*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1025823-Soundtrack-Day-1---Word-Crimes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1025823 added February 1, 2022 at 7:24pm
Restrictions: None
Soundtrack Day 1 - Word Crimes
Soundtrack of Your Life Logo
Day 1

Before we begin on this month-long musical journey, let me just tell you, my musical tastes are as all over the place as my mind is. You're likely to get country one day and death metal the next, followed by some soothing classical. I don't choose the soundtrack, it chooses me. And there's inevitably always a song playing through my head when I wake each morning. I do tend more toward classic rock, classic country, and rock from the '80's and '90's but I'm not picky where my music is concerned. If it moves me, I'll listen to it.

Oh yeah! I like a bit of comedy thrown in sometimes, like today's tasty treat...



Backstory: While I was growing up, Mother Dearest taught English and History. Imagine coming home from school just to be corrected on everything you say or write. Yes. My mom proofread all of my homework. I couldn't turn in anything that was half-assed in most of my studies (math and science the only deviations). She was also my actual teacher for a couple of years while I was in high school. But you know what it did for me? It gave me the education I needed to excel in college/university. And the years of proper English being pounded into my head (not literally, of course) have left their permanent mark on me. Facebook posts and memes are like nails dragged down a chalkboard or an itch that can't be scratched. That's why I seldom log in to Facebook and I don't even do the Instagram or the Twitter things. Now, if I don't use a word properly or don't capitalize letters, it's done on purpose. But, back to the song and away from the rant... Weird Al has been cool to me since the 1980's. (Think about the song "Fat" which was a parody of Michael Jackson's "Bad") In some of his songs, he brings up topics that would otherwise be taboo, but he does it in a comedic way that isn't too offensive. (Well, I'm seldom offended, but he's still on the scene so he can't be too offensive). This particular song, "Word Crimes", takes a fun look at the huge increase in improper English that has blossomed since the invention of social media. I love the song, but you can be the judge of how you feel about it for yourselves.

© Copyright 2022 LeJenD' Looking Up (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' Looking Up has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1025823-Soundtrack-Day-1---Word-Crimes