*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026405-Day-10---Bob-Dylan
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1026405 added February 10, 2022 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
Day 10 - Bob Dylan
Soundtrack of Your Life Logo
2/10/22



Other than Willie Nelson, one of the musicians that could make me swoon was Bob Dylan. The man's got the whole package: he writes his songs, he sings wonderfully (in my opinion), he plays guitar, and he plays the mouth harp. If I haven't said so before, let me say it now, I love the sounds that come out of a harmonica. Whether it is blues, country, folk, jazz, rock, or whatever, I love the sound of a harmonica.

Many of Bob's songs are just as meaningful today as they were back in the 1960's and 1970's when he wrote them. This is definitely true for the song I chose for today. The Times They Are A'Changin' has as much meaning today as it did in 1963 when it was first released.

Here are some interesting facts about this song:
* Bob Dylan commented about this song in the liner notes of his box-set album "Biograph" (1985) - "It was influenced of course by the Irish and Scottish ballads …'Come All Ye Bold Highway Men', 'Come All Ye Tender-Hearted Maidens'. I wanted to write a big song, with short concise verses that piled up on each other in a hypnotic way."
* The song was originally recorded by Bob Dylan as a Witmark publishing demo in October 1963, a version that was later released on "The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961–1991".
* In the song, the line "Waters around you have grown" is a reference to the Biblical Flood, a metaphor for the civil rights movement in the 1960s - and it could also reference events happening more recently in the United States, Canada, and certain other countries in the world.
* The Times They Are A'Changin' reached number 9 in the British top-ten.
* In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked The Times They Are A'Changin' number 59 on its list of the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time".

So yeah, it's worth a listen - or if you aren't a fan of his style of crooning, at least read the lyrics.

Other great and timeless Dylan songs include: Blowin' in the Wind (1962), Like a Rollin' Stone (1965), and Knockin' on Heaven's Door (1973).



Lyrics:

© Copyright 2022 LeJenD' Looking Up (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' Looking Up has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026405-Day-10---Bob-Dylan