ruth must have fallen asleep while reading. She began having a dream. There was this dark figure standing over her threatening to consume her and destroy her.

Ruth must have drifted off to sleep again. The spirit of grief stood over her. "That's it. Feel empty and hopeless. Feel despair. Feel angry at God or anyone you wish. Be miserable. I can take you to the grave too if you will let me."

She began dreaming of the dark spirit again. She would toss and turn. She would startle awake drenched in sweat and doze back off into a fitful sleep again to repeat the process.

----------

Ruth continued having this kind of dream all night long. She finally got up at 6 am and decided she had enough of that. She decided to get up, have some coffee, and do her Bible reading.

Ruth went to the kitchen and made the coffee. She pulled two eggs out of the fridge and fried them. She always liked her fried eggs over medium. She made herself some toast with butter. Then she sat down at her table with all of it for breakfast. After she ate, she figured eating at this point was better than dreaming what she had been dreaming, she opened her Bible. She did it more out of habit because her heart really wasn't in it.

Ruth read from proverbs this time a couple of chapters and then decided to pray. "God, Here I am again. I feel so alone. I am angry at you and don't really want to spend time with you right now, but I don't know what else to do or how else to live. I have always come to you with everything. I am supposed to start going through Mike's things with Olivia today. Please give me the strength to do the things I need to do. In Jesus' name, Amen"

After Ruth finished praying, she gathered up her dishes from the table and took them where there were some other dishes in the sink. She washed her dishes, got a rag, and wiped down the stove, countertops, and table. I was now 9 am. Her friend had promised to be there around 10. What was she going to do for the next hour until her friend got there? She decided to keep herself busy cleaning.

Over the next hour, Ruth vaccumed the living rooom, dusted, and did some laundry. The hour was over before she knew it. She heard the knock on the door and her heart leaped in her chest. She was looking forward to see her friend, but dreading facing the planned task ahead. She went to the door and greeted her friend with a hug. "Hi, I'm so glad you could come over today. I have just been doing some routine cleaning."

"Hi, you have it looking good as always. You have always been a great house keeper. Where do you want to begin?"

"I want to begin by having a talk. Please, sit at the table and have some sweet tea with me. I just made some fresh about an hour ago."

You know I am always up for some sweet tea with my best friend. I am glad I could come over today too. How are you holding up?

I'm holding. That's about as good as you are going to get. I am trying to make and keep myself busy. How are you?

Well, I'm good, especially now that I am here to spend some time with you.

Oh, don't flatter me. My company isn't that great.

That's a matter of opinion. You know I love you. You are my friend, and I love spending time with you.

Well, lets just get this tea and sit down for a few minutes. I have been cleaning the last couple of hours and am ready for a little break. Do you want a snack?

Oh no! I ate breakfast not long before I came over here. I have to watch my figure you know? Olivia said laughing.

Oh yeah, we wouldn't want to ruin your figure. I am sorry I even suggested it.

Both women laughed as they sat down at the table with their sweet tea. Ruth let her friend know she really appreciated her help and her friendship and her listening ear. "I just needed someone with me when I faced that bedroom for the first time. I haven't gone in there since Mike died. Rachel and her husband slept in there when they were here, but I haven't been in there.

Well, I am here and I will even hold your hand if you need it.

I don't know we need to go to that extent. I just don't want to be alone.

Whenever you are ready, I will go with you. Just let me know. Tell me what you need me to do and I will do it.

Okay, I guess now is as good of a time as any. Let's get this over with.

Both women got up, left their tea at the table half drank, and walked to the bedroom. Ruth looked in. It looked just like she had left it. She was sure Rachel had cleaned it before she left. Tears began to fall. "It's so empty without him here. My heart and life feel so empty."

Olivia hugged her friend, "Do you want to continue or do you want to stop here?

I want to continue. I need to face this and the sooner the better. I am surprised I have any tears left to cry.

I am here for as long as you need me take your time.

Ruth ventured to the closet where she continued opening the door. There were Mike's clothes. He would never where them again. She dropped to the floor sobbing unconsolably. "Why is this happening to me? We were supposed to grow old together. He was supposed to survived this! The doctor lied! He said he would get better and he didn't. God took my Mike away from me! I am so angry! I don't know how to do this!"

