*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1028474-20220307-Story
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2263218
A blog detailing my writing over the next however long.
#1028474 added March 7, 2022 at 5:42am
Restrictions: None
20220307 Story
March 7, 2022, 9:00pm

I received a rejection today. The rejection itself was not that bad - I mean, they are par for the course as a writer who tries to sell their work to trad publishers - but this was the fifth time I've tried to sell this story and each time it's been rejected. And, worse, I think it is one of the better medium-length short stories I have written.

I wrote it as an experiment to see if I could write in a series of voices, and it was first submitted to an anthology called Journey Through The Genres, which wanted writers to mash-up 3 or more genres. This got its first rejection, and it was also the most positive rejection.

While the story is well-written and we enjoyed it you have not done a mashup as we requested it's a genre jump from one to another.

(This is a copy-paste; maybe I was lucky not getting selected by a company that managed so many mistakes in one sentence.)

So I struggled to find markets. I did find another anthology but it received a generic form rejection, So I tried magazines. Because of its word count (6700), only a few magazines would suit, and the last of them rejected it today because

...it is not fantasy enough.


So... here's my dilemma. I was debating whether to post it here, but I have noticed that longer works (while it is not huge, it seems to be in the upper echelon of word count) don't get a lot of views; my current view-count for my longer works here is low, and let's not even talk about the lack of feedback. So is it worth my time to put such a long piece here? Would I get any meaningful feedback? Would I need to explain the genres I used/authors whose styles I copied?

Help with this would be appreciated. And that means if you think I shouldn't bother, let me know.


*BigSmile* *BookOpen*

© Copyright 2022 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1028474-20220307-Story