*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1025890-Soundtrack-Day-2---The-Great-Below
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1025890 added February 2, 2022 at 1:57pm
Restrictions: None
Soundtrack Day 2 - The Great Below
Soundtrack of Your Life Logo - Feb. 2, 2022

The Great Below by Nine Inch Nails

         2021 saw many bad days for me, as it did for lots of others. Financial problems, ongoing health problems, and being unable to work due to those health issues added to my mental health issues. My oldest moved back out of the house in the middle of the year, leaving that gap in my heart wide open again. I had to get over that empty nest syndrome all over again. There were many days of crippling depression, days of not wanting to be alive, days of feeling alienated from my family and friends, and so, so many days of pain. With nothing to do, I had nothing to inspire me to live. Music became my best friend when my husband was at work. I could judge which way my mental health was headed by reviewing my playlists. On manic days, the songs I chose were always upbeat and happy, some annoyingly so, or aggressive and angry. On those days that the depression overtook me (and still overtakes me), sad tunes filled my playlist. There's one song in particular that is recurring on those days of darkness.



I would wake with Trent Reznor's voice singing this song on those days and it would be on virtual repeat in my head for the rest of the day. It calls to me on those darkened days, pulls me in. I have dreams of drowning myself, of "descending from grace in arms of undertow." Who is the "you" referred to in the song? And the "she"? They are parts of the "ME" I once was (and still see from time to time).

Luckily, not all days are that bad - or I wouldn't be here blogging about it. And happy days are just a song away.

The Great Below" lyrics

© Copyright 2022 LeJenD' Looking Up (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' Looking Up has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1025890-Soundtrack-Day-2---The-Great-Below