*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023637
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2241557
Poems and prose for various contests over the course of the decade.
#1023637 added December 26, 2021 at 10:59am
Restrictions: None
Christmas Wonders
Rylie walked along the snow covered path careful not to veer off and soak her well worn shoes. She was cold and her stomach was growling loud enough for anyone to hear. But no one could; because she was alone. Had been for several miles. As she rounded a corner, she could make out the faint glow of lights. As she headed in their direction she found that they were multi-coloured Christmas lights. Her heart beat quickened. There had to be people around, maybe even some that could offer a warm place to stop and get some food. Relying on the kindness of others grated, but it beat starving to death.

As she entered a grove of trees the lights sparkled like stars. Merry voices sang out and Rylie looked over to see a buffet of food spread out on long tables.

"Welcome. Join our feast." A small pixie like girl said to her as she gestured towards the buffet.

"Oh...."

"We are celebrating the winter solstice. All are welcome."

Rylie followed the girl to the buffet and filled her plate with a bountiful selection of foods. Someone else wrapped her in warm furs and lead her towards a huge bonfire. She sat. Ate and joined in the singing.

By the time she fell asleep she was warm and sufficiently fed.

In the morning, when the sun woke her, she was alone again, but the feeling of commandry hung with her. She pulled the cloak of furs around her like a hug and headed out of the grove of trees. She had not walked more that half a mile when someone called her name. She turned to find her family standing there looking wonderstruck.

She ran towards them and was engulfed in the warmth of their love.

Word Count = 297.

Notes


Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
For new Mods!


My owl signature from Gemini Gem.
© Copyright 2021 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023637