------

Olivia wasn't quite sure what to do to console her friend. She sat down in the floor with her and pulled her to herself and rocked her like she would a crying child. This went on for about 30 minutes. Then Ruth began laughing. "We must be a sight down here on the floor like 2 school girls. I am so sorry that you have to see me like this, but thank you"

Anytime, now shall I continue to rock you or do you actually want to get something accomplished today? Do you know what you will do with Mike's belongings?

Well, I hadn't actually thought that far in advance. I know that I can't keep everything. Should I donate them or have a yard sell? What do you think?

I think Mike would want you to sell them in a yard sale to get a little extra money to live on until you can get on your feet.

I think you are right. A yard sale it is then. That means we have a lot of work to do in the next couple of weeks.

We? How did I become a part of this?

Well I assumed since you said you were here for as long as I needed you, that would include 2 weeks to put together and run a yard sale.

Well, since you put it that way, I guess I don't have a choice.

They both giggled and got up off the floor. Olivia said, "Shall we start with the closet? You been meaning to clean it out for a while now.

I've been meaning to do a lot of things. I guess it is time I personalize this space.

The women spent the next hour going through all the clothes in the closet, Ruth's included. They had a good pile to put into the yard sale goods. They also kept a box to put stuff in they would just rather donate to the homeless shelter. After they got done with the closet, they spent an hour and a half on the dresser and nightstand. The both decided at 2 pm it was time to have a little lunch. They had talked, worked, cried, and laughed. They headed into the kitchen.

Ruth got the sweet tea from the fridge and poored 2 fresh glasses. "Thank you, Olivia. I don't know how I would have done this without you.

You know what? I have an idea. How would you feel about repainting the bedroom and changing the curtains, sort of give it a facelift. Then maybe it will help you not feel as lonely because it won't look exactly like it was when Mike was here.

I think I would like that, but I am limited on money right now. The life insurance mostly went on the funeral expenses. At some point, I have to figure out the finances here. Mike always took care of all that, and now it is all on me. I have got to figure out what to do. I have enough in savings that I can be okay for a couple of months, but then I have got to get an income. I'm not old enough for social security. I don't even know what I need on a monthly basis. I know where Mike kept his records, but we didn't discuss it because we weren't expecting him to die like he did. I will have to go through all of that also. I want to finish getting things ready for the yard sale, and then I will tackle that chore. Would you like a sandwhich?

Sure. I am here to help for the long haul. I will let Orion Know what I am doing. He may even help some when he isn't working. Maybe we have some items we can add and donate to your cause. Let me see what I can do on my end. How long to you want to stay at it today? I can make dinner and have Orion come over here when he gets off work.

That would be wonderful. We had used the girls old room for storage, so I will need to go through it too. Then there is the garage. That was mostly Mike's territory. He has some tools and things out there. All the yard and gardening tools and holiday decorations are out in the shed in the back yard. I am thinking of selling his recliner and getting a new one of my own. That would just be too strange to sit in his chair.

Ruth joined her at the table with the sandwhiches. Olivia replied, "Okay, I will cook dinner here tonight. It is settled then. Let me call Orion.

------------
After working all day, Ruth was hungry. She was working in the girls room and could smell the food Olivia was cooking. Olivia had always been a good cook and always seemed to know how to cheer her up when she needed it. This was good. She was enjoying the company.

Orion knocked on the door, and Olivia let him in. Hi, Thank you for doing this dear. I know it means a lot to Ruth.

You are welcome. I am happy to eat where ever you are cooking. He bent down and gave her a kiss.

Come to the table. Dinner will be ready shortly. I will let Ruth know you are here.

Ruth! Orion is here dear. Will you be coming to the table soon? Dinner is almost ready.

Yes, I will be there in a minute. I am tired. We have done a lot today.

As Ruth walked into the kitchen Orion greeted her with a smile, Hello!

Hi, how was your day?

It was busy. We got a lot of stuff done at the office today. It looks like you and Olivia got a lot done too.

======

Yes, we did. I am going to have a yard sale so I can sell some of this stuff. I have an appointment Monday to see a lawyer with the girls so we can go over the will and make sure everything is legal. I haven't even began to go through the finances yet. I am almost afraid to. There is a safe in the garage where Mike kept all the important papers, documents, and such. I have no idea what I will find out there, but I figure I will go through that tomorrow.

