*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021463-Chapter-Three
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2251563
Rising Star blog
#1021463 added November 30, 2021 at 7:45pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Three
This is still a work in progress, but I welcome any feedback.

Monday, September 13th, 2016

Monday morning, Ruth woke up suddenly. She had felt like this dark figure she has been dreaming about was sitting on her chest suffocating her. Once she woke up the figure was gone. She began crying a little. She wished these dreams would go away. She turned over and looked at the clock. It was 7:36 in the morning. She had planned on getting up at 8am anyway. She turned off the alarm, and got up. She went into the kitchen to brew her some coffee. She had kind of let herself go since the funeral. She knew she needed to clean up before going to see the lawyer today.

Once Ruth's coffee was finished, she had gotten a bowl of cereal and the milk out. She took her coffee and cereal to the table, and got her Bible down from the shelf so she could read when she had finished eating.

Ruth had eaten her cerial and drank most of her coffee when she opened her Bible to read. She continued reading in Psalms. It seemed like a good book to read when you were greiving. She began reading in Psalms 47 where she had left off. This time she felt the words were a bit more comfort to her.The letter she had found Saturday from Mike and yesterdays sermon helped calm her anger at God so she felt a little better.

She read for about 30 minutes, then decided she had better get into the showoer. She put her Bible and the dishes away, and went to her bedroom to pick out her clothes she would wear today. She decided on a pair of jeans, a brown and white printed blouse and a light brown sweater. She would wear her running shoes for comfort.

She went to the hall closet and grabbed a towel and wash cloth, and then got into a nice warm shower. She thought the water felt refreshing. The warmth seemed to sooth her aching sinuses. It was done and over before she knew it. It had felt good to take a bath.Ruth got dressed and cleaned up the kitchen. It was 10 am by now. She decided maybe she should call the doctor and get an appointment.

After hanging up with the doctor, She made sure she had everything she needed to take with her to the lawyer's office all in one place so she wouldn't forget anything.

The phone began to ring. She had to run to the bedroom to get it. She answered it just in time. Hello?

Hi, Ruth. How are you doing today?

Oh Pastor Ben, much better. Your sermon yesterday really spoke to my heart. I am just getting everything ready to go to the lawyer's office today. My appointment is at 1:30.

Ok, well I am glad you are feeling better and someone actually listened to my sermon.

Ruth laughed, you are a good preacher. A lot of people listen to your sermons.

laughing, Pastor Ben replied, sometimes I wonder. Anyway that's enough about my sermons. Remember if you need me today, call me. I should be here at the church office as far as I know. Let me pray with you quick because I know you are busy.

Okay I appreciate you Pastor.

Dear Father, I bring Ruth to you now. Be with her at the lawyers office. Take care of her every need even the ones she may not know she has. Help her to not get too stressed out and to get her leagal affairs taken sorted out quickly and smoothly. In Christ's name, Amen

Thank you I will call you later and let you know how it went

Okay, I'm going to hold you to that. Bye bye for now.

Good bye Pastor

Ruth decided now would be a good time to call Olivia. She dialed her friends number and the call went to voice mail. She left a quick message. By now it was time for lunch.

Ruth made herself a sandwhich and got a glass of sweet tea and sat down. Just about the time she sat down, her phone rang. Olivia had called her back. Hi, Olivia

You called me? What's up?

I just wanted to let you know I will be heading to the lawyers office soon. I will call you and let you know how it goes after I get back home. Will you be able to come over Tuesday if I need you?

After my doctor's appointment, I can. Speaking of doctors, did you call yours about the nightmares?

=======

Yes, I did call this morning. I have an appointment for Friday. If nothing else, my sinuses are killing me from all the crying.

Good, I am glad you called. I know you have been doing a lot of that.

Yes, I have. Well, I am going to go ahead and get off of here and finish getting ready to see the lawyer.

Ok Talk to you soon then

Bye

Ruth hung up the phone, took her empty dishes to the sink, and went to the restroom to brush her teeth. She fixed her hair, put on a little make up and then a little of her jewelry. When she thought everything was just right, she checked her purse and put it with her things to bring to the lawyer.

She thought she had better get on her way so she wasn't late. She had slipped the folders and other paperwork into a tote bag to make it easier to carry. She decided to check the mailbox on the way out. She then got in her car and took off to see the lawyer.

When she had pulled into her parking space, Ruth determined she had enough time to look at her mail. She opened one envelope. It was the new electic bill, $175. That wasn't too bad considering all the guests that had been in her house a few days ago. The envelope on the bottom caught her attention. It was from the bank. It was a notice the mortgage payment was due. Ruth thought, That doesn't make sense, we own the house. She stuffed her freshly opened mail into the tote bag and went in to see the lawyer.