It sounds like you have a good plan. Olivia, what are your plans for tomorrow?

I was thinking of coming over to help Ruth some more if it's okay with you. I didn't know if you had planned anything or not.

Honestly, I was just planning on doing some of the yard work that needs to be done. When I get done with ours, I can come over and do Ruth’s so that is one thing she doesn't have to worry about.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate the help. What time do you think you will be coming over tomorrow?

I will plan to be here after lunch. What about you, Orion? I think that depends on when I get finished with our yard. I may try to head over the same time as you.

Okay, Ruth, it's settled then. Orion and I will be here sometime after lunch for a few hours.

Okay, that sounds good to me.

The three of them continued to chat while they are. Once they were done, the dishes were gathered to the sink. Ruth thanked them for all their help, and told them she would wash the dishes because it was good for her to keep herself busy. She felt like she had so much to get done, but she didn't tell her friends that.

Once her friends had left, Ruth washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen. She made some more sweet tea and put it in the fridge. Then she decided to watch a little tv and relax. She went to the couch and relaxed the rest of the day. She had gotten a lot accomplished. What would she have done without Olivia today?

Ruth must have fallen asleep watching tv. She started dreaming again. This time she saw her husband standing in front of her and smiling. Then he was gone and it was the dark figure again just laughing cruelly at her. She woke up suddenly with her heart racing. She turned off the tv, and lay there awake for a little while.

Before she knew it, she went back to sleep. Again she began by dreaming about her husband. Then the dark figure would show up again and again. She was restless all night long and when she woke up the next morning, she was laying in the floor even though she had no idea how she got there. She must remember to talk to Olivia about these dreams later.

Ruth got up and made some coffee and oatmeal and then went to the table for breakfast. She just riddled with her food more than she ate it. She was having a hard time getting focused. She looked at her Bible on the shelf where she kept it in the kitchen. She knew she should read but wasn't in the mood. She still felt angry at God. She decided to go ahead and read a little anyway.

Ruth decided to continue reading in Psalms where she had left off previously. She read Psalms 46. She thought, be still and know you are God? Okay, I am not going to read anymore today. “God I am still feeling angry at you and I don't know what to do about it.
======
This verse in this Psalms says to be still and know that you are God. So I am going to stop here for now. I don't know what I am about to face today.

Ruth finished her prayer, put her Bible away, and took the dishes to the sink. She had a couple of hours before her friends would be there so she decided to see what was in the safe in the garage. She took a box with her so she could bring the contents inside.

Ruth opened the safe and took the contents out and put them in the box. She carried it back inside so she could sit on the couch while she went through it. She hadn’t noticed the letter that had been sitting on top of everything else until she got inside. It was a letter to her from Mike.

Dear Ruth,

If you are reading this, then something has happened to me. I have tried to organize things in a way that will help you sort things out. Pastor Ben has agreed to help you so you don't have to go through this alone. You may need a lawyer to sort through the legal documents.

I want you to finish selling the houses I have been working on to flip. My handyman will know what to do in case of my death. The contracts regarding what they are to be paid are all in a folder together. The personal finances and bills are in another folder. There are some other loose documents at the bottom of the pile. You will also find a copy of our will to answer any questions anyone may have. I want you to continue to live in our house if you are able. At least I will know you have a roof over your head.

Please don't be angry at me or God. It was just my time to go. God has a perfect plan and purpose for everything.

\\\\\\\\
I am so sorry we didn't prepare you better for this. I will be in a better place, but you still have work on earth to do. I want you to know I love you with all my heart. I would never leave you like that on purpose. However, I know you are close to God and he will take care of you while I am gone.

With all my love,

Mike

Ruth began sobbing uncontrollably. It was like Mike was speaking to her from the grave. He knew her so well. It was like he knew exactly the way she would feel. "God, Why did you take him? Should I have done something better, something differently? Could we have discovered his illness sooner? Could the doctors have done something different? What could I have done or anyone have done to prevent this from happening? I would have done anything to keep Mike from dying. I would have died in his place if you would have let me! I don't know what to do! Please, help me!"

Just then the phone began to ring. Ruth quickly tried to get a hold of herself so she could answer the phone. "Hello?"

Hi, Ruth, I know it's been a couple of days, but I was at a Bible conference and just didn't get time to call you until now. How are you doing?

Oh, Pastor Ben! I just read a letter Mike had left me. It was like he knew exactly how I would react to his death, and you caught me sitting here crying like a baby. I was just starting to go through the things in the safe so I can start making heads and tales of everything. Olivia suggested I have a yard sale and I was going through our things to figure out what I will be selling. I haven't even figured out the finances yet. I feel so overwhelmed by everything. Olivia and Orion will be coming by a little while later to help with everything here. Mike said in his letter that you knew his wishes if he were to die.

I promised him that I would keep an eye on you and help you as much as I could. He talked to a few of us people around town here to make sure you would be taken care of if he died. I didn't want to say anything until you found one of his letters. He left you more than one in various places he thought you may find them. Don't get rid of anything without checking pockets or places you think he may have left something. He told me he wanted to leave about 4 or 5 letters for you to find in different places to help you adjust to life without him. I am kind of glad you found the one in the safe first. The rest will make better sense seeing you read that one first.
======
Oh wow! So did Mike have a premonition?

I think so. He didn't talk much about it, but he was adamant that he had a plan in place just in case.

Ok, thank you, Pastor Ben. I will be on the lookout for these other letters. It is so hard to wrap my head around everything. I am supposed to meet with a lawyer Monday afternoon to go over the will and other legal stuff.

Do you need me to go with you or do you think you can handle it on your own?

I think I can handle it but I reserve the right to call you if I need to talk about it.

I think that is fair enough. I will be in my office most of the day Monday. I want to work on some sermon prep. Call me if you need me.

Thank you I will. I am just planning on going through the safe today and perhaps the rest of the spare room. I will need to sort out and figure out the finances next week. I have got some work cut out for me.

I can only imagine. I don't envy you one bit. Are you still feeling angry?

Well, Yeah sort of. This letter helped some. Now I have got some things to think about.

I bet you do. Am I going to see you at church tomorrow?

Yes, I plan on being there. I plan to go to church and rest on the Lord's day.

Okay. That is good to hear. Is there anything specific you would like me to pray with you about today?

Just keep praying for me as I sort through all of our belongings. I plan to have a yard sale. I think that is what Mike would want. Then whatever I can't sell, I was thinking of giving to the homeless shelter.

I think that sounds like a very good plan. Shall we pray?

Yes, please.

Okay. Dear God in Heaven, we praise your name. We thank you for providing everything we need when we need it like this letter you let Ruth find today. Help her to find the others at the time she needs them most too. Be with her as she sees the lawyer on Monday and help her to get her finances figured out. Continue to help her as she goes through her and Mike's belongings and give her wisdom to sell what she can. Help her to continue the process through her grief, and let us have a good service tomorrow at church.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen

Thank you, Pastor Ben.

You are very welcome. I will let you get back to what you were doing, and I will see you tomorrow at church.

Oh yes definitely, I will talk to you later.

Okay, bye-bye now.

Ruth sat there for a moment, amazed at how God had just worked. He had her find the letter and then the pastor called at just the right moment.
=====

It would still be awhile before Olivia and her husband arived, so she decided to continue to go through the contents of the box. There were a couple of random papers with writing on them that made no sense to her at the moment so she set these to the side for now. She lifted up one of the folders that had been in the safe. This one was labled "Current Properties" She glanced through the contents and realized they were the deeds and leagal documents reguarding the properties Mike had been currently working on to flip or that he owned. She knew she would need to take this folder with her on Monday. She set this one on the end of the couch to keep out.

The next thing she came to were hers and Mike's birth cirtificates and marriage liscence. There were a few family pictures, some of Mike's favorites. Their daughter's birth cirtificates were next. After that, he had some power of attourney papers he had been working on to get filled out, but hadn't completed. Wow! He really was preparing to die! Ruth thought.

Ruth wasn't quite sure how she felt about that. Why hadn't Mike discussed his feelings with her? Why didn't he tell her about the stuff he was doing in preparation of his death?

She got to the next folder in the box. This one was labled "Home Finances". She glanced through this folder and it looked like the normal bills, electric, water, gas, phone, and cable. So she added that to the other folder to take with her to the lawyer's office. The following folder was added to this pile too. It was labled "Business Finances".