They talked and went over things for an hour. They talked about the will. They talked about her finances and her newly discovered mortgage. She finally knew where she stood legally and was okay for now.

Ruth got back in her car, and drove back home. She decided she had better take a look at the finances and try to sort them out. She brought everything in and sat at the dining table with all the paper work. She got a glass of sweet tea and went to work.

Ruth startled when the phone rang. Hello?

Hi, Momma. This is Vivian. I wanted to find out how you are doing. Are you okay?

Yeah, I am okay. I have just been going through your Daddy's things and trying to sort everything out. How's school going for you?

It's okay. It's school. I did manage to get an A on my exam I took Friday.

That's great honey. I am so proud of you!

Thank you momma. I have to go to work soon. I love you.

I love you too honey. be careful not to overdo it.

I won't. It is just a part time job, Mom. I can do it.

Okay, you quit if it starts to interfere with your schoolwork. You know your Dad and I paid good money to put you girls through school. Let me know if you need anything, Baby girl.

I will momma. I have got to go now. Bye

She hung up before Ruth had a chance to respond.
/////
Ruth continued to go through her papers. She called the bank to find out about the mortgage. It turns out her husband had taken it out without telling her about it. Now she was behind a payment. She hadn't anticipated having to pay any bills until the next month because she thought my me had taken care of all that before he had gone into the hospital this last time.

She wasn’t sure what was due when. People who had been working on flipping the current houses had to be paid. She planned on taking a look at all the properties tomorrow to see what needed to be done and hoped she could catch the contractors while at the properties. There were rental properties she had to figure out what to do with.

Ruth anguished out loud to herself, “Mile why didn't you prepare me for this? I have no idea what I am doing here. How am I ever going to do this on my own? Oh God! Help me!”

She just sat there staring at it all feeling completely overwhelmed and alone. She wasn't sure what she would do. Should she ask for help or try to figure this out on her own?

Ruth decided to push it all to the side and get a bite to eat for dinner. There was some left over tuna casserole in the fridge that Olivia had made. So she decided to warm some of that up in the microwave. She also got her glass of sweet tea and sat back down to eat. Her heart was sad. She felt tired and warn down. How could this happen to her? Why did Mike have to die? How could this have been prevented? She didn't want to be in this position. She didn't want to have to deal with life without her Mike.

Ruth finished eating and drank down her tea. She gathered the dishes to the sink and washed them. She cleaned up her mess at the table. She felt too overwhelmed right now to deal with any more today.she just felt completely drained. She finished cleaning the kitchen and then decided to read a little in the bedroom before going to bed.

Ruth sat down on the bed feeling extremely alone. She lay down on the bed and let the tears flow until she fell asleep. Again Mike appeared just out of her reach while smiling and laughing. The more she reached for him, he would continuously step back just out of her reach like he was playing a cruel game with her. This time when she woke up soked in sweat, the dark figure was standing over her at the foot of her bed laughing an evil laugh and then disappeared.

Ruth decided to go to the restroom and wash her face. She had to be dreaming that. She had a few pills for anxiety left from when she fainted at the hospital and decided to take one hoping it would help her sleep better.

It took her awhile to go back to sleep, but when she finally did, to her disappointment, she had more disturbing dreams.

The dark figure appeared again. Then she saw Mike at a distance. She called out to him, but he just kept getting farther and farther away until she couldn't see him. Then she was frantically looking for him and couldn't find him anywhere. This time when she woke up the dark figure was in her face, eye to eye with her. She cried out, Jesus help me! Then the figure disappeared again. By this time, it was early morning. She decided she didn't want to sleep any more right now.

Ruth got up and went into the kitchen to get some coffee. She felt absolutely miserable. Her Dr appointment wasn't until Friday. It was only Tuesday. How would she be able to sleep any more like this.

Ruth decided to just read from her Bible. She really didn't know what else to do right now. It would be around another 3 hours before Olivia arrived to help her go view the properties. Her heart really wasn't in any of it at this point. She didn't like her new reality. She actually kind of resented it. She felt too young to be a window yet. This wasn't supposed to happen to her.

She opened her Bible and began reading the story of Ruth in the Bible. She finally understood Naomi’s bitterness and wished she still didn't understand it. She didn't want to feel bitter, but she did.

She read the whole book of Ruth and sat there thinking about it for a moment. Suddenly she had a new respect for Naomi she hadn’t had before and an even higher admiration for Ruth.





a signature image created for Marvelous Friend

© Copyright 2021 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021463-Chapter-Three