Then there were just a few random papers Ruth assumed Mike had just wanted to keep and not lose, like his baptism certificate, some things the girls had given him while growing up, and some other random documents.

Just as Ruth had finished going to the box, there was knock at the door. Olivia and Orion was here. She had forgotten to eat lunch and it was already 1:30 in the afternoon. Hi, guys, come on in. I am glad you could make it. I haven't had lunch yet. I am about to go have some. Orion, you know where Mike kept his tools if you need them. You are both welcome to join me in the kitchen for some lunch and sweet tea if you would like.

Orion glanced at his watch, and said he would just go ahead and start working on the lawn because he wanted to get it done before dinner.

Olivia and Ruth went into the kitchen. While Ruth prepare her something to eat and got some tea, Olivia asked, "Where do you need me today?"
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I am planning on working to finish with the girls room next. You can help me in there if you would like. Did we clean out from under the bed yesterday?

I don't remember doing that yet.

Ok, I may want to do that today. I found a letter from Mike in the safe this morning.

Oh, really? Was it interesting?

It was like Mike knew how I would react to his death and was speaking to me from the grave. Oh, I miss him so much!

I bet you do! Oh honey! I am glad you found a letter from him. He was a good man and took really good care of you.

Yes he was and he did. I also found out from pastor ben that he left some more letters hidden for me to find. He had secretly prepared for his death and asked the pastor to watch out for me.

I believe he would do that. I am glad he did too.

Ruth finally sat down with her soup and sandwich. She handed Olivia a glass of sweet tea.

Thank you Ruth. Are you okay after finding all of this out?

It's a lot to take in and I am so tired of grieving right now. I am not sure what I think or feel at the moment. I actually feel just tired right now; physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. I don't know if I have anything left in the tank right now.

Maybe you should be resting instead of cleaning.

The problem is I can’t rest well either. I keep having these crazy dreams. A dark figure keeps haunting me and I keep seeing Mike and he is just out of my reach. I can never get to him. We can talk to one another, but can't touch.

========

Oh no, that's not good. If you continue having dreams like this maybe you should talk to your doctor about giving you something to help you sleep.

I don't know I have a lot to do right now.

I will see how this next week goes and go from there. I will start working on cleaning from under our bed I think before I finish working in the spare room. Would you bring all the clothes out of the closet for me in there so we can go through them. A lot of them can be put in the yard sale I think.

Yes, You know I will. Are you going to want me to make dinner for you again tonight?

No, how about I cook you guys something for helping me?

If that is what you want to do, but I will help you clean up and do the dishes.

Ok I never refuse help with the dishes. Both ladies laughed.

They got up from the table and headed off to work in the bedrooms. Olivia went to one and Ruth went to the other.

Ruth knew Mike had kept his Bible under his side of the bed, so she was wondering if there was another letter there. She pulled up the bed skirt, and there was his Bible just the way he had left it. She pulled it out and carefully set it to the side for now.

Ruth went ahead and pulled out the christmas wrapping paper and gift bags and boxes she had stored under there. She also found a bag of greeting cards she had forgotten about. Oh dear, Christmas is only a couple of months away. I hadn't even thought about the holidays. she thought to herself.

She found a shoebox under there she did not recognize. she opened it up to take a look inside. there were a stack of cards and letters that she had given to Mike over the years. Oh my goodness at the memories that flooded her then. She knew she would look through these later. This would all be a process and she couldn't bare it now. She swept out the trash with a broom, and put the Christmas items back under there neatly and set the Bible and shoe box on top of the bed.

Ruth went into the other room to see where Olivia was at. Olivia was just pulling the last hanger out of the closet. She had piled the clothes on the bed. They went through the pile of clothes together making sure to check all the pockets.

After going through the clothes in the closet, they went through the boxes. It took awhile to go through the other content because the closet had been so cluttered and used for storage. Ruth reached the top shelf to pull down the box her husband had kept his rings, watches, cuff links, and tie tacks in.

She opened the box and a tear came to her eye. She saw the letter tucked in the flap at the top of the box. Her hands trembled as she opened it to read it.




a signature image created for Marvelous Friend

© Copyright 2021 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020952-chapter-Two